Steelers DB Damontae Kazee is suspended the rest of the season.

BroncoSojia

3 minutes ago, ET80 said:

So guess we'll get an appeal down to one game?

Hopefully.  Kareem Jackson got a reduction when he appealed his.  As for the Steelers, really kinda sucks as Neal is still out as of right now, Killabrew isn't an every down player, Minkah is out.  Means we're going to be moving someone from corner to safety to play with Trenton Thompson.

I guess this sends the precedent that if a QB throws a terrible ball a WR has to dive for, your only option as a DB is to let the receiver try and catch it and then tag him down. Pretty lame to suspend or reject for this. 15 yard penalty and move on. The biggest offender on this play is Minshew's terrible accuracy.

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

I guess this sends the precedent that if a QB throws a terrible ball a WR has to dive for, your only option as a DB is to let the receiver try and catch it and then tag him down. Pretty lame to suspend or reject for this. 15 yard penalty and move on. The biggest offender on this play is Minshew's terrible accuracy.

I agree with this. It's unsure to me how the DB could have played it differently....other than not making a play to prevent the reception at all.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, nagahide13 said:

This was not the hit to bring the "What are defenses supposed to do?!?!?" narrative. This is as "defenseless" as it is possible for a receiver to be.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o9ub_FZMAJg&ab_channel=SimplyAS10

This has been the standard for 15+ years.

No, I think this is a perfect example. There is nothing Kazee can do to stop this catch. Now I get from a player safety standpoint that this play needs to be out of the league but we are literally rewarding the offense for a bad and very dangerous play. Kazee had to make a split second decision to make a play on the ball or pull up. Pulling up would be conceding a chunk gain which no defender has every been taught. 

Imo, QBs should also start having fines for these plays. If you want these hits out of the league, punish both parties. 

Edited by LeotheLion

8 minutes ago, Mesa_Titan said:

What was the other option? I'll answer for you, it's to let him catch the ball and down him there.

That has been the standard for 15+ years. You cannot kill a defenseless receiver. The on field officials, NY and Runyan all agreed on the  penalty and its severity. I'm kind of stunned that people here think that hit was okay.

The "what is the other option?" argument is nonsense. Offsides, "what are they supposed to do, just let them snap the ball?" DPI "are they just supposed to let receivers catch the ball?"

RTP. Holding. Literally every rule in the rule book is designed to stop one side from doing something illegal. So... Yes. They're supposed to not do the illegal thing. Even if that means allowing the opponent to do something.

• Like 1

You can use common sense on this. You can't launch into a diving player, that's just asking for someone to get hurt. You can still land on him or whatever you just can't propel yourself into someone who is in mid-air.

This punishment is for all of the star players that they don't want to suspend to see. They don't care about Koma Kazee or whatever his name is, he is a sacrificial goat.

• Like 1