Off-Season 2024-"Peters" built

1 hour ago, e16bball said:

Saw a thing where Ben Standig called Charles Leno a “probable” pre-June cut. Of course the mouth-breathers on Facebook think it’s a great idea (the first clue that it’s a terrible idea).

I don’t see an avenue to get a better starting LT than Leno. I’m all ears if someone has an idea. But aside from passing on Maye, I don’t see it.

Maybe Lucas and a 2nd rounder.  Maybe Suamataia falls.  But I agree.  While Leno isn't elite, he is pretty reasonable cost for a solid tackle.  Solid tackles are hard to come by.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, e16bball said:

Saw a thing where Ben Standig called Charles Leno a “probable” pre-June cut. Of course the mouth-breathers on Facebook think it’s a great idea (the first clue that it’s a terrible idea).

I don’t see an avenue to get a better starting LT than Leno. I’m all ears if someone has an idea. But aside from passing on Maye, I don’t see it.

Fully depends on where they find a tackle in the draft, and do they keep Cosmi at OG or move back to OT?  

I’d rather have Leno than Wylie, even if the cap savings is minimal or a negative.  Leno as a leader in the locker room is too invaluable to let go as a post-June 1st cut.  He’s still an average to slightly above average LT.  

• Like 2

Very interested to see what they’ll decide to do with Quan Martin. 

In my proposed offseason, I had him playing as a S, which opened up a glaring need for a slot CB. But maybe they’ll see him as the slot player? 

If that’s the case, the big need in the secondary might actually be for that deep post safety position that Malik Hooker played in DAL (and Earl Thomas played to some acclaim in SEA), as you could drop both Forrest and Curl down into the box more often.

I’m not that familiar with Jordan Whitehead, but a lot of the scouting reports I’m seeing seem to suggest that he could be that type of player in the deep middle.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, e16bball said:

Very interested to see what they’ll decide to do with Quan Martin. 

In my proposed offseason, I had him playing as a S, which opened up a glaring need for a slot CB. But maybe they’ll see him as the slot player? 

If that’s the case, the big need in the secondary might actually be for that deep post safety position that Malik Hooker played in DAL (and Earl Thomas played to some acclaim in SEA), as you could drop both Forrest and Curl down into the box more often.

I’m not that familiar with Jordan Whitehead, but a lot of the scouting reports I’m seeing seem to suggest that he could be that type of player in the deep middle.

How about Percy Butler for that role? He always seems to be around the ball, so his athleticism and instincts are there imo for him to be a deep coverage guy. His biggest weakness is tackling too so pulling him further away from the LOS is just gravy. 

12 hours ago, e16bball said:

Ya this makes no sense to me. We have so many other needs, he's serviceable and like you said his contract is quite reasonable for what he brings to the table. 

• Like 2

On 2/18/2024 at 1:36 AM, e16bball said:

Re-sign S Kam Curl

Safety is obviously a key spot for Quinn and Whitt, and Curl is a really perfect fit for a group that’s going to want to have a couple guys who can play run and pass. I envision Curl and Martin in that sort of cobra/buffalo role, with Forrest playing more in the deep post. 

If its reasonable then sure. I don't want to pay him any sort of record setting contract though. 

Sign OT Jonah Williams

He’s never going to be what he was drafted to be, but I think he can be a pretty solid RT if you’re not expecting him to be a road grader in the run game. Kind of what McGlinchey was for the Niners. 

I'm pretty down on this guy. The Bengals have actively looked to upgrade their OTs even after taking him in the first round, that's a pretty bad sign imo. Plus he's injury prone. He's living off of draft name recognition at this point imo. 

Sign DE Bryce Huff

Some fits really make perfect sense. Quinn is going to want a LEO with some juice to just pin his ears back and get after QBs. That’s pretty much all Huff does. I would not pay a crazy amount for him, but he’s the type of player we need.

Agreed. 

Sign TE Dalton Schultz

Look, if I’m him, I’m probably not leaving CJ Stroud. But I don’t see another real appealing option at the TE position (FA or draft), and I think a veteran receiving TE is such a nice safety blanket for a young QB. I would make a real strong push.

I agree with you, I don't see him leaving his situation with the Texans but if he's willing then why not. 

Sign CB Jourdan Lewis

This is a guy I really think they’ll try to poach. He’s a tough, instinctive slot guy, and if they’re not paying Fuller, they’ll need somebody who can cover in addition to Forbes and BSJ. Don’t see the price being crazy here.

Ya I'll be curious what the new FO's opinion of our secondary will be. We have spent a lot of resources there with the previous regime so FA will probably be the first indication of whether they think any of them are salvageable or whether they want to blow it up. Like you said too, if Fuller walks we probably need a vet at the top of the depth chart. 

Sign DE Dante Fowler

I’m just assuming we’ll sign him. He played with Quinn in ATL and then came to join him in DAL. This will be a small deal, but we’ll need someone like him to rotate in and give a little pass rush juice.

Sounds reasonable. I have been toying around with an idea about trading for Joey Bosa from the Chargers. He has had two injury riddled seasons in a row, has a massive cap number and they are way over the cap. I just don't know how much it would cost draft pick wise to bring him in. He turns 29 in July too, so we'd maybe only get 3-4 years prime out of him. Not sure if that's worth it. 

Sign LB Devin Bush

Literally just a placeholder. They should probably sign some veteran LB they like for a little money. Probably two, actually. He played for Seattle last year, so…maybe him? Don’t see any good DAL poach options.

