2024 Offseason Thread

KingTitan

literally every coach in football says that stuff about WRs blocking. sean mcvay harps on it constantly. the issue with our previous regime and the reason it became a meme wasn't that they emphasized it, it was that they didn't seem to care about much else.

• Like 2

I know a lot of fans are out on Burks but I actually think he’d flourish in a WR4/offensive weapon role. Now obviously that’s not what you want out of a first round pick and expectation is at an all time low for him. However, I think coming in with low expectations and many not expecting much from him could be beneficial for him. Him having to be AJ’s replacement, I feel, doomed him from the start.

• Like 3

I also hope we remember that the average OT will struggle some their first year. Local radio talked about how Tyron Smith gave up 8 sacks his first year. 

But I know cooler heads will not prevail when/if Lathum has a bad game. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, TitanSlim said:

I know a lot of fans are out on Burks but I actually think he’d flourish in a WR4/offensive weapon role. Now obviously that’s not what you want out of a first round pick and expectation is at an all time low for him. However, I think coming in with low expectations and many not expecting much from him could be beneficial for him. Him having to be AJ’s replacement, I feel, doomed him from the start.

Didn't help they kept comparing him to AJ during the draft. 
A great point was made by someone on radio, I forget who.  But the average 1st round pick doesn't turn out to be a #1 WR. 

Four WRs picked before Justin Jefferson and CeeDee Lamb is the other that has shown to be #1. 
Five WRs picked before Burks. Two of them (Olvae and Wilson) are flashing #1 traits. The others are solid or still unproven (Drake London). 

The point was that most WRs picked in 1st end up being #2 to #3. Burks looks to me, to be more #3 as a consistent ceiling with chances to be #2 (Boyd like). 

But I still believe in him. 

57 minutes ago, KingTitan said:

I also hope we remember that the average OT will struggle some their first year. Local radio talked about how Tyron Smith gave up 8 sacks his first year. 

I'm as about anti Latham as anyone on this board and I agree with this. He should get a pass for this year. If he is an below average to average LT this year I will be happy. If he is average I will loudly eat my crow. 

7 minutes ago, TJM217 said:

I'm as about anti Latham as anyone on this board and I agree with this. He should get a pass for this year. If he is an below average to average LT this year I will be happy. If he is average I will loudly eat my crow. 

just curious - why so down on latham?

Ramon Foster ex Steeler OL, said it's about 3 years to truly see what you have in an OL prospect. 

I know people cringe at thinking it will take 3 years to see if Lathum is worthy, but it's more by year 3, you know what you have. Not that he won't improve but 3 years is a good trial.

1 hour ago, KingTitan said:

Yeah, that’s one reason it was so frustrating watching the Titans not pull the trigger on an early tackle last year. OLs as units take a while to gel, and even good OT prospects take time before they play really well, usually.

I fully expect Latham to not look good initially. But I hope he starts to show quality play by the end of the season.