Off-Season 2024-"Peters" built

7 hours ago, Slappy Mc said:

I mean, I'll get butchered for this, but Sam Howell and Drake Maye are the same. The difference is Maye's height. Same offense, same tendencies, same flaws. Drake Maye locks onto his primary receiver, every single play, for a full two seconds.

Honestly I can't take people seriously that are saying Maye is an improvement over Howell.

*Edit* Spot the difference

I guess you can't take just about every scout on the planet seriously lol

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, lavar703 said:

I guess you can't take just about every scout on the planet seriously lol

giphy.gif

But seriously, I am just not seeing it. That doesn't mean I am not completely wrong, but when watching Maye's highlights, it all looked so familiar. Some eye popping throws, but also the inability to move off the first read is a concern as well as scrambling out of a clean pocket. There are so many similarities between the two and add in that they both come from the same system, I am not seeing difference.

On 2/13/2024 at 9:35 PM, Slappy Mc said:

giphy.gif

But seriously, I am just not seeing it. That doesn't mean I am not completely wrong, but when watching Maye's highlights, it all looked so familiar. Some eye popping throws, but also the inability to move off the first read is a concern as well as scrambling out of a clean pocket. There are so many similarities between the two and add in that they both come from the same system, I am not seeing difference.

It's about potential. Maye is bigger & stronger than Howell. They did have similar college careers but Maye has a higher ceiling.

You draft players not only for what they did in college but you draft them for their potential & Maye’s ceiling is much higher than Howell’s & for that reason, he's the better prospect. 

Edited by turtle28

5 hours ago, turtle28 said:

It's about potential. Maye is bigger & stronger than Howell. They did have similar college careers but Maybe has a higher ceiling.

You draft players not only for what they did in college but you draft them for their potential & Maye’s ceiling is much higher than Howell’s & for that reason, he's the better prospect. 

I guess the only thing I can say is we'll see. 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, turtle28 said:

It's about potential. Maye is bigger & stronger than Howell. They did have similar college careers but Maye has a higher ceiling.

Oh boy I could go into this one but I will not……….but I will say that there is a third component to this, and that’s the combine warriors.  

We had great success with a former executive picking players who excelled production-wise in college.  

• Like 2

22 hours ago, Scott Land said:

Without getting into the specifics, I think you can compare Drake Maye's ceiling to Justin Herbert. Sam Howell is more of a Baker Mayfield. That's my opinion on it. 

Dan Orlovsky had a good comp for Drake Maye, he said Big Ben. I think that fits bc coming out it was clear both guys have all the tools but they needed to improve on footwork & some other issues. Maye is similar to Josh Allen in that way too.

Herbert was a more ready prospect but the issues surrounding him were whether he could lead an offense & be a leader as a young guy dealing with grown men. Herbert is an introvert & many scouts GMs & scouts questioned if he could be the leader on an NFL offense. If not for that question, he probably goes before Tua.

7 hours ago, lavar703 said:

Riggos Rag is such trash anymore. I have no clue what happened to it but my guess is the guy who used to own it sold the domain to another fan. 

They have different writers all the time. They're just fans who don't get paid to my knowledge. I almost wrote for them a few years ago but, I'm too busy with my job to blog anymore.

I’ve been messing around in my head with the following rough approach to the offseason. It’s based on two concepts I think are pretty safe assumptions: (1) we’re going with a zone-heavy run game and (2) Quinn and Whitt will probably bring a couple guys with them on defense. They may not be this aggressive in FA, but I think it’s important to address some of these holes on the offense to put the rookie QB in a position to succeed.

Free Agency:

Re-sign S Kam Curl

Safety is obviously a key spot for Quinn and Whitt, and Curl is a really perfect fit for a group that’s going to want to have a couple guys who can play run and pass. I envision Curl and Martin in that sort of cobra/buffalo role, with Forrest playing more in the deep post. 

Sign OT Jonah Williams

He’s never going to be what he was drafted to be, but I think he can be a pretty solid RT if you’re not expecting him to be a road grader in the run game. Kind of what McGlinchey was for the Niners. 

Sign DE Bryce Huff

Some fits really make perfect sense. Quinn is going to want a LEO with some juice to just pin his ears back and get after QBs. That’s pretty much all Huff does. I would not pay a crazy amount for him, but he’s the type of player we need.

