Steelers DB Damontae Kazee is suspended the rest of the season.

BroncoSojia

Kazee should be suspended merely for how bad his overall play is.

Seriously though....Alot of these plays are bang-bang and while fans and media rage over this stuff, its easier to do that when youre not in the situation yourself.

There are alot of hits like this that are avoidable, but many arent, unless you just dont attempt to make a play at all...which I think is what the NFL wants.    Ive seen many plays where the defender starts going low, and then the offensive player lowers their head or falls low and there is contact with the head and the defender is flagged for something they didn't have much control of.

As far as the launching, its the same deal.   Ive seen launching done into the midsections of players and nothing is called.   If a defender starts launching and aiming for the midsection, but the offensive players head dipped into line with the where the defender was originally aiming for.    

Im not even defending Kazee.   He isnt a good player and is a horrid tackler.    But these rules are rigged against defensive players.    Im not saying many fines aren't justified and perhaps this one is too...but it also wasnt as blatant as some make it out to be.    He didn't have much time to react and the defender dove.   Kazee may have had poor form, but I don't necessarily see intent as far as targeting the head.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, 43M said:

Seriously though....Alot of these plays are bang-bang and while fans and media rage over this stuff, its easier to do that when youre not in the situation yourself.

There are alot of hits like this that are avoidable, but many arent, unless you just dont attempt to make a play at all...which I think is what the NFL wants.    Ive seen many plays where the defender starts going low, and then the offensive player lowers their head or falls low and there is contact with the head and the defender is flagged for something they didn't have much control of.

As far as the launching, its the same deal.   Ive seen launching done into the midsections of players and nothing is called.   If a defender starts launching and aiming for the midsection, but the offensive players head dipped into line with the where the defender was originally aiming for.    

Im not even defending Kazee.   He isnt a good player and is a horrid tackler.    But these rules are rigged against defensive players.    Im not saying many fines aren't justified and perhaps this one is too...but it also wasnt as blatant as some make it out to be.    He didn't have much time to react and the defender dove.   Kazee may have had poor form, but I don't necessarily see intent as far as targeting the head.

You're mostly right. A lot are unintentional and just unlucky. Those will still get flags but shouldn't get fines. It looked like Kazee knew what he was doing here, it was unnecessary. This didn't look like one of those he already committed and then the offensive player moved things.

• Like 1

What the H are defenders supposed to do. Hey guys, guess what? Football is a dangerous sport, if you don't like it then don't play. Also, you know why these rules are BS? They don't enforce them at the high school level. Its ok to take a 15 year old amateur football player's head off but don't do it to the adult getting paid millions to play a silly game.

It's honestly very strange to me seeing how many people are giving the, "what are defenders supposed to do?" argument here. These are some of the best athletes in the world. How about, don't dive head first at someone else who is diving? Play good defense and go for his legs. We need to stop acting like it's So Crazy on the field that these guys barely have time to react, let alone have time to make a decision on how they'll tackle someone. This isn't some crazy ask here....

• Like 1

the league is making it more difficult for defenders, essentially turning this into a league with less and less hard hitting tackles.   Safer , perhaps sometimes, then other ways (hitting at knees) this doesn't work.   

The plays happen so fast, the refs throw the flag in the name of player safety - fair enough. Problem is, in slow motion, when the player doesn't contact helmet/neck area, do they pick up the flag?   Maybe replay review of some penalties would help this out, right now it's inconsistent . 

Defenders will have to learn  how to keep these collisions to a minimum somehow, but it's going against what they learned and have done their entire playing time from day 1 - old habits die hard (if at all).  

1 hour ago, 43M said:

we have seen worse over the years,

but yeah, kazee is  not Troy thats for sure

28 minutes ago, seriously27 said:

It's honestly very strange to me seeing how many people are giving the, "what are defenders supposed to do?" argument here. These are some of the best athletes in the world. How about, don't dive head first at someone else who is diving? Play good defense and go for his legs. We need to stop acting like it's So Crazy on the field that these guys barely have time to react, let alone have time to make a decision on how they'll tackle someone. This isn't some crazy ask here....

