Surprise cuts

49erurtaza

17 minutes ago, RedRider said:

Is Kony Ealy the Patroit who hasn't shown up to some practices (or some of camp, something like that), and said it was because, "Bill and I have something worked out. It's cool." ?

He said you have to ask Bill about that one.

16 hours ago, EliteTexan80 said:

If the Texans had draft capital to trade, I'd like to kick the tires and see if a deal can be made. Smith has length and I think he understands our system (did he play in KC during Romeo Crennell's tenure in KC?)

He got signed after Crennell had left KC

On 8/13/2017 at 7:17 PM, Deadpulse said:

He has been in BB's doghouse all camp, didnt get game 1 off with other starters, and doesn't seem to be performing well in practice. Heres a Mike Reiss synopsis:

I don't know why you say he was in the doghouse all camp. He was held out of one practice.  He is not a starter, the starters in a 4 Dline look are Branch-Valentine, Brown and Flowers.   Why are you surprised that a 1st year rotational player got reps. Gilmour and Cooks are starters, that is why they did not play.  VanNoy played.   BB kept 27 players off the field.  I was at camp 4 days this year including both scrimmages . Ealy took full rotation both scrimmages. .  

3 hours ago, patman said:

I don't know why you say he was in the doghouse all camp. He was held out of one practice.  He is not a starter, the starters in a 4 Dline look are Branch-Valentine, Brown and Flowers.   Why are you surprised that a 1st year rotational player got reps. Gilmour and Cooks are starters, that is why they did not play.  VanNoy played.   BB kept 27 players off the field.  I was at camp 4 days this year including both scrimmages . Ealy took full rotation both scrimmages. .  

Probably because every report says he isnt performing well in camp? Also, Branch-Valentine-Brown are all interior players, the only edge player you listed was Flowers. Also, Lawerence Guy did not play either despite being healthy so either he is a starter and not the guys you mentioned or your entire theory is wrong. Van Noy did not play against the Jags either. Duron Harmon and Nate Ebnar didnt play, neither of whom are starters but both are virtual locks for the roster. 

On 8/15/2017 at 0:05 AM, Deadpulse said:

Probably because every report says he isnt performing well in camp? Also, Branch-Valentine-Brown are all interior players, the only edge player you listed was Flowers. Also, Lawerence Guy did not play either despite being healthy so either he is a starter and not the guys you mentioned or your entire theory is wrong. Van Noy did not play against the Jags either. Duron Harmon and Nate Ebnar didnt play, neither of whom are starters but both are virtual locks for the roster. 

So you think he is a cut. and I don't know about "every" report either.. He had a difficult time the first week, but by the 2nd week he was hitting his stride.  I also saw him used quite a bit in a 3 tech role that flowers seen often last season.  He was honest with a reporter about being held out of the first practice and then it seemed every reporter stated to look for faults in his game. The only new guys on the line that clearly outshone him were butler and guy.  

This came out of the Washington Post's beat reporters projected depth chart after the second preseason game. Sufficed to say, this would be eyeopening to cut a guy less than six months after giving him a four year contracts. That said, McClain hasn't looked that good so maybe cut your losses?

On 8/14/2017 at 4:32 AM, Hunter2_1 said:

We could be cutting Dion Lewis. We have a plethora of Running Backs with no outright leader.

I'd be shocked if he gets cut. He's the most proven playmaker at RB that the Patriots have....

3 hours ago, Nex_Gen said:

I'd be shocked if he gets cut. He's the most proven playmaker at RB that the Patriots have....

You could argue James White is the most proven after a superbowl record breaking performance. I like Lewis, I'd keep him all day long, but his overall impact last season was pretty minimal.

7 minutes ago, 49erurtaza said:

looks like the 49ers are going to cut Ahmad Brooks. Can be a good stop gap for a team at the OLB position

Yep, he'll latch on somewhere. New England could be a good fit, I think. He still has something left in the tank, would be an okay addition to a team looking for a stopgap guy, I agree. 

I've said it in other threads - can't really regret his tenure here. He was underrated his first few years, and was still largely competent his last couple of years here. 

Archived