Sign TE Dalton Schultz

Look, if I’m him, I’m probably not leaving CJ Stroud. But I don’t see another real appealing option at the TE position (FA or draft), and I think a veteran receiving TE is such a nice safety blanket for a young QB. I would make a real strong push.

Sign CB Jourdan Lewis

This is a guy I really think they’ll try to poach. He’s a tough, instinctive slot guy, and if they’re not paying Fuller, they’ll need somebody who can cover in addition to Forbes and BSJ. Don’t see the price being crazy here.

Sign DE Dante Fowler

I’m just assuming we’ll sign him. He played with Quinn in ATL and then came to join him in DAL. This will be a small deal, but we’ll need someone like him to rotate in and give a little pass rush juice.

Sign LB Devin Bush

Literally just a placeholder. They should probably sign some veteran LB they like for a little money. Probably two, actually. He played for Seattle last year, so…maybe him? Don’t see any good DAL poach options.

Draft:

1 (2). QB Drake Maye, UNC

We haven’t really spent much time talking about this one. Just a random shot in the dark. Seems like he could be good?

2 (36). WR Keon Coleman/Adonai Mitchell

I really haven’t decided between these two. But I’d like to add a WR with some size and speed to create plays down the field. Coleman is more of a YAC guy, Mitchell more of a go ball/red zone guy. 

2 (40). Trade Down

I’d like to move down from this pick. What I really would love to see is a move into the back half of the 2nd round, picking up a future 2nd from a good team. Rolling our current pick surplus into next year is a very Eagles/Ravens type move. 

2 (58) OG Christian Haynes, UConn

Just posted in the draft thread about him, and I think he’s a very sensible fit for us. Very good on the move, both laterally and vertically, and solid in the pass game. See him as an immediate starter. 

3 (67). LB Payton Wilson, NC State

Injury and age issues will likely drive him down the board. But he’s an extremely impactful, physical player who can do a little bit of everything. Very high energy, tone setter. I like the combo with him and Jamin Davis.

3 (101). RB Bucky Irving, Oregon

Does he make it this far? I don’t really know. I’d use a later pick to move up a bit to get him if we feel like we need to. Don’t like the back end of this draft. He’s super quick and excellent as a pass catcher. Extremely difficult to tackle for a small guy, there are some Darren Sproles vibes, feels like the perfect complement to what we have.

4 (103). CB Renardo Green

I think they’ll want a guy to develop behind BSJ/Forbes/Lewis, and he’s a great athlete who plays a ton of press man. He’s a guy with a lot of upside who I think this staff could really make something out of.

QB (2): Drake Maye | Sam Howell

RB (3): Brian Robinson | Bucky Irving | Chris Rodriguez

WR (5): Terry McLaurin | Jahan Dotson | Keon Coleman | Dyami Brown | Vet Min/Day 3

TE (3): Dalton Schultz | John Bates | Cole Turner

OT (3): Charles Leno | Jonah Williams | Cornelius Lucas

OG (4): Sam Cosmi | Christian Haynes | Andrew Wylie | Braeden Daniels

C (2): Ricky Stromberg | Vet Min/Day 3

DE (5): Bryce Huff | Dante Fowler | James Smith-Williams | KJ Henry | Casey Toohill

DT (4): Jonathan Allen | Daron Payne | John Ridgeway | Phidarian Mathis

LB (4): Jamin Davis | Payton Wilson | Devin Bush | Vet Min/Day 3

CB (5): Benjamin St. Juste | Emmanuel Forbes | Jourdan Lewis | Renardo Green | Christian Holmes

S (4): Kam Curl | Darrick Forrest | Quan Martin | Percy Butler

Edited by e16bball
  • Like 2

11 hours ago, e16bball said:

I’ve been messing around in my head with the following rough approach to the offseason. It’s based on two concepts I think are pretty safe assumptions: (1) we’re going with a zone-heavy run game and (2) Quinn and Whitt will probably bring a couple guys with them on defense. They may not be this aggressive in FA, but I think it’s important to address some of these holes on the offense to put the rookie QB in a position to succeed.

Free Agency:

Re-sign S Kam Curl

Safety is obviously a key spot for Quinn and Whitt, and Curl is a really perfect fit for a group that’s going to want to have a couple guys who can play run and pass. I envision Curl and Martin in that sort of cobra/buffalo role, with Forrest playing more in the deep post. 

Sign OT Jonah Williams

He’s never going to be what he was drafted to be, but I think he can be a pretty solid RT if you’re not expecting him to be a road grader in the run game. Kind of what McGlinchey was for the Niners. 

