2024 Off Season Thread

8 hours ago, AnAngryAmerican said:

I totally understand what you’re saying. It makes absolute sense.

But maybe I’m being hopeful, but the best marketing is winning and the best way to win is to build this roster and then go get a QB. I think all of us (or so it seems) want to trade down, acquire picks and plan for 2025 and beyond. 

Now, if they trade a bounty to get a QB and he turns out to be the next Mahomes/Burrow/Allen then no one will care what we has to give up. If we trade up and he turns out to be, even if not a Paxton Lynch level bust, but a Derek Carr or Dak Prescott type who is good enough to start and win games but isn’t that elite, game-changing talent who his presence alone makes you a legit SB contender, we’re totally screwed.

In fact, if he’s a Lynch-level bust at least we would start over from scratch with a top-3 pick, a new coaching staff and FO, but if he’s good not great, we end up in the 7-10 to 10-7 occasional WC squeaker-in, we’re mired in an even worse mess. It’s better to totally suck and start from scratch with cap room and high draft picks than be middle of the road. 

I hope you’re right. But I can’t stop looking at this photo and feeling HORRIBLE for the marketing department. 

Ronnie Perkins. We’re featuring Ronnie Perkins!

• Like 1

8 hours ago, broncosfan_101 said:

I hope you’re right. But I can’t stop looking at this photo and feeling HORRIBLE for the marketing department. 

Ronnie Perkins. We’re featuring Ronnie Perkins!

The lack of star power is particularly noticeable when you look at who we decided to feature, and what jerseys are available for sale. Surtain, Sutton and Elway. LOL. That's a mess. Alex Singleton is prominently featured. We need star power in the worst way. 

Just some teams to keep an eye on when it comes to a trade at 12.

• Arizona - they have pick 27, 35, 66, 71 and 90. If they want to move up to 12 and take another impact player (OT?, OLB? CB?), they could certainly have the ammo to package a few of those picks which would likely be attractive to Denver.
  • Green Bay - it sort of runs counter to their MO, but I have read a few things speculating they want want to try and get an impact player after last season's success. They have 25, 41, 58, 88 and 91. A trade down in R1 could net us another Day 2 pick.
  • Philadelphia - they've been calling about trades, and they have 22, 50 and 53. Definitely a candidate for a move with Howie's tendencies. Landing that extra 2nd would be fantastic and 22 is still firmly in range for Nix if that's the path we take.
  • Cincinnati - I don't necessarily see this as super likely, but they have 18, 49, 80 and 97. Probably don't land 49 in a trade back here, but moving back once and then again could be on the table. 
  • LA Rams - they haven't made a R1 pick in years, but apparently they have been making calls. They have 19, 52, 83, and 99. Could they package 18 and 52 to move up and ensure they get their guy?
  • Like 2

11 minutes ago, broncos67 said:

• Arizona - they have pick 27, 35, 66, 71 and 90. If they want to move up to 12 and take another impact player (OT?, OLB? CB?), they could certainly have the ammo to package a few of those picks which would likely be attractive to Denver.
  • Green Bay - it sort of runs counter to their MO, but I have read a few things speculating they want want to try and get an impact player after last season's success. They have 25, 41, 58, 88 and 91. A trade down in R1 could net us another Day 2 pick.
  • Philadelphia - they've been calling about trades, and they have 22, 50 and 53. Definitely a candidate for a move with Howie's tendencies. Landing that extra 2nd would be fantastic and 22 is still firmly in range for Nix if that's the path we take.
  • Cincinnati - I don't necessarily see this as super likely, but they have 18, 49, 80 and 97. Probably don't land 49 in a trade back here, but moving back once and then again could be on the table. 
  • LA Rams - they haven't made a R1 pick in years, but apparently they have been making calls. They have 19, 52, 83, and 99. Could they package 18 and 52 to move up and ensure they get their guy?

Eagles are the team I am worried about getting proper value. Howie always seems to come out on top. 

5 minutes ago, broncos67 said:

22 and 53 for 12 feels like an extremely fair deal IMO

Oh no doubt. My worry is Howie gets us for like 120 and a 2025 4th or something ridiculous. We landed this haul in 2019 when the Steelers moved up for Devin Bush and we took Fant.

pick 10 (first round) to the Pittsburgh Steelers for 20 (first), 52 (second) and pick 83 (third) in 2020.

