2024 Off Season Thread

18 minutes ago, 7DnBrnc53 said:

When they were referring to the DNVR podcast, they said that they can buy views because they get more money by lying to the people, which those two don't do. Chopped Liver used to cover the Giants and the Bills, so he isn't just some guy. He has been doing this for a while.

Also, I don't know how much Elway is still involved, but I think that he is involved somewhat. The same FO that has been screwing drafts up since 2017 is still there:

https://www.denverbroncos.com/team/front-office-roster/

https://broncoswire.usatoday.com/2019/05/08/denver-broncos-announce-several-changes-to-scouting-staff/

If this ownership group is so great, why aren't they getting rid of all these people, and cutting off any influence that Elway still may have (which, I believe is at least partial)?

Well, if you bought a business that you knew NOTHING about running, would it be smart or stupid to fire everyone regardless because YOU think a clean slate is needed ??

1 hour ago, 7DnBrnc53 said:

When they were referring to the DNVR podcast, they said that they can buy views because they get more money by lying to the people, which those two don't do. Chopped Liver used to cover the Giants and the Bills, so he isn't just some guy. He has been doing this for a while.

Also, I don't know how much Elway is still involved, but I think that he is involved somewhat. The same FO that has been screwing drafts up since 2017 is still there:

https://www.denverbroncos.com/team/front-office-roster/

https://broncoswire.usatoday.com/2019/05/08/denver-broncos-announce-several-changes-to-scouting-staff/

If this ownership group is so great, why aren't they getting rid of all these people, and cutting off any influence that Elway still may have (which, I believe is at least partial)?

Just wanted to point out that the USA today article is almost 5 years old. So, what's the relevance?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, AKRNA said:

Just wanted to point out that the USA today article is almost 5 years old. So, what's the relevance?

A fair amount of those guys are still there today, and it shows you when they started.

3 hours ago, Cutler06 said:

Well, if you bought a business that you knew NOTHING about running, would it be smart or stupid to fire everyone regardless because YOU think a clean slate is needed ??

Well, that's what's wrong with pro ownership. Yes, they have the money, but I don't think a lot of these owners care (or know much) about the game anymore. However, with some research, they should see that this is a team that hadn't had a winning season in six years. And, knowing that, why would you keep the people in the personnel (FO and scouting) departments?

3 hours ago, 7DnBrnc53 said:

Well, that's what's wrong with pro ownership. Yes, they have the money, but I don't think a lot of these owners care (or know much) about the game anymore. However, with some research, they should see that this is a team that hadn't had a winning season in six years. And, knowing that, why would you keep the people in the personnel (FO and scouting) departments?

Are you the younger guy in the videos or the older one? 

• Like 4

4 hours ago, 7DnBrnc53 said:

Well, how do you make evaluations of job performance if you don't see them while they're doing their job.  Not everyone deserves to lose their job because of performances of others....it's not always black and white. 

3 hours ago, Cutler06 said:

Well, how do you make evaluations of job performance if you don't see them while they're doing their job.  Not everyone deserves to lose their job because of performances of others....it's not always black and white. 

They do if this FO and scouting department keeps putting square pegs into round holes. One example is 2017 and DeMarcus Walker. He was a 4-3 DE. Why on earth did the Broncos draft him? They run a 3-4. They moved him to outside linebacker, which was the dumbest thing ever. They are doing that now with Drew Sanders, who is a 4-3 MLB. These morons want to move him to 3-4 OLB.

Edited by 7DnBrnc53

1 hour ago, 7DnBrnc53 said:

They do if this FO and scouting department keeps putting square pegs into round holes. One example is 2017 and DeMarcus Walker. He was a 4-3 DE. Why on earth did the Broncos draft him? They run a 3-4. They moved him to outside linebacker, which was the dumbest thing ever. They are doing that now with Drew Sanders, who is a 4-3 MLB. These morons want to move him to 3-4 OLB.