Sign DE Bryce Huff

Some fits really make perfect sense. Quinn is going to want a LEO with some juice to just pin his ears back and get after QBs. That’s pretty much all Huff does. I would not pay a crazy amount for him, but he’s the type of player we need.

Sign TE Dalton Schultz

Look, if I’m him, I’m probably not leaving CJ Stroud. But I don’t see another real appealing option at the TE position (FA or draft), and I think a veteran receiving TE is such a nice safety blanket for a young QB. I would make a real strong push.

Sign CB Jourdan Lewis

This is a guy I really think they’ll try to poach. He’s a tough, instinctive slot guy, and if they’re not paying Fuller, they’ll need somebody who can cover in addition to Forbes and BSJ. Don’t see the price being crazy here.

Sign DE Dante Fowler

I’m just assuming we’ll sign him. He played with Quinn in ATL and then came to join him in DAL. This will be a small deal, but we’ll need someone like him to rotate in and give a little pass rush juice.

Sign LB Devin Bush

Literally just a placeholder. They should probably sign some veteran LB they like for a little money. Probably two, actually. He played for Seattle last year, so…maybe him? Don’t see any good DAL poach options.

Draft:

1 (2). QB Drake Maye, UNC

We haven’t really spent much time talking about this one. Just a random shot in the dark. Seems like he could be good?

2 (36). WR Keon Coleman/Adonai Mitchell

I really haven’t decided between these two. But I’d like to add a WR with some size and speed to create plays down the field. Coleman is more of a YAC guy, Mitchell more of a go ball/red zone guy. 

2 (40). Trade Down

I’d like to move down from this pick. What I really would love to see is a move into the back half of the 2nd round, picking up a future 2nd from a good team. Rolling our current pick surplus into next year is a very Eagles/Ravens type move. 

2 (58) OG Christian Haynes, UConn

Just posted in the draft thread about him, and I think he’s a very sensible fit for us. Very good on the move, both laterally and vertically, and solid in the pass game. See him as an immediate starter. 

3 (67). LB Payton Wilson, NC State

Injury and age issues will likely drive him down the board. But he’s an extremely impactful, physical player who can do a little bit of everything. Very high energy, tone setter. I like the combo with him and Jamin Davis.

3 (101). RB Bucky Irving, Oregon

Does he make it this far? I don’t really know. I’d use a later pick to move up a bit to get him if we feel like we need to. Don’t like the back end of this draft. He’s super quick and excellent as a pass catcher. Extremely difficult to tackle for a small guy, there are some Darren Sproles vibes, feels like the perfect complement to what we have.

4 (103). CB Renardo Green

I think they’ll want a guy to develop behind BSJ/Forbes/Lewis, and he’s a great athlete who plays a ton of press man. He’s a guy with a lot of upside who I think this staff could really make something out of.

QB (2): Drake Maye | Sam Howell

RB (3): Brian Robinson | Bucky Irving | Chris Rodriguez

WR (5): Terry McLaurin | Jahan Dotson | Keon Coleman | Dyami Brown | Vet Min/Day 3

TE (3): Dalton Schultz | John Bates | Cole Turner

OT (3): Charles Leno | Jonah Williams | Cornelius Lucas

OG (4): Sam Cosmi | Christian Haynes | Andrew Wylie | Braeden Daniels

C (2): Ricky Stromberg | Vet Min/Day 3

DE (5): Bryce Huff | Dante Fowler | James Smith-Williams | KJ Henry | Casey Toohill

DT (4): Jonathan Allen | Daron Payne | John Ridgeway | Phidarian Mathis

LB (4): Jamin Davis | Payton Wilson | Devin Bush | Vet Min/Day 3

CB (5): Benjamin St. Juste | Emmanuel Forbes | Jourdan Lewis | Renardo Green | Christian Holmes

S (4): Kam Curl | Darrick Forrest | Quan Martin | Percy Butler

InB4 the random new accounts on all the Redskins sites I read show up to bash you for not picking Jayden Daniels. I'm pretty sure his mom has an account on Extremskins lol

• Like 1

Saw a thing where Ben Standig called Charles Leno a “probable” pre-June cut. Of course the mouth-breathers on Facebook think it’s a great idea (the first clue that it’s a terrible idea).

I don’t see an avenue to get a better starting LT than Leno. I’m all ears if someone has an idea. But aside from passing on Maye, I don’t see it.