Ya unfortunately the linebacker FA market is pretty bare this year. 

1 (2). QB Drake Maye, UNC

We haven’t really spent much time talking about this one. Just a random shot in the dark. Seems like he could be good?

Who? 

2 (36). WR Keon Coleman/Adonai Mitchell

I really haven’t decided between these two. But I’d like to add a WR with some size and speed to create plays down the field. Coleman is more of a YAC guy, Mitchell more of a go ball/red zone guy. 

I like spending our top 2nd on a weapon for the new QB. I also think Curtis Samuel is gone and who knows with Dotson so this makes sense. 

2 (40). Trade Down

I’d like to move down from this pick. What I really would love to see is a move into the back half of the 2nd round, picking up a future 2nd from a good team. Rolling our current pick surplus into next year is a very Eagles/Ravens type move. 

You had me at trade down.

2 (58) OG Christian Haynes, UConn

Just posted in the draft thread about him, and I think he’s a very sensible fit for us. Very good on the move, both laterally and vertically, and solid in the pass game. See him as an immediate starter. 

LG is probably one of the biggest needs on the team. Makes sense. 

3 (67). LB Payton Wilson, NC State

Injury and age issues will likely drive him down the board. But he’s an extremely impactful, physical player who can do a little bit of everything. Very high energy, tone setter. I like the combo with him and Jamin Davis.

3 (101). RB Bucky Irving, Oregon

Does he make it this far? I don’t really know. I’d use a later pick to move up a bit to get him if we feel like we need to. Don’t like the back end of this draft. He’s super quick and excellent as a pass catcher. Extremely difficult to tackle for a small guy, there are some Darren Sproles vibes, feels like the perfect complement to what we have.

4 (103). CB Renardo Green

I think they’ll want a guy to develop behind BSJ/Forbes/Lewis, and he’s a great athlete who plays a ton of press man. He’s a guy with a lot of upside who I think this staff could really make something out of.

All seem reasonable, although it seems a shame not to grab an Edge somewhere. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MKnight82 said:

How about Percy Butler for that role? He always seems to be around the ball, so his athleticism and instincts are there imo for him to be a deep coverage guy. His biggest weakness is tackling too so pulling him further away from the LOS is just gravy. 

I want my FS to be a good tackler. Butler also made a lot of mistakes last year. We lost a lot IMO when Darrick Forrest broke his shoulder blade and was out for the year.

17 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

I want my FS to be a good tackler. Butler also made a lot of mistakes last year. We lost a lot IMO when Darrick Forrest broke his shoulder blade and was out for the year.

But Butler is already on the roster and we spent a 4th round pick on him. It would be nice to find a role he could fill. @e16bball was talking about utilizing a bunch of safeties on the field at the same time. 

https://www.espn.com/nfl/insider/insider/story/_/id/39531864/2024-nfl-free-agency-best-team-fits-ranking-top-50-players-available-offseason 

19. Kendall Fuller, CB

Best team fit: Detroit Lions

22. Jonah Jackson, G

Best team fit: Washington Commanders

Fitting into Kliff Kingsbury's offense in Washington, Jackson would immediately upgrade the left guard position. He can keep the pocket firm in pass protection, as he posted a 93.2% pass block win rate in Detroit last season. That's needed in D.C., as the Commanders allowed 65 sacks in 2023, tied for second most in the NFL. But Jackson is also an interior mauler who can create daylight in the run game, which could help spring Brian Robinson Jr.

25. Kyle Dugger, S

Slotting the versatile Dugger into Dan Quinn's defense makes a lot of sense. With his rare position versatility at 6-foot-2 and 228 pounds, Dugger can be deployed at multiple levels in sub-package personnel to create impact production. Over four pro seasons with New England, Dugger has 343 tackles, 9 interceptions, 2 forced fumbles and 2.5 sacks.

36. Kamren Curl, S

Best team fit: New York Jets

46. Tony Pollard, RB

With Antonio Gibson heading to free agency, the Commanders could target someone like Pollard on a short-term deal to create a backfield rotation with Brian Robinson Jr. I like that duo. Washington could then reduce the workload for Pollard while maximizing his dual-threat ability. In five pro seasons with the Cowboys, Pollard had 179 receptions, and in 2023 he rushed for over 1,000 yards for a second straight season.

1 hour ago, MikeT14 said:

Interesting - that article just has us replace Curl with Dugger

Interesting, I don’t really know much about Dugger bc I don’t see the Patriots much anymore since they haven’t been as good since Brady left. I don’t know why the Pats wouldn’t re-sign Dugger for one.

Based off stats, I’d want Dugger over Curl but, I do wonder if his coverage on TEs is as good as Curl’s. It’s really only something that can be looked at on film or by looking at the stats of TEs vs the Pats last season. 

I did that with Curl bc someone on twitter tried to act like Curl wasn't good in coverage vs TEs & I think there were only 1 or 2 weeks where Curl/our D got burned by TEs. Once was vs Waller of the Giants when he had 7 recs for 98 yards & a TD.

Edited by turtle28

14 hours ago, ARTMONK HOF said:

Would you trade one of our 2nd rounders for Brandon Aiyuk? 

The man is really really good but paying he and Terry would be tough when I just don’t think we’re there yet. But he’s a bigger guy and I think he’s open a ton. I think they leave a lot of numbers on the field with him because their offense has a ton of options and setups