49ers [24] Packers [21] - PostGame Thread

CWood21

2 minutes ago, Leader said:

Get rid of Barry.

I dont want to see this defense anymore.

I dont know who that guy is.....I just know I'm DONE with this defense.

Make the change MLF.

Get. It. Done.

Agreed, but we're lacking playmakers. SFs defense flies all over the field, just like Tampa Bay's back in 2021. 

We need some key defensive additions, plus a new voice to lead them, to round out this team. 

The offense will be ok. 

• Like 1

Packers Offseason Checklist

[ ] Extend Jordan Love
[ ] Fire Joe Barry
[ ] Release/Paycut David Bakhtiari
[ ] Extend Kenny Clark
[ ] Extend/Paycut Aaron Jones
[ ] Bring in Kicker Competition

And goes from there.

• Like 6

Just now, TransientTexan said:

& for all the “field-goals-aren’t-going-to-be-enough” talking-heads & the nerds that mindlessly parrot them, GB sure could have used a FG on that 2nd drive (setting aside the bad spot on 4th down).

Too many NFL teams throw away easy points early in games as if they 100% *know* what’s going to happen later in their crystal ball, & it ends up biting them. 

Yeah I mean on the one hand I understand you feel you need a TD when you're that close, but against a defense like this where those typically come at a premium, you probably should take the points.

Having said that, Anders Carlson stinks, and yeah I know I probably got spoiled for over 20 years going from Longwell to Crosby, but count me in the department that I just don't think AC17 is our answer here.  Only player I got any current beef with atm.

I gotta say despite some of Love's decisions, I still like him over Rodgers against these guys because at least he made an effort and went down swinging and didn't take the dumb sacks.  That is a refreshing change for me.

On Joe Barry, yeah that was all too likely going to come back.  Certainly the defense was not the only issue out there, but they just didn't get it done when it mattered most.

I do think we will get these guys next year, bookmark the post so I can be the first to call it right here.  4th time will be the charm for MLF, I can feel it.  It may be the end of the season, but it's just the beginning of the new Book of Love.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, CWood21 said:

I'd venture to say if he's not fired by Thursday, he'll be back.  Figure give them a day or two to "recover" from the loss.  Probably a day to review the offense, a day to review the defense, and a day to review ST.

His return will be a sad day for GB and put a cap already on next years team.

He will not lead a top flight / championship level defense.

It's not in his DNA. Wont happen.

His return will signal GB "settling" - as opposed to being aggressive to resolve an OBVIOUS deficiency.

• Like 1

They did not get blown out. Almost had it.

Barry still needs to go, though I doubt Lafleur does it. 

Yet again, Special Teams did us in against the 49'ers. They at least need to bring in legit competition against Carlson for next training camp. 

BUT, we have our QB. He is still him. 

And now our draft simulatin' is set. ;)

Got alot of needs. Can't fill them all through just this one draft, but I see needs like a CB like Wiggins, a Safety, a LB, a DLineman like Sweat, an OG/C like Barton, a RB, and though unpopular here, I do think they might benefit from a defense-stretcher like Watson IF this offseason they determine his hamstring issues prove chronic. (Yes, I know they have Melton and such may be a luxury they can't afford now, but just sayin'...)

Again, I said not all these needs can get sufficiently filled in just one draft, especially given not every draft pick pans out. But given Love will get his big, salary-cap eating 2nd contract this offseason, it will hinder this ongoing rebuild, at least in terms of how much they can do into free agency, so Gutekunst needs to keep hitting for a high average in the draft.

Future is BRIGHT!!!! Go Pack Go...

Edited by DWhitehurst
  • Like 1

It just sucks watching Purdy succeed because he’s so clearly average. A little pressure in his face and he just throws it up. If he can’t get to his first read, he’s incredibly average. The offense around him puts him on easy mode. Our defense hangs on to 2 interceptions and he is the #1 pariah and the reason they lose that game. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, CWood21 said:

Packers Offseason Checklist

[ ] Extend Jordan Love
[ ] Fire Joe Barry
[ ] Release/Paycut David Bakhtiari
[ ] Extend Kenny Clark
[ ] Extend/Paycut Aaron Jones

And goes from there.

Agree with all and I'd also ship Anders Carlson out, he's an unreliable kicker

1 minute ago, Leader said:

Needs to be faster than that.

What with the number of DCs that have already (and will be) interviewing.....this decision needs some urgency behind it - or the decision will be made for us by all potential improvements securing other jobs.

Get. It. Done.

Not sure.  They have to go through player exit interviews and then coaches.  Barry's contract expires this offseason.  They just may not renew it.  

Just now, Leader said:

His return will be a sad day for GB and put a cap already on next years team.

He will not lead a top flight / championship level defense.

It's not in his DNA. Wont happen.

His return will signal GB "settling" - as opposed to being aggressive to resolve an OBVIOUS deficiency.

As Michael said to Conny: "If you do this thing.....you'll disappoint me"

Seeing how that game played out and them losing it sucks but I will truly be in despair if Barry is back. It was a fun season, the team is headed in the right direction. Please don't screw this up Gute/LaFleur. It's time for a new DC......and to continue to add more talent on defense since they still don't have enough despite how many high picks they keep using on that side of the ball