Athletic prowess doesn't grant superhuman reaction time.   Thats mental processing time.

Like I said....its easy to talk when you aren't the one in said situation.     These are split second decisions most of the time.   Dont get me wrong, there are situations where its plainly blatant and avoidable....like if a player is hanging in the air for a jump ball and the defender launches himself into the players head.    But these full speed plays where a defender is running towards the ball and they go for a tackle and the players head falls in line with where they were attempting to hit....not nearly as easy to avoid as you seem to think.

I mean as a Steeler fan, Kazee sucks anyway. Having said that, the NFL has got to loosen some of the restrictions on defensive tackling. This however is not something they need to ease up on. Kazee has got to know better, he has been in the NFL long enough 

Now... "for the rest of the season" for Pittsburgh is 3 games cuz there's a good chance we lose all 3. Keep that in perspective when considering the "severity" of the punishment. 

1 hour ago, seriously27 said:

He literally couldn't go for the legs. Did you see the play? 

To me it's similar to someone slamming on their brakes on the highway because they weren't paying attention and someone rear ends them. Like obviously fault is on the offender but there are also plenty of ways to avoid this situation for the offense. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, 43M said:

Athletic prowess doesn't grant superhuman reaction time.   Thats mental processing time.

Like I said....its easy to talk when you aren't the one in said situation.     These are split second decisions most of the time.   Dont get me wrong, there are situations where its plainly blatant and avoidable....like if a player is hanging in the air for a jump ball and the defender launches himself into the players head.    But these full speed plays where a defender is running towards the ball and they go for a tackle and the players head falls in line with where they were attempting to hit....not nearly as easy to avoid as you seem to think.

These guys make millions of dollars BECAUSE they have superhuman reaction time? He hit the guy dead on! Why are we acting like this was so fast he didn't have time to do anything but lead with his head? To me, watching this play, it's 100% avoidable. It's technique and being smart as a defender. If your only defense is," I'm going to slam my helmet into this guy and hope he doesn't make a catch" then you are a really bad defender. Still an extremely weird take. 

18 hours ago, nagahide13 said:

This was not the hit to bring the "What are defenses supposed to do?!?!?" narrative. This is as "defenseless" as it is possible for a receiver to be.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o9ub_FZMAJg&ab_channel=SimplyAS10

This has been the standard for 15+ years.

I disagree. 

A) If you replay it at 0.5 you see he literally tried to come in with all shoulder and jar the ball. Nobody here believes that Kazee intentionally tried to injure the guy, it was just an unfortunate scenario. There was no celebration, there was no excitement, the only thing he did was check and see if he caught the ball, which is what his job was.

B) It easy for you to say, I'm curious to see what you would have done in that situation knowing its your job to not let him catch the ball? 

• Like 2

13 hours ago, LeotheLion said:

He literally couldn't go for the legs. Did you see the play? 

To me it's similar to someone slamming on their brakes on the highway because they weren't paying attention and someone rear ends them. Like obviously fault is on the offender but there are also plenty of ways to avoid this situation for the offense. 

I did see the play. And to me, the reason that stands out to me the most about why this argument makes no sense is that he hit him directly. If this was so fast, like a car crash, how did he manage to hit a guy diving sideways directly in the back? He knew exactly what he was trying to do. He wanted to hit him hard enough to make sure he didn't catch it. Unfortunately for him the only way he knows how to do that is with his helmet apparently. 

15 hours ago, seriously27 said:

How is it strange? some people look at it objectively and can see how this happened. This is a very narrow way of looking at it, this makes me question your athletic background, how could he have played "good defense" and went for his legs when his legs were in the air behind him? 

Have you ever played defense to even make suggestions like this?

Edited by MSURacerDT55
  • Like 1