Draft Discussion 2.0

FGK

The Patriots are in the SB without one defensive Pro Bowl player.

And only 4 on O, including the automatics: Brady and Gronk, and the super stars FB James Develin and WR Matthew Slater, a 5th round pick.

Think about that.

'Coon's up another tree, people.

It's about players, for sure, but more about talent evaluation and coaching.

And up to now, we have not had either.

I brought up Jessie Bates from Wake Forest awhile back. I just finished watching 13 games of his today and I would like to take my name off his campaign. Watching him closer showed serious flaws. I still saw the flash that caught my eye from time to time and I still believe he is one of if not the best centerfielder in the draft but that is literally all he can do. He is terrified of contact. He offers ZERO in the run game or short passing game. He doesn't bend well at the knees(or chooses not to) when making a tackle(or whiff). He will not attack down hill at all but rather try to shield the runner until someone else arrives to make the tackle. Even worse I have seem him run away from plays to avoid contact. He has Top 45 abilities as a centerfielder but he is an UDFA when it comes to run defense, defending the flats, being a force defender, blitzing or tackling. Having that much fear and lack of aggressiveness is an extremely hard thing to overcome if not impossible at this point in his career.

There honestly might not be a good option for us to solidify FS in this draft. I have a few more prospect to watch but I am becoming more and more concerned.

5 hours ago, TheeRealDeal said:

I brought up Jessie Bates from Wake Forest awhile back. I just finished watching 13 games of his today and I would like to take my name off his campaign. Watching him closer showed serious flaws. I still saw the flash that caught my eye from time to time and I still believe he is one of if not the best centerfielder in the draft but that is literally all he can do. He is terrified of contact. He offers ZERO in the run game or short passing game. He doesn't bend well at the knees(or chooses not to) when making a tackle(or whiff). He will not attack down hill at all but rather try to shield the runner until someone else arrives to make the tackle. Even worse I have seem him run away from plays to avoid contact. He has Top 45 abilities as a centerfielder but he is an UDFA when it comes to run defense, defending the flats, being a force defender, blitzing or tackling. Having that much fear and lack of aggressiveness is an extremely hard thing to overcome if not impossible at this point in his career.

There honestly might not be a good option for us to solidify FS in this draft. I have a few more prospect to watch but I am becoming more and more concerned.

It wouldn't break my heart for the next year or two if we got a quality veteran FS who is even above average as a short term stop-gap. I actually miss the Brian Russell days. He was solid against both the run and the pass, even though his athleticism was only average.

2 hours ago, MWil23 said:

It wouldn't break my heart for the next year or two if we got a quality veteran FS who is even above average as a short term stop-gap. I actually miss the Brian Russell days. He was solid against both the run and the pass, even though his athleticism was only average.

I still think the best hit I ever saw delivered was Russell on Chad Johnson.... no way does he not get an automatic ejection on that nowadays.

2 minutes ago, BwickRedux said:

I still think the best hit I ever saw delivered was Russell on Chad Johnson.... no way does he not get an automatic ejection on that nowadays.

100% agreed! It was probably my all time favorite hit for a few reasons:

1. It was an insane hit

2. It happened on CHAD JOHNSON

3. There was a 100% chance the Browns were losing to the Bengals, who were obviously trying to run up the score. Russell played with pride like the consummate pro that he was.

4. I also remember laughing after the game since CJ had no idea where he was or what happened in a televised interview. In hindsight, that's pretty scary stuff with what we now know about head injuries.

Mark Walton RB Miami is a less explosive, lesser speed, smaller, not as good version of Kareem Hunt.

They both have exceptional contact balance, and I now have him as my number 3 RB in the draft behind Saquon Barkley, Ronald Jones, Rashaad Penny, and then Mark Walton.

He's so strong in the legs.

Dorsey probably gets him 3rd or 4th round.

27 minutes ago, Mind Character said:

Mark Walton RB Miami is a less explosive, lesser speed, smaller, not as good version of Kareem Hunt.

They both have exceptional contact balance, and I now have him as my number 3 RB in the draft behind Saquon Barkley, Ronald Jones, Rashaad Penny, and then Mark Walton.

He's so strong in the legs.

Dorsey probably gets him 3rd or 4th round.

You see the backs almost identically to me. I still love Saquon at 4 but because of those backs you've mentioned above, I'm also okay with the trade down.

4 hours ago, Aztec Hammer said:

You see the backs almost identically to me. I still love Saquon at 4 but because of those backs you've mentioned above, I'm also okay with the trade down.

Exactly.

A trade-down from 4 is a no-brainer for that reason and, assuming we take our QBOTF at 1, because no one else available there is worth #4 in this draft and because there will be QB-hungry teams will to trade up, imho.

Archived