5 minutes ago, Scoundrel said:

Oh no doubt. My worry is Howie gets us for like 120 and a 2025 4th or something ridiculous. We landed this haul in 2019 when the Steelers moved up for Devin Bush and we took Fant.

pick 10 (first round) to the Pittsburgh Steelers for 20 (first), 52 (second) and pick 83 (third) in 2020.

That would be wonderful. I am really hoping we find a way to move back not once, but twice. Would be great to come out of this draft with 3 additional picks. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, broncos67 said:

That would be wonderful. I am really hoping we find a way to move back not once, but twice. Would be great to come out of this draft with 3 additional picks. 

They need to stay strong and force the best deal they can get. There will be some serious talent sitting at 12 with four QBs gone (1/3 of the draft up to this point)

1 hour ago, broncos67 said:

These are the teams I have identified as candidates. I even mocked us trading with Philly and landing Nix at 22 and Fiske at #50. I've also heard some discussion that the Rams are interested in moving up for an OT, and their appear to be a few that figure to be available at #12. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, broncos67 said:

The lack of star power is particularly noticeable when you look at who we decided to feature, and what jerseys are available for sale. Surtain, Sutton and Elway. LOL. That's a mess. Alex Singleton is prominently featured. We need star power in the worst way. 

One of the weekly complaints throughout the season was the lack of impact players.

Trading down sounds great to me but not so far we miss out on a future all pro.

57 minutes ago, AKRNA said:

One of the weekly complaints throughout the season was the lack of impact players.

Besides PSII, the highest drafted starter on our defense are a few players from the 3rd round. We have multiple starters who were drafted in the 6th, 7th, and undrafted. Our team is so devoid of talent that we're not just missing a couple all pro's, we're missing average starters across the board. If we come away from this draft with 3-4 solid starters, i'd be ecstatic. Moreso than if we got one all-pro and a replaceable depth piece or two. I'd like to still stay in the 1st round (i'm not in love with the 2nd round talent this year) but if we end up in the late 20s and have picked up 3-4 additional picks this year and next, that'll do way more to set us up well for the future. 

On that same line of thinking, we're multiple years away from being competitive and some positions take longer to develop than others. I'd rather we focus our attention on those positions this year and next (OL/DL/CB) before we start focusing on some of the more impactful but easier to transition positions (WR/Edge).

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, grizmo78 said:

Besides PSII, the highest drafted starter on our defense are a few players from the 3rd round. We have multiple starters who were drafted in the 6th, 7th, and undrafted. Our team is so devoid of talent that we're not just missing a couple all pro's, we're missing average starters across the board. If we come away from this draft with 3-4 solid starters, i'd be ecstatic. Moreso than if we got one all-pro and a replaceable depth piece or two. I'd like to still stay in the 1st round (i'm not in love with the 2nd round talent this year) but if we end up in the late 20s and have picked up 3-4 additional picks this year and next, that'll do way more to set us up well for the future. 

On that same line of thinking, we're multiple years away from being competitive and some positions take longer to develop than others. I'd rather we focus our attention on those positions this year and next (OL/DL/CB) before we start focusing on some of the more impactful but easier to transition positions (WR/Edge).

It's not a coincidence that our D is a bottom 5 unit.

1 hour ago, AKRNA said:

Here’s what’s interesting about the draft this year. I have 13 with a true first round grade:

Marvin Harrison JR,

Malik Nabers

Brock Bowers

Joe Alt

Drake Maye

Jayden Daniels

Rome Odunze

Olu Fashanu

Quinyon Mitchell 

Johnny Newton

Cooper Dejean

Taliese Fuaga

Jared Verse

2 with an admitted first round grade that I would not draft in the first due to severe character or injury concerns:

Caleb Williams

Laiatu Latu

and 63(!!) with second round grades!

from pick 15 to the middle of the 3rd round I think you are getting a quality starter and potential impact player.

That’s why I’m all for trading down and maximizing picks in that range this year. We currently have maybe 2 (12 & 76) I would love to see us get 4-5 in that range. 

Edited by broncos_fan _from _uk
  • Like 2