2024 Off Season Thread

27 minutes ago, jsthomp2007 said:

The Broncos should be drafting a QB every year, because you just never know...there is no science behind drafting a QB.  You don't know if your 1st round QB pick will hit, you don't know if your 2nd, 3rd, 4th...picks will hit.  And even if you hit on a QB and you have your guys, what does it hurt to keep drafting one because everyone needs a QB and then you set yourself up to have really great trade bait.  

no way the guy you're developing is gonna need some sort of reps I'd say every 3 years.

• Like 1

The parallels in the QB conversation with Denver and Vegas are interesting. 

Raiders have a little less in way of holes to fill hat trading up seems plausible. But you have to be sure whom you're getting is a franchise guy. Fear is Pierce goes Godfather because of his relationship with Daniels. But Telesco hopefully is more measured. 

Broncos have a lot of holes that trading up you'd need again would be very risky if you don't hit on a franchise guy.

Both franchises would be smart to trade back and grab Nix/Penix vs. reaching at 12 and 13. Will be intersting it comes down to Nix/Penix for both franchises and who gets who where. And an awesome conversation from a rivalry standpoint. Nix/Penix battling at OU/UW and bringing that twice a year to the AFC West sounds fun and I kind of want it to happen. 

Question is, who is more desperate and pulls the trigger at 12 or 13? 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, big_palooka said:

Question is, who is more desperate and pulls the trigger at 12 or 13? 

what are your thoughts on Telesco? Raiders scare me I love the coach and the gm has to be better than before Mayok was there.

3 hours ago, Cutler06 said:

Not a huge fan of this site, but I did like this 7-round mock. Didn't seem like the trades we outlandish and the players selected were well within the range I expect.

https://predominantlyorange.com/posts/broncos-trade-down-in-7-round-2024-nfl-mock-draft-01htft66ac6h

I don't see Wright or Ellis lasting that long Wright to many is considered the best rb prospect in this class and Ellis is a nice edge prospect.  I'd love it though.

45 minutes ago, thebestever6 said:

I don't see Wright or Ellis lasting that long Wright to many is considered the best rb prospect in this class and Ellis is a nice edge prospect.  I'd love it though.

RB is not a premier position anymore and I could see him last until late 3rd early 4th. I've only seen one mock that had him in the 3rd but I'm sure there are ones out there. Ellis does appear a bit low but his size at 6'1/6'2" isn't at a premimum but I do see your points. And it is a Broncos-biased mock, but heck, I'm OK with that.

• Like 2

I wouldn’t want to draft a RB that early because the lifespan is so short so even if he’s great, he could be washed by the time we’re actually contenders. 

Still, it wouldn’t surprise me to see, say, 5 of our 8 picks used on offense. I think we take a DL, an EDGE and a CB but other than that, it will be all offense. 

• Like 1

I know we're right in the middle of draft talk, still seems like se need to fill position other than backup Oline  or another backup position, Really feel like we need talent on the Dline, but the depth of talent there is dilapidated IMO. However, we can still use a starting CB until we KNOW Riley Moss is the guy, can't keep fluctuating this position, we need it solidified. Ahkello Witherspoon is still available, has Colorado ties and is still on the right side of 30. Think he'd look great opposite PSII until Moss is ready.  

• Like 1

With the Vikings at 11/23 and the Raiders at 13, what would you think if Denver trades back to 19-21 range to pick up and extra pick (or 2). Wouldn't that force both of their hands, either team would need to trade up or miss out on their QB options.  MINN would be looking to then trade up to ensure they'd get McCarthy using 11 & 23 (?). At that point, wouldn't it be prevalent, for the Raiders to overdraft a QB at 13 (leaving us the lesser of Nix and Penix Jr along with a trade-down draft pick). 

Just fun speculation on my part, but any thoughts ?

31 minutes ago, Cutler06 said:

With the Vikings at 11/23 and the Raiders at 13, what would you think if Denver trades back to 19-21 range to pick up and extra pick (or 2). Wouldn't that force both of their hands, either team would need to trade up or miss out on their QB options.  MINN would be looking to then trade up to ensure they'd get McCarthy using 11 & 23 (?). At that point, wouldn't it be prevalent, for the Raiders to overdraft a QB at 13 (leaving us the lesser of Nix and Penix Jr along with a trade-down draft pick). 

I'm starting to get more and more sure we don't get a QB in rd 1.  Some analysts I've followed for years, very accurate, think both Nix and Penix are low 2nd to 3rd rd talents. The probabilty that 4 QB's may be taken before us will drive some incredible talent down to 12. I'm not sure we'd really be trading down but I'd imagine we'll be moving around a bit to maximize our take.

I would expect us to get a QB from Rd 4 on. Mentally sharp with threshold talent. Early rounds though I don't think QB will be in play.

• Like 1

I'm all for a trade down and get more top 100 picks and nab Pratt in the 3rd or 4th. If he could throw the ball 10 more yards and was at a better program he'd be a first round pick. Can only throw it 45/50 yards but do you even need more than that?

1 hour ago, Cutler06 said:

That’s a savvy way of looking at things. I like where your head is - play chess not checkers. 

The media (local and national) is reading the tea leaves that were scouting the crap out of all the QBs, we need a QB and, for their part, it gets clicks for them to talk about it, but it seems the consensus has come to we will a QB no matter what. 

I’ve been on the trade down and get as many picks as possible bandwagon since January. And since the Walmarts have taken over, this organization is as tight lipped about their thoughts as I’ve ever seen.

So I really don’t have a clue what we’re going to do. Almost nothing will surprise me. I hope they work some magic one way or another. But I don’t care because if they draft good football players - I don’t care what position they play and whether we’re thin or deep there - I’ll be happy. And I don’t have a reason to expect Sean and George to not do that. They have a plan and the Walmarts are behind them. The fans and media might love or not love what they do in a few weeks, but I will, for now, give them the benefit of the doubt. 

• Like 3

I will add, the casual fans and the media were apoplectic when we took PS2 over Justin Fields. How’d that work out? We got a perennial All Pro at a critical position in PS2 while Fields is now Russ’ backup for a different franchise than the one that drafted him. 

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, AnAngryAmerican said:

I will add, the casual fans and the media were apoplectic when we took PS2 over Justin Fields. How’d that work out? We got a perennial All Pro at a critical position in PS2 while Fields is now Russ’ backup for a different franchise than the one that drafted him. 

Just let that sink in

5 hours ago, AnAngryAmerican said:

That's a perfect analogy for this season's draft. Drafting as high as we are, with the evaluation talent we now have we're almost certain to find another impact player at a position other than QB.