Post your reaction when Joe Flacco leads the Browns to their first Superbowl

Slingin' Sammy

1 hour ago, BetterCallSaul said:

Soooo these are all fun hypotheticals, but the Browns are far too injured to actually win the Super Bowl. That’s my team, but realistically, it would take a GD miracle for them to make it, letalone win. 

Get some charges to stick to leshaun and I'll see what I can do.

5 hours ago, lancerman said:

It also makes HOF discussions a lot more complicated. Especially concerning the hotly debated Eli Manning situation. If Flacco gets two rings all of a sudden you have a real discussion about whether that is enough to automatically get you in. And if they say no for Flacco it makes things a lot dicier for Eli and potentially even Ben (though I think Ben will ultimately get in regardless).

Really??? I still can't see that happening. Eli and Ben at least to their credit have multiple Pro Bowls. Even as trivial as that might seem, a stack of them speak to some semblance of consistently perceived quality by the peanut gallery. Joe Flacco doesn't even have a single one. And if he gets his second ring, it would be coming off the bench. To me it's just a slightly more polished version of Jim Plunkett's career. And he has zero shot at a place in Canton himself. I think it's the same for Flacco. Maybe if he got three rings in this fashion it would complicate things for me. Now, a second ring or not it's still a slam dunk no for Flacco. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, TecmoSuperJoe said:

Really??? I still can't see that happening. Eli and Ben at least to their credit have multiple Pro Bowls. Even as trivial as that might seem, a stack of them speak to some semblance of consistently perceived quality by the peanut gallery. Joe Flacco doesn't even have a single one. And if he gets his second ring, it would be coming off the bench. To me it's just a slightly more polished version of Jim Plunkett's career. And he has zero shot at a place in Canton himself. I think it's the same for Flacco. Maybe if he got three rings in this fashion it would complicate things for me. Now, a second ring or not it's still a slam dunk no for Flacco. 

I think you are highly underestimating just how good Flacco was in the Super Bowl run in 2012. Dude had one of the greatest QB playoff runs ever. If he ends up doing that again, it's going to be really hard to put other guys in because of rings when Flacco was that much of a catalyst for his teams winning Super Bowls. Dude set the passing TD record for a single post season run and threw 0 INT's. It's going to be very hard for the voters to say him being the main reason his teams won isn't good enough and then looking at Ben and saying his rings get him in despite never playing all that well in those post seasons. Even Eli has 2011 and then was sort of carred by a much better defense in 2007. 

I don't think he gets in. My point is, he makes the arguments for other guys who are getting in primarily because of two rings a lot more contentious. 

12 hours ago, lancerman said:

I think you are highly underestimating just how good Flacco was in the Super Bowl run in 2012. Dude had one of the greatest QB playoff runs ever. If he ends up doing that again, it's going to be really hard to put other guys in because of rings when Flacco was that much of a catalyst for his teams winning Super Bowls. Dude set the passing TD record for a single post season run and threw 0 INT's. It's going to be very hard for the voters to say him being the main reason his teams won isn't good enough and then looking at Ben and saying his rings get him in despite never playing all that well in those post seasons. Even Eli has 2011 and then was sort of carred by a much better defense in 2007. 

I don't think he gets in. My point is, he makes the arguments for other guys who are getting in primarily because of two rings a lot more contentious. 

Fair enough. I don't think those 4 games leapfrogs the majority of his body of work, or moves the needle for him or anybody else with a similar case. Like it hasn't for Simms (dynamite in '86 playoffs) or Plunkett (two rings). Anything can happen in three or four straight games. I feel the same about Eli Manning who I think would still have a stronger case than any of those guys, even if Flacco does it with two different teams. And I don't think Eli belongs either. Ben, I definitely do, as he was just the more consistently good player. Admittedly, I treat "winning", and just being "productive" more in the same realm, compared to others who might elevate the concept of just being a winner higher than overall productive seasons that don't lead to a championship. 

BTW, Joe Flacco didn't set the single postseason passing record for TDs. He tied Joe Montana, but Montana did it in 3 games instead of 4. 

Edited by TecmoSuperJoe

18 hours ago, AkronsWitness said:

He would probably retire and then I would have to hear "Joe Flacco would have make that pass" every time Watson throws an incompletion for the next 5 years further driving me into insanity.

Do you really think he would retire when he could flip that into $30 million next year atleast? Maybe a 2 year $100m deal even with the right team?

2 hours ago, TXsteeler said:
16 hours ago, 4thandInches said:

He’s made 175 mil in contracts, you really think a guy who was on his couch a month ago is chasing money/a new deal?! He couldn’t care less.

And yet he signed with the browns for $2.5m, use some critical thinking skills.

This would sort of support the idea he's not in it for the money - I mean, there are punters and long snappers making more than Flacco right now.

• Like 3

Question - if Flacco can lead Cleveland on a deep playoff run and/or Super Bowl, how do his HoF credentials change?

This would be a resume that's similar to Kurt Warner, IMO. Not exactly the same (Warner was more impressive statistically I believe) but definitely a comparable situation.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, ET80 said:

Question - if Flacco can lead Cleveland on a deep playoff run and/or Super Bowl, how do his HoF credentials change?

This would be a resume that's similar to Kurt Warner, IMO. Not exactly the same (Warner was more impressive statistically I believe) but definitely a comparable situation.

Whoever gets the Browns to the Super Bowl at QB is a HOF’er. It doesn’t matter if it’s Nate Peterman. Auto HOF

1 hour ago, ET80 said:

Yep. He will go in as a Brown to.