2024 Free Agency Discussion

RaidersAreOne

2 minutes ago, Forge said:

On the run your own fake franchise board on the forum I drafted Tua and I came up with "Currently projecting/budgeting Tua for a 5y/265m extension (10mil less than Burrow, 3mil more than Herbert)". Spotrac's is a year less than my projection, but at 55mil APY instead of 53 APY. I think the cap boost really helps his case being in the middle of his two draft classmates contract wise.

15 hours ago, nagahide13 said:

I've been seeing Chris Jones' next contract project to be anywhere between 28-35 aav. I get the feeling that he'd probably hold out if tagged. I wouldn't be surprised if that among the reasons the Chiefs were using it on Sneed instead. They're already going to have to make a few moves to gain the flexibility to tag Sneed and sign rookies. (after cutting MVS they should have about 29 mm?)

They'll have to be pretty darn creative to keep him. I gotta think he ends up elsewhere. Probably the Bears because I'd hate it.

Plus, they already signed Isaiah Buggs through 2024 so they've basically already replaced Jones. 🤡

Mahomes could be restructured. His aav is incredibly team-friendly after 2028. They could potentially re-work a bunch of deals and re-sign him, but it's hard for me to envision it right now. Probably good I'm not a capologist. 😁

It feels like they'd have to sacrifice a lot down the line to make it work.

I don't know if doing a tag and trade on Sneed would have cap implications for the Chiefs.

Capwise, the tag amount is a fully guaranteed annual salary, paid during the season. So if a tagged player is traded, the team gets the cap space back to spend on other players. One thing about the tag is the team has to reserve that space for the player, even if he hasn't signed the tender yet. The team can withdraw an unsigned tender and regain the cap space but the Chiefs won't do that with Sneed. 

With Chris Jones, he's already said he wants to stay in KC, but the required 20% raise over his 2023 cap number would make the tag impractical. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Forge said:

57-60 sounded right

I imagine whoever signs first will get less (Dak vs. Tua) - wonder if that'll play into their contract negotiations.  Both will want to be the highest paid QB in the NFL with Burrow setting the current bar at $55m AAV

20 minutes ago, MaddHatter said:

I imagine whoever signs first will get less (Dak vs. Tua) - wonder if that'll play into their contract negotiations.  Both will want to be the highest paid QB in the NFL with Burrow setting the current bar at $55m AAV

Nobody is beating Dak. The only reason he doesn't completely reset the market is if he doesn't want to. He has too much leverage not to be the highest paid player in the NFL

2 hours ago, Forge said:

Nobody is beating Dak. The only reason he doesn't completely reset the market is if he doesn't want to. He has too much leverage not to be the highest paid player in the NFL

He was the one who opted to only do a 4year contract last time, as Dallas wanted 7.  He most certainly wanted a chance to re-up while in his prime.  Question now is, does he push for a 7yr deal now to see him thru to the end, or does he go for another 3-4yr deal and try to slide one more mega-deal in 

1 minute ago, NYRaider said:

That's insane money

I support Tua getting less because I feel like his is the most likely contract comp for Purdy lol

So get those numbers down, Miami!