2024 Free Agency Discussion

RaidersAreOne

The Rams resigned Demarcus Robinson. Very underrated signing. I love it. Having a healthy Kupp, Puka, and Robinson then as a side piece Tutu the way he was playing this season even in the playoff game catching the TD pass. The Rams could legit have the best receiving groups in the NFL. The Rams dont make their playoff run without Robinson. So again I love the Rams bringing him back. 

Gonna be interesting to see what kind of deals Burns, Josh Allen, Chris Jones, Danielle Hunter, Madubuike, Winfield Jr, Tee higgins, and Jaylon Johnson get.
These agents gotta be salivating with that cap increase.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jeezla said:

Gonna be interesting to see what kind of deals Burns, Josh Allen, Chris Jones, Danielle Hunter, Madubuike, Winfield Jr, Tee higgins, and Jaylon Johnson get.

See several of those names getting said tag. Might not be to happy.

21 hours ago, Jeezla said:

A LOT of franchise tags incoming.

21 minutes ago, massraider said:

Feels like there's more affordable edge guys this year.

Guys like  Uche, Van Ginkel, Dorance Armstrong, Lawson, Epenesa. 

Feel like any one of them could have a big year on a mid level deal. 

The question I have is what is a mid level deal in this cap? 

18 million a year ? 

In 2016 the NBA salary cap skyrocketed 20%- from 70m to 94m. Suddenly there was 420m to go around in a subpar free agent class. The Lakers signed Timofey Mozgov for 4/64 and Luol Deng at 4/72.. an ancient Joakim Noah got 4/72 from NY.  Matthew Dellavedova 4/38.. Kentucky Bazemore 4/70.. the list goes on and on.

Point is, will we see the same sort of wackiness this year in the NFL? Most of the best FAs will get tagged- so somebody is bound to give Gabe Davis or Chase Young a stupid deal

• Like 1

7 hours ago, adamq said:

In 2016 the NBA salary cap skyrocketed 20%- from 70m to 94m. Suddenly there was 420m to go around in a subpar free agent class. The Lakers signed Timofey Mozgov for 4/64 and Luol Deng at 4/72.. an ancient Joakim Noah got 4/72 from NY.  Matthew Dellavedova 4/38.. Kentucky Bazemore 4/70.. the list goes on and on.

Point is, will we see the same sort of wackiness this year in the NFL? Most of the best FAs will get tagged- so somebody is bound to give Gabe Davis or Chase Young a stupid deal

I think we'll see some of that - the top tier guys are assuredly going to be tagged so you'll have teams with expectations to spend with cash to burn now not getting the guys they wanted. The salary floor will make sure teams pay out... Chase Young is assuredly getting a bonkers deal from some team that's still evaluating him based on his rookie season and pre draft hype. 

What I really hope to expect? 2025 free agents get extended ahead of time (that - selfishly - includes WR Nico Collins). While the '24 headliners get tagged, the guys slated to hit in 2025 (Goff, Dak, DeForest Buckner, Justin Simmons, Zack Martin) get the 3-4 year add on deals. These guys would probably get a bit more as FAs on an open market, but will take a slight haircut for the guaranteed money to be paid right now.

I'd also look for someone like JaMarr Chase and Trevor Lawrence to get their market setters in advance of their 5th year option, take advantage of the bump and front load deals on home grown guys. This might include an extension for Justin Fields - not a market setter, but a bandaid deal that extends the evaluation window and get Fields some guaranteed money in his pocket.

• Like 2

On 2/23/2024 at 7:08 PM, Jeezla said:

Higgins tagged.

Josh Allen is pretty much assured of getting a tag

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ET80 said:

I think we'll see some of that - the top tier guys are assuredly going to be tagged so you'll have teams with expectations to spend with cash to burn now not getting the guys they wanted. The salary floor will make sure teams pay out... Chase Young is assuredly getting a bonkers deal from some team that's still evaluating him based on his rookie season and pre draft hype. 

What I really hope to expect? 2025 free agents get extended ahead of time (that - selfishly - includes WR Nico Collins). While the '24 headliners get tagged, the guys slated to hit in 2025 (Goff, Dak, DeForest Buckner, Justin Simmons, Zack Martin) get the 3-4 year add on deals. These guys would probably get a bit more as FAs on an open market, but will take a slight haircut for the guaranteed money to be paid right now.

I'd also look for someone like JaMarr Chase and Trevor Lawrence to get their market setters in advance of their 5th year option, take advantage of the bump and front load deals on home grown guys. This might include an extension for Justin Fields - not a market setter, but a bandaid deal that extends the evaluation window and get Fields some guaranteed money in his pocket.

The thing (blessing or curse?) with a team like the Titans is they are really lacking with guys they’d extend to a long term deal (thanks to the bust that was the 2020, 2021 and tbd 2022 draft classes) on the current roster. Like the only guy from our 2025 free agent class who we may extend is DeAndre Hopkins. And even that’s questionable with a guy who’ll be 33 when the 2025 season rolls around.

I say all that to say the Titans have a lot of cap space and aren’t tied up to that many guys longterm on the current roster. So if we’re one of those teams who gives a larger than expected contract to Patrick Queen and/or Geno Stone (two guys at positions of needs who have connections to our new DC, especially Stone) don’t be surprised. Just going ahead and putting it out there.

• Like 1