New OC Candidates - Workin towards Waldron (pg 18)

StLunatic88

On 1/14/2024 at 3:19 PM, G08 said:

I'm digging into Coen... some positive things being said:

https://www.facebook.com/watch/?v=4005675119544979

I know it's facebook but you get some A+ quotes from Sean McVay

People seem to love Coen but has he ever coached a top-ranked offense anywhere? Best I could find was the 2021 UK team that ranked 36th in PPG.

25 minutes ago, CBears019 said:

👀

This is certainly a guy you only look hire if you're keeping Fields

I imagine Poles and Flus are interviewing different options to see what these guys opinions are on the QB situation

Bears are in a unique position here with Caleb sitting right there for the taking so doing their full due diligence before making a decision on the QB is the smart way to go

Edited by topwop1
  • Like 2

I don't trust Roman with either Fields or Caleb, tbh..  Caleb has too much arm talent to tip that rush heavy, and isn't really a "running qb" himself.... While Fields simply needs to learn how to pass the ball  with far more volume than he currently uses.

Also, fwiw, I don't think we have the OL or Running back talent to sustain that kind of run based attack.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, topwop1 said:

👀

This is certainly a guy you only look hire if you're keeping Fields

I imagine Poles and Flus are interviewing different options to see what these guys opinions are on the QB situation

Bears are in a unique position here with Caleb sitting right there for the taking so doing their full due diligence before making a decision on the QB is the smart way to go

Yeah it is smart to gain as much knowledge as you can because if Roman came here and blew every other coach you interviewed out of the water with his plan on offence the you keep Fields and build that plan out around him…

If not you done your due diligence and looked at all the option…also tells the rest of the league you still have all the leverage in holding #1 overall as well as a talented QB in Fields so if you want either you better come with a proper offer…

I still expect us to hire someone from the Shanahan/McVay tree but there is no downside with this interview. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Madmike90 said:

Yeah it is smart to gain as much knowledge as you can because if Roman came here and blew every other coach you interviewed out of the water with his plan on offence the you keep Fields and build that plan out around him…

If not you done your due diligence and looked at all the option…also tells the rest of the league you still have all the leverage in holding #1 overall as well as a talented QB in Fields so if you want either you better come with a proper offer…

I still expect us to hire someone from the Shanahan/McVay tree but there is no downside with this interview. 

So you're ok with bringing in Kingsbury for an interview? 

7 hours ago, Epyon said:

I don't trust Roman with either Fields or Caleb, tbh..  Caleb has too much arm talent to tip that rush heavy, and isn't really a "running qb" himself.... While Fields simply needs to learn how to pass the ball  with far more volume than he currently uses.

Also, fwiw, I don't think we have the OL or Running back talent to sustain that kind of run based attack.

I can agree with the first part but the second I can't.

Jackson and Fields are a wash as runners.

Bal has had Ingram, Gus Edwards, Dobbins, Freeman, Murray, and Kenyan Drake as their runners. Not a weakness but there is nothing special there. I actually wanted Monty to go there to be the bellcow back Jackson has never had. Ingram was the best of the group and I'd put Herbert/Johnson/Foreman with any trio they put out. Both teams run through their QBs and thats what makes them so difficult to stop. If anything Fields' durability is the big concern.

Even with C being a mess, Davis initially looking like a poor signing, and Fields missing a big chunk of time the Bears were still 2nd in rushing this year, the led the NFL last year even with a significantly less talented OL. Fix C and get someone to push Davis and you should see a rushing attack take a step forward again. This is without even considering how much better Roman is at coaching/scheming the run game than Getsy is.

3 hours ago, Epyon said:

So you're ok with bringing in Kingsbury for an interview? 

For an interview? Sure as a hire? No…

You interview as many people as you can to try and gain an insight into what they could offer…unless like Roman Kingsbury has learned a lot since he was last an NFL play caller then he isn’t a fit

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Madmike90 said:

Precisely, and an added bonus is you get to learn different ways offensive coordinators view our roster and Justin Fields. You also can ask them what type of approach the offense would have IF we drafted a QB from this class.

Very valuable information gathering -- I just hope they don't **** up the hire!

• Like 1

I'd much rather have someone who specializes with the passing game come in as OC, but if you want to throw in an Assistant Head Coach/Run Game Coordinator or AHC/OL coach deal towards Roman then I'd be all for that. That's what I threw together in my mock for Harbaugh, and I still like the idea of it.