Off-Season 2024-"Peters" built

22 hours ago, ARTMONK HOF said:

BREAKING: The #Giants are not planning on tagging superstar running back Saquon Barkley and he will hit the open market as a free agent in March, per ESPN. 

Many teams are expected to pursue the 2x Pro Bowl back, including an NFC East team and the #Chargers.

There’s actually going to be a ton of top level RBs on the free agent market this year. Normally I’m all in on position value, but we’re going to have a ton of cap space and if we go with a rookie QB pairing him with a top end RB couldn’t hurt. If we were to get someone like Barkley or Josh Jacob’s I think I would be on board with that. 

4 minutes ago, MKnight82 said:

There’s actually going to be a ton of top level RBs on the free agent market this year. Normally I’m all in on position value, but we’re going to have a ton of cap space and if we go with a rookie QB pairing him with a top end RB couldn’t hurt. If we were to get someone like Barkley or Josh Jacob’s I think I would be on board with that. 

They called Austin Ekeler washed, but if he's the 3rd/4th/5th option on that list and comes a lot cheaper, he could be a great complement to BJJr. 

2 hours ago, MikeT14 said:

They called Austin Ekeler washed, but if he's the 3rd/4th/5th option on that list and comes a lot cheaper, he could be a great complement to BJJr. 

Ya we are lacking star players. Adding one at RB doesn’t seem like a bad idea to me. 

On 2/8/2024 at 10:28 AM, MikeT14 said:

I always liked AE. He runs hard and only 28, 29 before the start of the season and would come cheaper than a Josh Jacobs or a Saquon. I love B-Rob, gives it a 1000% every time he touches the ball. C-Rod I like what he has shown but would like a Chris Thompson type to even that RB group. Those 4 would be nice to have going into next season. 

Edited by ARTMONK HOF
  • Like 1

On 2/8/2024 at 10:23 AM, MKnight82 said:

Man it's a tough decision bc I do really like BRob & especially how he evolved last year into being a reliable receiver too but, he's a good RB to me, not a franchise changing type back. 

For me, I think Barkley is the one. Barkley has in the past had & will continue to have a CMC type impact on whatever offense he is on.

I’d love to pair Barkley w/ one of the young QBs we hopefully draft or even w/ Howell if he starts over the young QB we draft to start the season.

I think that getting Barkley really makes our offense dynamic as long as we get a TE upgrade & a few upgrades on our OL as well, at the least at LG & RT.

I like Jacobs but I don't think he's the dynamic type RB that I'd pay top dollar too. Don't get me wrong, I think Jacobs is better than BRob, but I don't think it's by a huge margin where we’d pay $9 to $10 million more for Jacobs to start over BRob when they're pretty similar.

If it's between spending that $ on Jacobs or a taller outside WR, a TE, or upgrading OL, I’d rather spend that $ on a different position, keep BRob as our starter & then draft or sign a Chris Thompson/JD McKissic type back to be a change of pace/scat back/3rd down back & our KR/PR.

On 2/11/2024 at 11:13 PM, ARTMONK HOF said:

I always liked AE. He runs hard and only 28, 29 before the start of the season and would come cheaper than a Josh Jacobs or a Saquon. I love B-Rob, gives it a 1000% every time he touches the ball. C-Rod I like what he has shown but would like a Chris Thompson type to even that RB group. Those 4 would be nice to have going into next season. 

Gurley was a top RB at that age, and he was out of the league in three years.  Really depends on the college and NFL use and mileage.  The market is what it is for a reason.  Ekeler might not be washed, but I certainly wouldn’t be giving him a huge contract.  

2 hours ago, naptownskinsfan said:

Gurley was a top RB at that age, and he was out of the league in three years.  Really depends on the college and NFL use and mileage.  The market is what it is for a reason.  Ekeler might not be washed, but I certainly wouldn’t be giving him a huge contract.  

I think it would be 2 year contract @ 5m/yr

The 2.13.23 offseason updated from this post: 

Re-sign:
Resign Kendall Fuller - 3 year $40 million deal with $20 m guaranteed. Out after 2 years.

Franchise tag Kam Curl.  If you can get him to do a 4 year $55 million deal, we can do that.