You've absolutely lost me now. You're talking about the 2017 draft, posting articles from 2019, talking about Elway and his input, and trying to make that relevant to todays team and FO. You're acting like there have been no changes in any department when in fact there have been drastic changes in ownership, player personnel, FO and coaching staff. Do the Bronco's have employees who have been with the team for 8 years or more? Of course they do! It's a multi billion dollar business employing hundreds of people. Have they replaced or fired people? Of course they have! 

If you're trying to make a point, try as I might, I have no idea what it is. 

• Like 5

16 minutes ago, AKRNA said:

You've absolutely lost me now. You're talking about the 2017 draft, posting articles from 2019, talking about Elway and his input, and trying to make that relevant to todays team and FO. You're acting like there have been no changes in any department when in fact there have been drastic changes in ownership, player personnel, FO and coaching staff. Do the Bronco's have employees who have been with the team for 8 years or more? Of course they do! It's a multi billion dollar business employing hundreds of people. Have they replaced or fired people? Of course they have! 

If you're trying to make a point, try as I might, I have no idea what it is. 

The owners have changed, but the same crappy scouting team and FO hasn't. That's the point.

14 hours ago, 7DnBrnc53 said:

The owners have changed, but the same crappy scouting team and FO hasn't. That's the point.

Well, you're of the belief that our 2021 draft was bad and I disagree. You believe the same people making final decisions in 2019 are the ones making them today and I disagree.

Nothin' else to talk about. Interesting conversation.

• Like 2

All the talk about previous draft classes brings up an interesting dilemma with our 21 class. Who do we re-sign?

That's the problem with a successful class. It's a good problem to have though, far better than not wanting to keep any.

It looks to me like you have to get PS2 and Meinerz. Guys like that are building blocks, you just can't let them go. I think this is a critical year for Williams. If he's back 100% he's one of the best in the league. After that, Cooper, Browning and lastly Sterns. 

I'd love to get 3 or 4 of these guys back on "team friendly" deals.

5 hours ago, AKRNA said:

All the talk about previous draft classes brings up an interesting dilemma with our 21 class. Who do we re-sign?

That's the problem with a successful class. It's a good problem to have though, far better than not wanting to keep any.

It looks to me like you have to get PS2 and Meinerz. Guys like that are building blocks, you just can't let them go. I think this is a critical year for Williams. If he's back 100% he's one of the best in the league. After that, Cooper, Browning and lastly Sterns. 

I'd love to get 3 or 4 of these guys back on "team friendly" deals.

I don't think Javonte will be back. He looked slow last year and he wore down over time. It's a shame what happened to him, but we should be upgrading the RB position. Surtain is a no brainer to bring back.

I would bring back Meinerz, but it's an interesting discussion when you consider the money invested in the OL already. If we move on from Ben Powers and/or McGlinchey, it becomes more palatable, but while we have cap space, we don't have a ton of guys under contract, so we're going to need low cost players somewhere or we'll need more cuts.

I'd bring back Cooper and Browning if possible. Depth is never a bad thing

35 minutes ago, broncos67 said:

I don't think Javonte will be back. He looked slow last year and he wore down over time. It's a shame what happened to him, but we should be upgrading the RB position. Surtain is a no brainer to bring back.

I would bring back Meinerz, but it's an interesting discussion when you consider the money invested in the OL already. If we move on from Ben Powers and/or McGlinchey, it becomes more palatable, but while we have cap space, we don't have a ton of guys under contract, so we're going to need low cost players somewhere or we'll need more cuts.

I'd bring back Cooper and Browning if possible. Depth is never a bad thing

I bring back Javonte but I try to resign him now. A 3 year deal. This season will be when his knee is back to what his new 100% will be. If he’s smart he will bet on himself and try to resign after the season. If we’re smart we try to resign him while he’s cheap. Either way we should be looking to draft a RB in the late rounds as well. 

• Like 4