2024 Off Season Thread

17 minutes ago, Cutler06 said:

Been seeing more and more National mock drafts that have us trading back to get another 2nd round pick before selecting either Nix or Penix Jr. For me, I give this an automatic A as it shows intelligence not over-drafting, adding additional pick to help build talent, plus filling the QBOTF need. In my book, anything less get a subpar grade.

That's what I did in my mock draft. A guy can hope, right?

1 hour ago, AnAngryAmerican said:

That's what I did in my mock draft. A guy can hope, right?

Well, don't quote me on this but I have always considered you smarter and more invested in the Broncos than most of the National media guys

Edited by Cutler06
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, Cutler06 said:

Been seeing more and more National mock drafts that have us trading back to get another 2nd round pick before selecting either Nix or Penix Jr. For me, I give this an automatic A as it shows intelligence not over-drafting, adding additional pick to help build talent, plus filling the QBOTF need. In my book, anything less get a subpar grade.

Part of me likes it just for the crapshoot of it when it comes to QB, but part of me is getting flashbacks to our Drew Lock draft. Dude's with potential which aren't really 1st round grades, have em sit and learn, but ultimately leads us nowhere and was a waste of trading back. I would be more excited about trading back and plugging holes as @AKRNA has been suggesting

8 hours ago, broncos67 said:

Klis has an article out this morning that's interesting. I know he's not quite as clued in as he was under Elway but he's undeniably more plugged in than anyone else.

The highlights are that Daniels/Maye would be the target in a trade up. McCarthy only if he falls to 6-8 range. Also mentions that a Nix/Penix pick at 12 is possible.

However, he floats an idea that I'm much more keen on. Trading back in R1 to get another R2/R3 pick and then using those picks to move back into R1 to grab Nix.

He mentions Rattler as an option in the mid rounds.

Klis is on The Fan now saying that the team "has to" come away with a QB this year because we play in a division with Mahomes and Herbert. That, IMO, the reason you only take a QB - and you as hell don't trade up for one - unless you're 99% convinced he is the real deal. You do not take a QB, especially with a premium pick, just to take a QB. 

1 hour ago, AnAngryAmerican said:

Klis is on The Fan now saying that the team "has to" come away with a QB this year because we play in a division with Mahomes and Herbert. That, IMO, the reason you only take a QB - and you as hell don't trade up for one - unless you're 99% convinced he is the real deal. You do not take a QB, especially with a premium pick, just to take a QB. 

It seems we hear a version of that every year and I'll never quite get it. If it was CB or Edge or penetrating DT or sideline ti sideline LB, etc, it'd make sense. Guys like that can really make a difference in the opposing QB's performance. I'm not sure how having a better QB has much to do with Mahomes or Herbert,

Also, we did beat both KC and the Chargers decisively last year and our D was the difference.   Maybe we should grab a Defensive  impact player in the draft.

• Like 2

Im ok with Nix or Penix as long as we trade back first. If we trade up, it’s too much however you slice it. Especially with how many high picks we’ve given up the last couple years. I’m going out on a limb guessing that they know that, and agree with that. I’m also ok with Pratt or Rattler on day 2-3 as long as they take BPA with wherever we end up picking in the first.

1 hour ago, AKRNA said:

It seems we hear a version of that every year and I'll never quite get it. If it was CB or Edge or penetrating DT or sideline ti sideline LB, etc, it'd make sense. Guys like that can really make a difference in the opposing QB's performance. I'm not sure how having a better QB has much to do with Mahomes or Herbert,

Also, we did beat both KC and the Chargers decisively last year and our D was the difference.   Maybe we should grab a Defensive  impact player in the draft.

I'm in some type of a middle ground long term we need a field general at qb to put up points and sustain drives.

But you also need other pieces which you alluded too so I am all for a trade down from 12. Lots of spots to be filled.

Edited by thebestever6

22 minutes ago, thebestever6 said:

I'm in some type of a middle ground long term we need a field general at qb to put up points and sustain drives.

But you also need other pieces which you alluded too so I am all for a trade down from 12. Lots of spots to be filled.

I base a lot of my opinion on the posts I read from you guys. Last year outside of "Russ can't run the offense" what i read most was we're lacking talent overall and sadly lacking in "Impact Players".

Those impact players are usually found early in the draft so we need to be cautious about trading down and missing out.

Also, like @copeland just pointed out, our last two #1's and #2's went to the QB position. Now we want to spend this years #1 on the same position? It just seems very wrong to me. We have a far better chance of fielding a defense that can stop or slow Mahomes than we have of finding a better or even equal QB. Even if Mahomes were to retire today he'd be a 1st ballot HOF guy.

1 hour ago, AKRNA said:

I base a lot of my opinion on the posts I read from you guys. Last year outside of "Russ can't run the offense" what i read most was we're lacking talent overall and sadly lacking in "Impact Players".

Those impact players are usually found early in the draft so we need to be cautious about trading down and missing out.

Also, like @copeland just pointed out, our last two #1's and #2's went to the QB position. Now we want to spend this years #1 on the same position? It just seems very wrong to me. We have a far better chance of fielding a defense that can stop or slow Mahomes than we have of finding a better or even equal QB. Even if Mahomes were to retire today he'd be a 1st ballot HOF guy.

We really need to be better at drafting in the first 3 rounds it's been mostly bad for a decade +. There's no disputing that.

The russ move was made before Sean got here so I don't kill him for that. He also deserves to home grow talent under center.

I never had the out look we have to have get a qb to be as good or better than Mahomes. We just need to get a guy to sustain drives keep the offense on schedule so if your d is playing decent you have more margin for error to get a win. 

38 minutes ago, thebestever6 said:

I will say I do have QB fatigue lol 8 long years lol.

Being perfectly honest bud that's part of why I don't want a QB in the draft. It's just worn me out. Give me just one year without constant QBOTF stuff and I'll be okay. Right now I'm more interested in OLOTF, DLOTF, LBOTF, etc. You get my drift.

Our chances of drafting a great player (non QB) at 12 are excellent. An impact player. Get the team back on track, with better talent and depth and if Stidham doesn't work out then go ahead and draft a replacement.

Us and QB's remind me of some guys I worked with that chased wives, getting married 4 or 5 times. They finally decided it was cheaper to just find a woman you hate, buy her a house, turn over your bank accounts and be done with it.

We've been like that with QB's for the last decade.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, AnAngryAmerican said:

I think there's a few ways to interpret that comment though. Yes, we should not draft a QB just to draft one. If that's what he's saying, hard pass. However, if he's saying, "in order to compete in a division with Mahomes and Herbert you need to have a good QB," it's hard to disagree. 

I think we're all in the same camp that we shouldn't draft a QB for the hell of it

2 hours ago, broncos67 said:

I think we're all in the same camp that we shouldn't draft a QB for the hell of it

I don't understand this statement the broncos have used all their resources to scout qbs, ownership has brought in an elite offensive coach with a system in place and people in place to develop a qb.

Lock was drafting a qb for the hell of it we brought in an unknown Scangrello to develop him from this point until we select one I just don't see how that's the case.

The Broncos should be drafting a QB every year, because you just never know...there is no science behind drafting a QB.  You don't know if your 1st round QB pick will hit, you don't know if your 2nd, 3rd, 4th...picks will hit.  And even if you hit on a QB and you have your guys, what does it hurt to keep drafting one because everyone needs a QB and then you set yourself up to have really great trade bait.