2024 Free Agency Discussion

RaidersAreOne

59 minutes ago, Forge said:

Oh, I don't doubt that. I'd pretty consistently mock them a receiver in the first. 

Torn tbh. One hand it’s a definitive need, the other, it’s our defense that consistently lets us down and needs play makers especially on the line. I trust Josh is going to put up points come hell or high water even if that’s with this version of Diggs, Shakir, Kincaid, Knox, Cook, and a mid rounds receiver 

17 hours ago, HoboRocket said:

You think they move up for a guy like Malik Nabers or Rome Odunze? Both guys feel like sure-thing #1s. Both Texas WRs scare me. Feel like potential

I can absolutely see the Bills going up for one of the top WR. Beane loves to trade and when he has his guy, he gets the itch to go get him.

That said, I do think they could stay where they are and get a day 1 starter on the outside. I suspect the Bills end up with at least two rookie WR from this class.

3 hours ago, Teen Girl Squad said:

At the risk of stirring the hornets nest, I don't like the punter switch in KC. I always find that giving up a high end punter/kicker for a few million is penny wise, pound foolish.

There is only so much $$ to go around.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, nicfre2011 said:

There is only so much $$ to go around.

In general I agree but the $2-3 million they save is basically a rounding error on the Jones/Sneed contracts. Its a depth signing that is more likely to be a nothingburger than meaningful. With that defense and Mahomes, I'd rather keep the kicking advantage with Butker and Townsend to maintain a consistent field position advantage. I get it for a team like the Rams last year who ripped off a bandaid to be cap compliant but the Chiefs have plenty of flexibility to move 2-3 million in cap space.

4 hours ago, Teen Girl Squad said:

In general I agree but the $2-3 million they save is basically a rounding error on the Jones/Sneed contracts. Its a depth signing that is more likely to be a nothingburger than meaningful. With that defense and Mahomes, I'd rather keep the kicking advantage with Butker and Townsend to maintain a consistent field position advantage. I get it for a team like the Rams last year who ripped off a bandaid to be cap compliant but the Chiefs have plenty of flexibility to move 2-3 million in cap space.

Alternatively, that $2M - $3M is what we spent last year on guys like Mike Edwards, Drue Tranquil, and Donvoan Smith. Star players? Nah. But key players to our run, absolutely. Starting LT, 3rd S who was forced to start due to injury, 3rd LB who was forced to start at Mike due to injury. And I'm not even being selective, those are the only three guys we signed last year for that amount of money. With good scouting and coaching, you can get a lot of value for a few million dollars in free agency. So as a team we hit on those kinds of signings. We find a lot of value there.

Add to it the team we have, and that even in a down year for our offense we had the 8th fewest punts in the league, there is way more value to be had with that money elsewhere. And to be clear, Townsend is a good punter, but he's not throw the bag at him good. We were middle of the pack in yards per punt, net yards per punt, touchback %, a little below average in rate of punts inside the 20. Like, swap Townsend for the league's worst in net yards per punt this past year, and we're losing about 4 yards per punt. We punt a little under 3.5 times per game. So you're talking...14 yards of field position per game? And that's assuming that those stats are all on the punters. Much of that is really going to come down to punt coverage, which would still be good under Toub. So it's not even going to be 14 whole yards.

Butker is a different story. He's a better K than Townsend is P, and K to me is far more valuable and harder to find than P. Very few kickers are year to year consistent. When you find one that is, and clutch in the post season to boot, you pay that guy. Townsend is just a solid punter on a team that doesn't punt very often.

• Like 4

6 hours ago, Jakuvious said:

Alternatively, that $2M - $3M is what we spent last year on guys like Mike Edwards, Drue Tranquil, and Donvoan Smith. Star players? Nah. But key players to our run, absolutely. Starting LT, 3rd S who was forced to start due to injury, 3rd LB who was forced to start at Mike due to injury. And I'm not even being selective, those are the only three guys we signed last year for that amount of money. With good scouting and coaching, you can get a lot of value for a few million dollars in free agency. So as a team we hit on those kinds of signings. We find a lot of value there.

Add to it the team we have, and that even in a down year for our offense we had the 8th fewest punts in the league, there is way more value to be had with that money elsewhere. And to be clear, Townsend is a good punter, but he's not throw the bag at him good. We were middle of the pack in yards per punt, net yards per punt, touchback %, a little below average in rate of punts inside the 20. Like, swap Townsend for the league's worst in net yards per punt this past year, and we're losing about 4 yards per punt. We punt a little under 3.5 times per game. So you're talking...14 yards of field position per game? And that's assuming that those stats are all on the punters. Much of that is really going to come down to punt coverage, which would still be good under Toub. So it's not even going to be 14 whole yards.

Butker is a different story. He's a better K than Townsend is P, and K to me is far more valuable and harder to find than P. Very few kickers are year to year consistent. When you find one that is, and clutch in the post season to boot, you pay that guy. Townsend is just a solid punter on a team that doesn't punt very often.

Spot on. A solid to above average punter at $3+ a year is an unnecessary luxury for us. I also trust Toub enough that if he has evaluated the new punter, he is likely on board with the signing all things considered.

56 minutes ago, Forge said:

Looks like Carr will be the Saints QB for at least 2025 as well 

These guys are absolutely nuts.

There's a lot of guys that can be cut in 25 to save on some cap. That might finally be the year to be awful and tank.

• Like 1