Playoffs! Rd. 1 -Green Bay at Dallas- House Money Game

Refugee

28 minutes ago, {Family Ghost} said:

I don't understand why we aren't kicking the ball out of the endzone on basically every kickoff.  I've been told that these kickers have plenty of leg to do it, but are coached to place these kicks by design.  Seems like stupid design if that's the case.  Occasionally we stop them short of the 25, but it seems they wind up out past the 30 more often than not.  

Coach B is definitely telling Anders to kick high and short, trying to force a run back.  In the CHI game, 3 of the 4 returns by the Bears got past the 30.  The one that didn't still got to the 22.  Seems like an unnecessary risk that isn't worth whatever reward coach B is looking for.

1 minute ago, packfanfb said:

Dillon was the only player who did not practice, per MLF. 

Guess he's still dealing with that stinger. 

The guy I really want back out there is Watson.
He had his best game against Dallas...in Dallas.

31 minutes ago, {Family Ghost} said:

I don't understand why we aren't kicking the ball out of the endzone on basically every kickoff.  I've been told that these kickers have plenty of leg to do it, but are coached to place these kicks by design.  Seems like stupid design if that's the case.  Occasionally we stop them short of the 25, but it seems they wind up out past the 30 more often than not.  

It is part of the analytics stuff.  We more than likely do stop teams at around the 25, just like a touchback, on average.  Sometimes that is the 10, sometimes that is the 35.  When it is averaged out, it probably is a net gain, even though the big gainers really do hurt.  

I also agree, that I would just kick it for a touchback and avoid penalties or big returns.  But I would wager that teams that kick like we do have a pretty similar drive starting position average (did I say that right?) to a team that just buries it into the back of the endzone every time.

38 minutes ago, {Family Ghost} said:

if you have a top notch unit kick short and tackle if they don't fair catch............we don't have that unit. The bears were over the 30 eary time.

If he has the leg i agree through the EZ.

1 hour ago, PACKRULE said:

a bit late to the thread but Karlson is not like his brother. Leg is weak can't seem to kick it deep enough lots of run backs. If I'm Gute in the OS i'm looking to improve on that. 

I mean, they're certainly bringing in competition for the position.  Or at least they'd be dumb not to.  But Carlson has been pretty much what you expected.  He's 24th (out of 33rd) in FG%.  Of his 6 misses, all of them were from 40+ yards.  The XP% is at 87.2%, which is worst amongst kickers.  His FG% misses were against Chicago (at home), NY Giants (road), Detroit (road, 50+), LA Chargers (home, 50+), LA Rams (home), and Denver (road).  All of his XP misses came on the road (except one).  And all of them were in November or December.  He didn't miss any XPs in September or October.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

I mean, they're certainly bringing in competition for the position.  Or at least they'd be dumb not to.  But Carlson has been pretty much what you expected.  He's 24th (out of 33rd) in FG%.  Of his 6 misses, all of them were from 40+ yards.  The XP% is at 87.2%, which is worst amongst kickers.  His FG% misses were against Chicago (at home), NY Giants (road), Detroit (road, 50+), LA Chargers (home, 50+), LA Rams (home), and Denver (road).  All of his XP misses came on the road (except one).  And all of them were in November or December.  He didn't miss any XPs in September or October.

anyway you can see what hash he was on for the misses?  My memory is telling me that he really doesn't like the left hash for some reason.

1 minute ago, Brat&Beer said:

GDg1UhQXYAAGuVe?format=jpg&name=large

19 guys on the report, but filtering out the FP guys, leaves us with 10: 

LP: Romeo Doubs, Christian Watson, Aaron Jones, Elgton Jenkins, Jonathan Owens, T.J. Slaton, Preston Smith, Isaiah McDuffie, Jaire Alexander

DNP: AJ Dillon 

Side note: It was reported today that Gilmore dislocated his shoulder against Washington last week. Plan is for him to play with a harness, but for any player to come back in 7 days after a separated shoulder, that seems like a stretch. Something to watch this week. 

1 hour ago, CWood21 said:

I can get on board with some misses from distance no problem there as a rook. What concerns me is the XP misses and his wimpy leg on KO. He can't seem to get it through the EZ and for a soccer player 24 he should have the leg he is not going to be adding leg. Remove the option of returns on KO with a strong legged kicker. I swear my a$$ puckers up every time i see that returned start coming down field if we can stop them by the 35 we're doing well. But they will break one.  

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, PACKRULE said:

I can get on board with some misses from distance no problem there as a rook. What concerns me is the XP misses and his wimpy leg on KO. He can't seem to get it through the EZ and for a soccer player 24 he should have the leg he is not going to be adding leg. Remove the option of returns on KO with a strong legged kicker. I swear my a$$ puckers up every time i see that returned start coming down field if we can stop them by the 35 we're doing well. But they will break one.  

Agreed (except for the puckering).  Way too many fundamental mistakes that really shouldn't be happening at this level.  I don't know what the off season plan is but Anders better know there is competition coming and be ready to fight for his job.  PAT and KO can not have more than the very occasional hiccup.  Several games we were chasing a missed extra point in close ones.

Edited by Refugee