2024 Coaching Changes: Hiring Positional Coaches

Kiltman

2 minutes ago, downundermike said:

The only thing that makes sense about it is he just spent a year with Steichen

He spent a year here as well. 

7 minutes ago, AZ_Eaglesfan said:

Jim Bob Cooter coming into to call plays in the same offense we just ran would be ******* misery lol. I know he is highly regarded in NFL circles, but I just don't get it.

Bring in someone from another system or watch the same **** unfold again......

yeah I just don’t think it’s smart. Did he ever even do well in Detroit lol

eagles need to take a swing here. Whether is be a huge risk like bienemy or mcdaniels or some young up and comer from the shanahan/mcvay tree

jim bob cooter would be quite hilarious

12 minutes ago, Last Stand said:

Nick is definitely coming back lol. Eagles just set a press conference for wednesday

im becoming increasingly nervous that Jim bob cooter is gonna be our OC lol

But I expect to hear the eagles have hired Ron Rivera within the next day or so followed by I’m hoping anyone but Jim Bob cooter 

we don’t need offensive cooter calling plays

I would legitimately rather bring in EB to call plays.  Cooter doesn't even make sense from an organizational philosophy.  Unless I'm misremembering, he has consistently called offenses that rank near the top of the league in run play percentage.  I can't imagine Lurie and Howie would be too happy with the Eagles offense looking a lot like the 2nd half of 2021 version where they were so run heavy.

5 minutes ago, CasperX22 said:

I would legitimately rather bring in EB to call plays.  Cooter doesn't even make sense from an organizational philosophy.  Unless I'm misremembering, he has consistently called offenses that rank near the top of the league in run play percentage.  I can't imagine Lurie and Howie would be too happy with the Eagles offense looking a lot like the 2nd half of 2021 version where they were so run heavy.

I think Jim Bob cooter would be a mistake, the worst they could make. I think EB would be as well, but he’d for sure be better. I didn’t love how much he had Sam Howell of all people throw

that was concerning, buuut Sam Howell was leading the league in passing for a while lol.

eagles need a leader at OC. They need innovation, they need consistency. 

39 minutes ago, Last Stand said:

The guy that Doug just fired? Lol

i guess idk much about why he was fired but what the heck

I mean he has ties to the organization both as a player and as a coach getting his feet wet here, but the defense was seemingly very underwhelming relative to the talent on that roster.  He was definitely a hot name when he was hired by the Jags, but I imagine the shine is off of that now though.

1 hour ago, Broadway Joe said:

Why are we so bad at this?

Given the candidates we are seeing it is very telling the FO does not want an up and comer, they want someone that has already been a DC.

Are we? They just went young up and coming 3 years ago only to lose both OC/DC after 2 years to HC jobs elsewhere. 

Attempted to go young again last year with replacements like Desai/BJ only to watch both fail miserably that following year. 

While retread HC/DC from yester years (Reich,Rivera,Cadwell,Fraziers of NFL) seems like a step back, is it? Is getting previous HC as a new Coordinator who has expirence running a lockerroom,  being leaders of men actually a bad thing given what just transpired?

Could those type of coaches not bring some kind of stability to the situation? Be sounding boards for actual potential change for Nick because of their experience? Are these retreads "less"or more  likely to leave after the 2024 season if we have success? Get poached away yet again?

I know everyone is obsessed with the Shanny, McVay coaching trees. Wants the new flavor of the Month but other then Sean McVay himself,  none of them have actually gotten it done either.  Had more success then Sirianni himself his 1st 3 years as a Eagle. 

Edited by Nabbs4u

3 minutes ago, CasperX22 said:

I mean he has ties to the organization both as a player and as a coach getting his feet wet here, but the defense was seemingly very underwhelming relative to the talent on that roster.  He was definitely a hot name when he was hired by the Jags, but I imagine the shine is off of that now though.

I just think there’s been nothing to show Caldwell can run a successful defense

ron, wink, Frazier, and others have at least run successful defenses

10 minutes ago, CasperX22 said:

I'm not panicking yet at least.  It seems like the Eagles are casting a relatively wide net for their next DC.  They definitely need to get this hire right though or it's going to be another miserable season.

This!

Not sure why given our history of hiring coaches people are surprised. It's been 7 whole days.

Is Brian Johnson gonna walk? How was he as a coach outside of playcalling?

Whether it's Slowik or Johnson or whoever for DC (and I am assuming it's a current OC), I'd like him to get an OC with some experience. Was thinking about Brian, and how he could do the role and not worry about plays.

5 minutes ago, MikeT14 said:

Is Brian Johnson gonna walk? How was he as a coach outside of playcalling?

Whether it's Slowik or Johnson or whoever for DC (and I am assuming it's a current OC), I'd like him to get an OC with some experience. Was thinking about Brian, and how he could do the role and not worry about plays.

Brian Johnson is not looked at fondly around these parts :) 

Our offense under Steichen was very good. Our offense under BJ was very underwhelming. Siranni obviously has his influence on the offense, but there is an obvious correlation there.

• Like 1