Is JJ McCarthy NFL-caliber?

7 hours ago, goldfishwars said:

Yeah, his tape is weirdly impressive. He makes plays when he needs to, throws well over the middle of the field and can create out of structure (throw on the move etc). He's basically the inverse of Michael Penix in this draft, where you don't get anything from a creativity standpoint. 

Definitely feels like opposite sides of the same coin with Penix in that respect.

With Penix...you have oodles of tape of him just throwing the ball all over the yard.  Some of it's good, some of it's pretty bad but he gets away with a lot of it.  But you see almost zero real improvisation and very little where he's even in real high pressure situations and moved off his spot and still delivers big clutch plays.

Whereas with McCarthy...you have barely any tape of anything.  But in that small sample, there are definitely some plays and throws that don't exist in Penix extensive tape.

It's a weird one to deal with, but i can certainly see where that skews some people toward McCarthy.  The guy who is much younger and hasn't necessarily shown that he can't make more of those "routine throws" with bigger volume.  Whereas i think there's enough with Penix to surmise that he's going to be a pocket passer who you really need to protect well, and isn't going to give you a ton off schedule or under heavy duress.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Tugboat said:

Definitely feels like opposite sides of the same coin with Penix in that respect.

With Penix...you have oodles of tape of him just throwing the ball all over the yard.  Some of it's good, some of it's pretty bad but he gets away with a lot of it.  But you see almost zero real improvisation and very little where he's even in real high pressure situations and moved off his spot and still delivers big clutch plays.

Whereas with McCarthy...you have barely any tape of anything.  But in that small sample, there are definitely some plays and throws that don't exist in Penix extensive tape.

It's a weird one to deal with, but i can certainly see where that skews some people toward McCarthy.  The guy who is much younger and hasn't necessarily shown that he can't make more of those "routine throws" with bigger volume.  Whereas i think there's enough with Penix to surmise that he's going to be a pocket passer who you really need to protect well, and isn't going to give you a ton off schedule or under heavy duress.

McCarthy is going to be an upside pick. You seen him do it - while very little sample size but the argument for him is Harbaugh didn't need him to carry the offense. The run game at Michigan couldn't be stopped. 

McCarthy's ceiling starts at 8 in Atlanta. If they get Fields - I say it could be Minnesota, Denver, Seattle or Pittsburgh at the latest. 

On 2/21/2024 at 4:55 AM, RedandPewterReturns said:

McCarthy's ceiling starts at 8 in Atlanta. If they get Fields - I say it could be Minnesota, Denver, Seattle or Pittsburgh at the latest. 

Yes, please. Many of us like him a lot and feel we have the capital to go up from 11 and get him.

He likes us too:

JJ McCarthy, on meeting with the Vikings at the Combine: "It went amazing. Coach O'Connell led the whole thing, and just being able to see him in person, he was a lot taller than I thought. And coach McCown, just everything about what they were talking about, everything about what they wanted out of a quarterback, it's something that aligns with what I want. Just being able to get on the board with them, have them go through their plays, it was something really special and I enjoyed it."

https://www.si.com/nfl/vikings/news/jj-mccarthy-michael-penix-jr-speak-highly-vikings-interviews

Just now, BobbyPhil1781 said:

Aren't those incredibly small hands or am I misremembering?

9" seems to be the threshold for QB hand size. I'm surprised that his hands are that small since he cranks the ball far back in his release.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, BobbyPhil1781 said:

Aren't those incredibly small hands or am I misremembering?

Kenny Picketts hands were 8.5"

Dak Prescott measured in at 6'2" 226 lbs and 10" hands

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Rich7sena said:

9" seems to be the threshold for QB hand size. I'm surprised that his hands are that small since he cranks the ball far back in his release.

I always thought like 9 1/2 was the "average" size but like I said, I could be misremembering