Draft Discussion 2.0

FGK

14 hours ago, bosko1616 said:

I honestly believe Dorsey’s going to fall in love with Josh Allen at the senior bowl and Chubb will be the pick at one with Allen being the pick at 4 

Josh Allen is more Jake Locker to me than Carson Wentz. Talk about a raw QB that won’t do anything out there with that supporting cast. Worst case scenario at QB IMO.

Between 1995-2016 there have been roughly 265 QB's drafted and only about 40 that were quality starters. Cut that down in half and that's your rough number of franchise caliber QB's. That number could go up some if some of the younger QB's that we have a feeling are legit franchise guys continue down that path. Still the math shows the odds of a team landing a long term starting caliber QB are about 15/100, and the odds of landing a franchise caliber QB are 6/100. 

Chances that a team actually lands their franchise QB are very low. The moment you pass up on a guy you feel is the best just because of a history of lack of success is when you lose. The history of drafting the right QB for the league is slim to none, as it is the most difficult position to develop at. Thats why we have 28 or whatever starters since 1999 and the Steelers have like 3. 

Keep in mind that Dorsey fell in love with AND drafted a Big 12 QB in last years draft. 

The smartest move I think heading into next year is to invest heavily in the QB position. Not just in FA or high pick but in the middle rounds as well. 

Alex Smith or AJ McCarron in FA 

Darnold/Allen/Mayfield. Top 5 

stidham/furgeson/Finley  2-4

1 hour ago, bosko1616 said:

The smartest move I think heading into next year is to invest heavily in the QB position. Not just in FA or high pick but in the middle rounds as well. 

Alex Smith or AJ McCarron in FA 

Darnold/Allen/Mayfield. Top 5 

stidham/furgeson/Finley  2-4

you had me at the first two points.

That has to be what happens...

But a mid round pick...so, we're cutting Kizer?? Mccarron, Darnold, Kizer.....the fourth isn't making the roster...we can't afford to keep 4 QBs.

And you don't take a guy 2-4 if you think he has to pass waivers to the practice squad.

Maybe in the late 5th and beyond  but not the  middle rounds i dont think.

1 hour ago, Mind Character said:

you had me at the first two points.

That has to be what happens...

But a mid round pick...so, we're cutting Kizer?? Mccarron, Darnold, Kizer.....the fourth isn't making the roster...we can't afford to keep 4 QBs.

And you don't take a guy 2-4 if you think he has to pass waivers to the practice squad.

Maybe in the late 5th and beyond  but not the  middle rounds i dont think.

No keep Kizer we absolutely can keep 4 QBs. There’s no problem with that. We need to saturate the position till we have a franchise QB and above average backup. When you don’t have a franchise QB you do everything you can to find one. A 5th CB or WR or 6th OL doesn’t increase your winning percentage. But a Franchise QB does. 

1 hour ago, BleedTheClock said:

This has somewhere between 0% and -0% of happening.

Rosen doesn’t want to be a Brown. Darnold goes back to school. The next best player at the most important position is Chubb. You pair him with Garrett and you have arguably the best pass rushing duo in the league for atleast a decade. Grab a Franchise QB at 4 where there potential two. Ya I’d say youre wrong and there’s a very good chance that happens. If Darnold doesn’t declare I’ll bet on it. 

9 hours ago, NateDawg said:

Josh Allen is more Jake Locker to me than Carson Wentz. Talk about a raw QB that won’t do sell out there with that supporting cast. Worst case scenario at QB IMO.

Tell it, Nate Dawg.  I agree 100%. 

Can we, for the sake of argument, assume that: A) Darnold goes back to USC; B) Dorsey doesn't like Rosen; and C) that Mayfield is his guy -(I know, a LOT of assumptions). 

And of course, if he has no intent to draft a QB at #1, he could always swap back with someone that would move up (Jets, Giants, Broncos, Cardinals).  The Jets might be the best trade partner because they are sitting at #7, and you know they gonna probably be bad again next year...Anyway, the possibilities exist, but personally myself, I would just draft where we are and forget trading, but if someone wants to be stupid and overwhelm us, I'm open to it.

So, let's say that Dorsey will use the first two picks we have (say 1 and 6 and draft in those spots), and know he will use other resources to trade back into the top 10 or 15, whatever it may be, to draft Mayfield.

Who does he take at #1 and #6?  I don't care if he's #1 or #6, but I would really, really like to take Fitzpatrick with one of those two picks.  Other than that, I am not up on the top prospects, so I have no idea, but you're looking at Fitpatrick, Mayfield and one more out of the first round.

Gentlemen, you are on the clock....

7 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

I’m fan of Allen’s talent, without question.

Im excited to see how he looks at the senior bowl. He didn’t play with much talent so seeing him in that setting will be interesting.

I think he meant Mayfield as Josh Allen is a Junior.

Would've been great for our scouts/personnel group to get an up close look at both Josh Allen and Baker Mayfield at the Senior bowl.

I'm a little worried that they might place too much power in those interactions but seasoned scouts like Dorsey know better than that I'd think.

34 minutes ago, candyman93 said:

For the Houston pick it’s either Minkah or Barkley for me. If we draft a QB at 1, give them help and overhaul the offense.

Couldn’t you do the same thing with a trade though?  Move down a few picks, grab another talented bro and get a few picks in 2019 also?

We can have our cake and eat it too.

Archived