Resign Cornelius Lucas - 1 year, $5 million. He's going to be 33 next year. No point in doing anything more than a year. 

Resign Jeremy Reaves - 2 years, $6 million

Resign Jamison Crowder - 1 year $1.5 million.

Resign Tyler Larsen - in case we need depth at the position. 1 year $1.5 million. 

Resign Khaleke Hudson - 2 years $3.5 million.

Resign Casey Toohill - 1 year $2 million. We will need bodies at the position. If he doesn't win a job, that's perfectly fine. 

Resign James-Smith Williams - 1 year $2.5 million. See Toohill.

Resign Joey Slye - 1 year $1.5 million - Absolutely will have a kicking competition. 

I think this leaves us around $40 million in cap dollars.

--------------------------------

Sign Tyrod Taylor - 1 year, $5 million. I finally get what I have always wanted. He can mentor Maye. 

Sign Robert Hunt, G - 4 years, $55 million. I have no idea what he will go for. I tried for a Top 10 guard contract. 

Sign Dante Fowler, DE - 2 year, $5 million. 

Sign Josey Jewell, LB - 2 years, $14 million. 

---------------------------------

Released Logan Thomas, saved $6.54 million

Traded Sam Howell to the Vikings for pick 109

Cap going into the draft: About $25 million

Draft: 

Round 1 (#2) - Drake Maye, QB, North Carolina

Round 2 (#36) - Chris Braswell, EDGE, Alabama

Round 2 (#40) - Patrick Paul, OT, Houston

Round 3 (#67) - Malachi Corley, WR, Western Kentucky

Round 3 (#100) - Cade Stover, TE, Ohio State

Round 4 (#103) - Tommy Eichenberg, LB, Ohio State

Round 4 (#109 from Vikings) - Bucky Irving, RB, Oregon

Round 5 (#135) - Jaylin Simpson, CB, Auburn

Round 6 (#180) - Kingsley Eguakun, IOL, Florida

Round 7 (#219) - Xavier Thomas, EDGE, Clemson

Depth Chart: 

QB - Drake Maye, Tyrod Taylor, Jake Fromm 
RB - Brian Robinson Jr, Chris Rodriguez, Bucky Irving
FB - Alex Armah
WR - Terry McLaurin, Malachi Corley, Mitchell Tinsley, Dax Milne
WR - Jahan Dotson, Dyami Brown, Jamison Crowder
TE - John Bates, Cade Stover, Cole Turner
OT - Charles Leno, Cornelius Lucas
OG - Robert Hunt, Chris Paul
OC - Tyler Larsen, Kingsley Eguakun, Nick Gates
OG - Sam Cosmi, Ricky Stromberg
OT - Andrew Wylie, Patrick Paul 

DE - James Smith-Williams, Casey Toohill, Xavier Thomas
DT - Jon Allen, John Ridgeway, Abdullah Anderson
DT - Daron Payne, Phi Mathis
DE/LB - Dante Fowler, Chris Braswell
LB - Jamin Davis, Khaleke Hudson
LB - Josey Jewell, Tommy Eichenberg
CB - BSJ, Christian Holmes
CB - Emmanuel Forbes, Kyu Blu Kelly
CB - Kendall Fuller, Jartavius Martin, Jaylin Simpson
S - Darrick Forest, Jeremy Reaves
S - Kam Curl, Percy Butler

K - Joey Slye/TBD Competition
P - Tress Way

@MikeT14 I am going to be honest, please don't take it personally.

I think that team is just as bad as the one fielded this year. Absolutely unacceptable to trot out the same secondary that was 32nd in the NFL. The offensive line got one new guy at G, that's not going to fix 65 sacks allowed, especially when Wylie and Leno are left protecting the edges. Somehow the TE room is worse than what we had last year. Dante Fowler should not be our primary pass rusher either, with significant top end talent in FA this year, no reason to cheap out with Fowler. We need a difference maker there. I think any familiar faces (Lucas, Crowder, Slye, Hudson, etc.) won't be resigned. This isn't the same staff that originally signed any of them, and undoubtedly if money is being spent it will be for the "new staffs guys" not the old. Also think Fuller should be resigned to a maximum 1-year deal. 

All-in-all, getting a young QB is nice, but behind that O-Line he would get destroyed. The defense isn't keeping you in games and most likely gives up the leagues most explosive plays again. Maybe they can steal 4 wins.

