2024 Off Season Thread

11 hours ago, thebestever6 said:

I know that I mean I can see why we kept stidham rather than adding the same type of thing in free agency.

I think that's a great response and defines what some of us think pretty well.

Basically, Stidhams a "stop-gap" until Sean finds his guy. Replacing him with a different "stop gap" QB does nothing for the team. Spend the time teaching Stidham as many of the intricacies of this offense as you can, knowing that he'll be the mentor/on field coach for his eventual replacement. 

• Like 2

AKRNA should be happy, we signed another IOL but again with NOP ties (color me shocked) in G Calvin Throckmorton. Filled in as a starter at G for the Panthers while starters were injured, he should provide some depth. Not sure we'll be drafting any Olinemen in the draft though unless Bolles is getting traded. 

5 hours ago, Cutler06 said:

AKRNA should be happy, we signed another IOL but again with NOP ties (color me shocked) in G Calvin Throckmorton. Filled in as a starter at G for the Panthers while starters were injured, he should provide some depth. Not sure we'll be drafting any Olinemen in the draft though unless Bolles is getting traded. 

I think we draft a tackle no matter what it's too good of a class and we haven't drafted a tackle since 2017.

7 hours ago, thebestever6 said:

Klis said he thinks two qbs will be added by the end of draft weekend that's interesting to me.

I hope he's wrong. Timing for getting the QBOTF is awful. We just have too many holes to fill.

So, here's the alternative. Draft some exceptional talent on both sides of the ball. Declare Stidham the starter for the year, defusing any QB speculation, and start training the entire team in our O and D systems. We've hired the coaching personnel to do just that.

One entire season, no continuing QB circus, just serious coaching getting the entire team on the same page and incorporating our new draft choices.

Next year if we want a QB, go get him. The entire team will be another year familiar with what we're doing along with Stidham, our eventual QB mentor.

Rushing the process isn't going to work.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, AKRNA said:

I hope he's wrong. Timing for getting the QBOTF is awful. We just have too many holes to fill.

So, here's the alternative. Draft some exceptional talent on both sides of the ball. Declare Stidham the starter for the year, defusing any QB speculation, and start training the entire team in our O and D systems. We've hired the coaching personnel to do just that.

One entire season, no continuing QB circus, just serious coaching getting the entire team on the same page and incorporating our new draft choices.

Next year if we want a QB, go get him. The entire team will be another year familiar with what we're doing along with Stidham, our eventual QB mentor.

Rushing the process isn't going to work.

I agree, though I guess I don't know if it's rushing the process, if, say, they like Bo Nix enough to hand him the keys in time. If we like a guy, go get him. If we're so-so, don't draft a QB just to draft one. It seems pretty cut and dry in that respect to me.

• Like 1

The QB almost has to be evaluated separately from the rest of the team so you can be sure you are taking the guy you love and not just filling a need. No reason not to get a QB you love. No reason to take a QB you don’t. 

• Like 6

18 minutes ago, BroncoBruin said:

The QB almost has to be evaluated separately from the rest of the team so you can be sure you are taking the guy you love and not just filling a need. No reason not to get a QB you love. No reason to take a QB you don’t. 

Exactly. We as fans can have our opinions on prospects and the needs of the team all day and while it's fun to speculate there's really no way of telling what the team will do. If they think one of the QBs is their guy then they need to do what it takes to get him. But if that deems impossible then no reason to panic and reach for a sub prospect just because the need for QB is so high. 

That said I would be surprised if we didn't draft at least one QB even if it's somewhere in the middle rounds. 

On 4/2/2024 at 11:54 AM, broncos67 said:

I agree, though I guess I don't know if it's rushing the process, if, say, they like Bo Nix enough to hand him the keys in time. If we like a guy, go get him. If we're so-so, don't draft a QB just to draft one. It seems pretty cut and dry in that respect to me.

I think it's definitely rushing the process. Not one person on our offense is really very familiar with the whole thing. Russ couldn't execute it so we used only a portion. In Stidhams only two appearances he averaged 2 yards more per completion than Russ, finally taking advantage of the vertical component of the offense. One of the highest averages in the NFL. Let him build on that. Let our WR's learn the route's and reactions to audibles. Give our OL time together with a QB that won't start running at the drop of a hat.

Right now there isn't one college QB that has a chance of making any sort of contribution this year. What they will do is create a QB controversy from the very start that we just don't need. 

If we want to develop a rookie QB fine. Just find a damn smart one that can be a Kubiak to our eventual Elway. 

I'm just so tired of every year spending pages talking about our QBOTF while all but ignoring the other 52 players that make his success possible. The NFL destroys far more QB's than it develops by rushing the process.  I don't want us to do the same.

From outside observation (and boy they keep things close to the vest) they’re going about this process the correct way. They know they don’t have a QB and they are doing tons and tons of research to see if one can be “the guy” and then designing plans for who’d they’d take in various scenarios.

I think they will move up if there is some they are absolutely in love with and convinced can be a long-term, elite ceiling answer. They’ll take one of them at 12 if they really like him but don’t love him. If neither of those happens, I think they’ll get the best football player they can at a position of need. 

They will take a QB in this draft, it just might be one that we haven’t talked about. I still think Pratt and Rattler would be worth a mid-round pick. 

• Like 1

Klis has an article out this morning that's interesting. I know he's not quite as clued in as he was under Elway but he's undeniably more plugged in than anyone else.

The highlights are that Daniels/Maye would be the target in a trade up. McCarthy only if he falls to 6-8 range. Also mentions that a Nix/Penix pick at 12 is possible.

However, he floats an idea that I'm much more keen on. Trading back in R1 to get another R2/R3 pick and then using those picks to move back into R1 to grab Nix.

He mentions Rattler as an option in the mid rounds.

Been seeing more and more National mock drafts that have us trading back to get another 2nd round pick before selecting either Nix or Penix Jr. For me, I give this an automatic A as it shows intelligence not over-drafting, adding additional pick to help build talent, plus filling the QBOTF need. In my book, anything less get a subpar grade.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Cutler06 said:

Been seeing more and more National mock drafts that have us trading back to get another 2nd round pick before selecting either Nix or Penix Jr. For me, I give this an automatic A as it shows intelligence not over-drafting, adding additional pick to help build talent, plus filling the QBOTF need. In my book, anything less get a subpar grade.

I hope that is what we do.  I am happy to get Penix a bit later if he is available in the 1st.  And grabbing a 2nd because it seems like offensive linemen and WR is pretty deep in this class, so you could find Penix a solid RT to protect his blindside, and a WR.  

• Like 1