Is Ted Thompson this bad or was he never that good?

cooters22

Is Ted Thompson this bad or was he never that good? I pose this question because he has only relied on the draft to build this team and early on this philosophy seemed to really work. Drafts were good, a constant turning of the roster with fresh, young guys with talent. And we signed our own and for the most part compared to other teams we kept our own. Is it a coincidence that our drafts it seemed have gone down in the past few years; coincidentally right around the time John Dorsey and Reggie McKenzie left our franchise. For whatever reason age, trust or whatever from what I've heard is that Ted has never trusted anyone underneath him as much as John Dorsey, including -EliotWolf whom everyone thinks is going to take over for Ted some day. I still think he'd be the frontrunner but Brian Gutekunst is close. Thoughts anybody? Has Ted recently tried to do too much whereas he use to rely more on people?

I'll split this in two.  TT first half career as GBs draft guru and his second half.

First half he was restocking the cupboard.  Drafting in middle to upper teens on average.  Good job, filled a lot of spots.

Second half was tougher, now drafting mid to late twenties trying to fill spots on a  team that was usually in the playoffs.

TT was/is a good drafter.  His biggest flaw was lack of using FA to fill holes the draft choices couldn't.

All the rest is conjecture.  I'm sure it is tough when you lose so many top personnel men, but we have remained in the playoffs ever since. See if we make it again.

3 minutes ago, Dubz41 said:

I'll split this in two. 

Agree there are two, distinct eras, when it comes to TT's time as GM of the Packers.

The management of the roster between 2005-2010 was stellar.

The roster management since 2011 has been less, in some ways far less, than stellar.

Best General Manager in football.

You could argue Schneider but honestly i haven't liked any of his swing for the fences moves lately and going forward we are in much better shape than them.His 2017 draft is shaping up to be pretty awesome also IMO. Jones/Williams/Kings and Jones again all are shaping up to be studs. Wouldn't trade him for anyone. His weaknesses have been him and M3s loyalty to Capers IMO. Would love some new blood on the defensive side of the ball because I think the talent is enough to get us to win with Rodgers. 

He's still a good drafter, but we are paying for a few seasons of mediocre drafting that didn't add enough high end starting talent.  When a team largely relies on draft and develop you better hit on a good amount of picks or there will be a drop off.  If Ted can nail these next couple of drafts the pack will once again be serious super bowl contenders.  They were really active in free agency this year .. makes me think Ted allowed his underlings more input in the process.  Hopefully that continues.

3 hours ago, Dubz41 said:

I'll split this in two.  TT first half career as GBs draft guru and his second half.

First half he was restocking the cupboard.  Drafting in middle to upper teens on average.  Good job, filled a lot of spots.

Second half was tougher, now drafting mid to late twenties trying to fill spots on a  team that was usually in the playoffs.

TT was/is a good drafter.  His biggest flaw was lack of using FA to fill holes the draft choices couldn't.

All the rest is conjecture.  I'm sure it is tough when you lose so many top personnel men, but we have remained in the playoffs ever since. See if we make it again.

I agree with this. I think he's still a solid drafter but you kind of have to look at building a team in phases. In the early stages you need to turnover the roster and get young talent. As your team develops and gets stronger and you are a championship caliber team you have to start considering adding pieces outside of the draft to fill holes or upgrade positions. Thompson's fatal flaw is to sit on his hands year after with a talent like Aaron Rodgers at QB. The roster has been pretty mediocre for the last few years.  The window is starting to close. When you have a talent like Aaron Rodgers at QB with a good solid 5 years left you can't just continue to rely on young guys to develop 3 years down the road.

1 hour ago, incognito_man said:

Top 3 at worst.

Yep.

6 hours ago, cooters22 said:

Is Ted Thompson this bad or was he never that good? I pose this question because he has only relied on the draft to build this team and early on this philosophy seemed to really work. Drafts were good, a constant turning of the roster with fresh, young guys with talent. And we signed our own and for the most part compared to other teams we kept our own. Is it a coincidence that our drafts it seemed have gone down in the past few years; coincidentally right around the time John Dorsey and Reggie McKenzie left our franchise. For whatever reason age, trust or whatever from what I've heard is that Ted has never trusted anyone underneath him as much as John Dorsey, including -EliotWolf whom everyone thinks is going to take over for Ted some day. I still think he'd be the frontrunner but Brian Gutekunst is close. Thoughts anybody? Has Ted recently tried to do too much whereas he use to rely more on people?

Since 2010, the Packers haven't had better than the 21st position in the draft.  Four of those years they've had the 28th position or worse.  Possibly you forgot how awesome the Packers have been before making the post, but there you are.

5 hours ago, {Family Ghost} said:

He's still a good drafter, but we are paying for a few seasons of mediocre drafting that didn't add enough high end starting talent.  When a team largely relies on draft and develop you better hit on a good amount of picks or there will be a drop off.  If Ted can nail these next couple of drafts the pack will once again be serious super bowl contenders.  They were really active in free agency this year .. makes me think Ted allowed his underlings more input in the process.  Hopefully that continues.

The reason we were really active in free agency is the same reason you mentioned, mediocre drafting. 

We had cash to spend when previously that cash would have gone into resigning guys.

There hasn't been some grand shift in philosophy. There has been a change in circumstances.

4 minutes ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

In this rendition of, "I lack all perspective on what the average NFL team looks like."

Seriously, this team is 3-4 with Brett Hundley playing. This roster is not the disaster that you make it out to be, especially when healthy.

There are stronger arguments than this. Last minute wins against the league's worst isn't a convincing bullet in the resume.

Just now, th87 said:

There are stronger arguments than this. Last minute wins against the league's worst isn't a convincing bullet in the resume.

Why is it that every time an argument against Thompson and McCarthy is made, the first point made by detractors is, "Well if you remove the games we played against bad teams . . ."?

Every team plays bad teams. You have to beat bad teams. When you remove games against bad teams, pretty much everybody has a middling to poor record. There is no god damn perspective with this group. If a team with it's backup QB is able to keep it's head above water without the starting QB, that's the sign of a well coached football team. 

Archived