38 minutes ago, Slappy Mc said:

I think that team is just as bad as the one fielded this year.

Could be. I have a rookie QB again.

Absolutely unacceptable to trot out the same secondary that was 32nd in the NFL.

So you're not part of the argument of "it was the coaching" I see!

The offensive line got one new guy at G, that's not going to fix 65 sacks allowed, especially when Wylie and Leno are left protecting the edges.

Depth chart was loose. We might have Stromberg at Center and Paul at RT. So to correct your sentence some "The STARTING offensive line POTENTIALLY ONLY got one new guy"

Somehow the TE room is worse than what we had last year.

I can't fix everything in one year unfortunately. 

Dante Fowler should not be our primary pass rusher either, with significant top end talent in FA this year, no reason to cheap out with Fowler.

I wouldn't say I cheapened out getting talent when I spent #36 overall on a pass rusher, but I see your point. I could still spend more. Still Fowler isn't my main cog. Again, can't fix everything year 1. What top end talent might actually be available?

We need a difference maker there. I think any familiar faces (Lucas, Crowder, Slye, Hudson, etc.) won't be resigned. This isn't the same staff that originally signed any of them, and undoubtedly if money is being spent it will be for the "new staffs guys" not the old.

Probably not, but you can swap out equivalent salaried people if you wish. 

Also think Fuller should be resigned to a maximum 1-year deal. 

Okay, 1 or 2 year, either way. He was one of our better players last year. 

All-in-all, getting a young QB is nice, but behind that O-Line he would get destroyed. The defense isn't keeping you in games and most likely gives up the leagues most explosive plays again. Maybe they can steal 4 wins.

I don't expect to win a lot next year. Peters used rebuild for a reason. 

4 minutes ago, MikeT14 said:

So you're not part of the argument of "it was the coaching" I see!

Benjamin St. Juste is hot trash. Emmanuel Forbes is probably at best a back-up right now. Coaching has a lot to do with the scheme and positioning, but that CB room needs new life. 

7 minutes ago, MikeT14 said:

Depth chart was loose. We might have Stromberg at Center and Paul at RT. So to correct your sentence some "The STARTING offensive line POTENTIALLY ONLY got one new guy"

Doesn't change that the rookie QB will be damaged goods behind that O-Line.

8 minutes ago, MikeT14 said:

I wouldn't say I cheapened out getting talent when I spent #36 overall on a pass rusher, but I see your point. I could still spend more. Still Fowler isn't my main cog. Again, can't fix everything year 1. What top end talent might actually be available?

And you put him on the bench. Start Braswell over JSW, IMO. Danielle Hunter would be an ideal candidate and will almost assuredly see FA. I would give him the same contract Sweat got with no issues. Dude produces. 

16 minutes ago, MikeT14 said:

Okay, 1 or 2 year, either way. He was one of our better players last year. 

He was one of our better players and he didn't have a good season either. I think we need a true #1 CB. 

17 minutes ago, MikeT14 said:

I don't expect to win a lot next year. Peters used rebuild for a reason. 

At the very least the O-Line has to be repaired if you don't want Maye to be another Patrick Ramsey. 

1 minute ago, Slappy Mc said:

And you put him on the bench. Start Braswell over JSW, IMO.

Again, depth chart was loose. I didn't dive much into who was starting. If you want Braswell to start, so be it.

3 minutes ago, Slappy Mc said:

Danielle Hunter would be an ideal candidate and will almost assuredly see FA.

I'd guess on a contender first, but money talks. 

I'll agree to disagree that, while that line isn't done and would need future work, it's not going to perform as bad as last year's. Especially with a different QB back there. 

22 minutes ago, MikeT14 said:

I'll agree to disagree that, while that line isn't done and would need future work, it's not going to perform as bad as last year's. Especially with a different QB back there.

I mean, I'll get butchered for this, but Sam Howell and Drake Maye are the same. The difference is Maye's height. Same offense, same tendencies, same flaws. Drake Maye locks onto his primary receiver, every single play, for a full two seconds.

Honestly I can't take people seriously that are saying Maye is an improvement over Howell.

*Edit* Spot the difference

Edited by Slappy Mc