49ers [24] Packers [21] - PostGame Thread

CWood21

1 minute ago, Isherwood said:

I wasn’t a fan when we drafted him, but I really thought he was a successful development project who turned a corner. Then he went on a milk carton for most of the year. 

Why was he even considered a development project to begin with? The guy was the number 1 recruit in the entire country coming out of high school, he was average in college and and he's been average in the NFL. He's never resembled anything close to a top 5 pass rusher yet we still paid him like one. What the hell were we so afraid of?

Seems everybody figured Gary out this year; that you could literally ride him deep into the backfield and give your QB an escape route because this D does NOT use their DL for contain, and that he couldn't punish you if you didn't stand your ground and try to stonewall him on the line.

He'd never have the sack numbers needed to justify his contract, but changing him into a proper 4-3 DE with legit gap responsibilities may go a long way to turning him into a more complete defender again.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Zycho32 said:

Seems everybody figured Gary out this year; that you could literally ride him deep into the backfield and give your QB an escape route because this D does NOT use their DL for contain, and that he couldn't punish you if you didn't stand your ground and try to stonewall him on the line.

He'd never have the sack numbers needed to justify his contract, but changing him into a proper 4-3 DE with legit gap responsibilities may go a long way to turning him into a more complete defender again.

Agreed,  Gary and LVN would make great 4-3 DEs, Wyatt is a great 3Tech and Clark can man the run gap

Moody also missed a kick.

All 3 units had a big hand in the loss - Special teams with the bad kick, defense giving up the winning points, and offense failing to close out the game on their last 3 drives besides the FG- 0 points.

Overall I wasn't impressed at all with the defense played by either team.  SF was very sloppy with penalties, and GB generated a few pressures but didn't really get home enough to bother Purdy.  Purdy just kind of played bad in the elements.  Packers dropped 1 gimme interception and 1 easy interception, and SF made a really nice play on a bad jordan love ball and then closed out the game by catching their gimme.

Jordan love really needs to figure out his scramble game a LOT better.  He needs to threaten more with his legs.  There was a time on a boot where he forced it to the checkdown when he could have easily put kraft's guy in a really tough spot by threatening the run.  This is a big big area that he needs to improve.  Looked like Las Vegas Love in the 4th quarter.

• Like 7

And for those who don't believe in the Arsenal/Packers curse, Arsenal win 5-0 against Crystal Palace and the Packers lose!!!!

I even tried not to know the Arsenal score to break the jinx but obviously it didn't work

As much as the poor spot on the 4th down play in the 1st quarter and the missed interceptions, I feel we had just as much rub of the green.

This game was there for the taking and we had things go our way to win it and I'm not sure we'll get those favorable things happen again.

+ Two PI's that kept drives alive and ended up in scores

+ Blocked FG

+ Fumble recovery on Nixon's long kick off return

+ Biggest one for me, Niners losing Deebo early, their offence ain't the same without him

It never felt like our offence was in rhythm, we kind of abandoned the run a bit. We needed points on those 3 drives at the end of third and 4th quarter, score on them and we have the game

4 hours ago, Kampfgeist said:

That's it.    I'm             supporting Barry staying in GB

.   

The D has played well the last few weeks.    Barry can              .    Those two statements are     mutually exclusive

Got it.  Kampfgeist wants Joe Barry back!

• Like 2

Hell of a season guys. Super Bowl contenders next year for the next ten years. You guys have the North next year. Lions are nothing without Ben Johnson. Jordan Love is a superstar. Great HC. An amazing young WR/TE who all have superstar potential. Defense came on strong the final 4 weeks. Get rid of that kicker though, he’s trash. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Lodestar said:

I keep telling myself house money house money but **** they were so close to winning that game

I wasn’t convinced at the beginning or middle of the season that the future was now.  We were a few plays away from the NFC championship game.  With so much rookie talent, with corresponding big contracts coming in a few years, we have a narrow window of “now” to make hay.  Makes last night’s loss even tougher.

• Like 1

This game is the cherry on top another collapse in the playoffs for the Green Bay Packers. All season when it mattered rhe most the defense could not get a stop or turnover when it matter the most. Just like two years ago special teams choking again against the Niners.

Edited by landoc88