2018 Draft Thread I

Forge

33 minutes ago, PapaShogun said:

I was just coming here to post that Im starting come around on Edmunds@9 if we dont trade back. Kid is just a versatile player and is only scratching the surface. He could very well man each LB position in this defense. Though I dont love him@Mike, he is capable of improving there and he'd be a excellent back-up plan there if Foster doesnt get his act together. He makes alot of sense@9. He's arguably one of the most talented players in the entire draft.

12 hours ago, Geek said:

Looking at Edmunds combine numbers it's easy to understand why some draftniks want to try him at LEO. He's got prototypical size, speed, and length for an edge rusher. I'm curious to see what his 3 cone time is.  His proday in on the 14th so we won't have to wait long to find out.

This is the reason I might consider him over Smith.  

3 hours ago, PapaShogun said:

Very interesting. It encourages me and worries me at the same time. I think that "instincts" for a LB are a little like instincts for a QB. Sure everyone can improve but to some extent it's something that you either have or don't have. Chris Borland was athletically challenged but had instincts that were off the chart.  Edmunds sounds like the exact opposite. But in this day and age being able to cover guys is a necessary and still rare quality for a LB. He can do that with the best of em. Great.  Also, if he's this athletic and a "see ball, get ball" kind of guy maybe he can become a "see QB, get QB" kind of guy. That's my real hope for this guy and one of the reasosn I would consider him at 9.

6 hours ago, PapaShogun said:

By the way, Kalen Ballage. Yay or nay? 

When? In the 6th or 7th OK. Otherwise nay for me.  Played 46 games in his career and didn't even total 2000 yards in those 46 games.  Saw a couple of his games and he looked like just another guy on the field. Nothing about him stands out to me.

3/6: "Hearing that Courtland Sutton made some major noise within the 49ers organization during the combine. Don't be surprised if Sutton is pick at No. 9 or in trade down. The 49ers like Harold Landry, too." - Vincent Frank, FOX Sports

Not sure how much I actually believe that, but there you go. 

Just now, Forge said:

To be clear, I'm not sure about the Sutton part. I can completely believe the Landry part lol

I just have a feeling we won't be drafting at 9 unless someone who don't expect to be there drops like Nelson or Barkley. If we trade back to 12-15 would be nice area to take Landry. 

10 minutes ago, 49erurtaza said:

I just have a feeling we won't be drafting at 9 unless someone who don't expect to be there drops like Nelson or Barkley. If we trade back to 12-15 would be nice area to take Landry. 

I can totally see us drafting at 9. We all act like it's easy to trade up or down, but the reality is that probably every team is looking to move up or down for the right price, and the right price happens only on occasion. If we trade down a bit, we'll probably end up picking the guy we were ready to pick at 9. If we pick someone at 9, it will be because there wasn't any interesting offer, or we lucked out tremendously in having a guy drop to our spot that we didn't think would be there.

37 minutes ago, rudyZ said:

I can totally see us drafting at 9. We all act like it's easy to trade up or down, but the reality is that probably every team is looking to move up or down for the right price, and the right price happens only on occasion. If we trade down a bit, we'll probably end up picking the guy we were ready to pick at 9. If we pick someone at 9, it will be because there wasn't any interesting offer, or we lucked out tremendously in having a guy drop to our spot that we didn't think would be there.

The "ease of trading back" point is a great one. I have said this in previous years that it's not quite that simple because it requires the 49ers to not fall in love with any player available (the chance of missing out on someone they really like) plus receiving an offer they like.

That said, I don't care for the top of this draft class with the exception of a couple QBs (which we don't need) and Nelson (who likely won't be there). So, I would trade down well under value in this draft. I don't see a big difference this year between #9 and #19, so if one of those teams offered even just an extra 3rd to climb 10 spots, I would do it below value.

But that's me. It's impossible to say if Lynch/Shanahan feel the same way.

Archived