Around The League

Jerry

3 hours ago, RaidersAreOne said:

That's exactly what I am thinking their game plan is. 

Of course it is. Why make the move before the draft if it’s not to go for a QB?? It seems pretty obvious that they know that QBs are going 1,2,3 and they want JJ - so have decided to get ahead of the competition to secure their guy.

8 hours ago, big_palooka said:

They still have some nice pieces, including QB. Year 1 was always going to be a bit of a rebuild for Harbaugh with the way they were structured. He's purged an aging roster and will rebuild around Herbert.  

Long term I expect them to be competitive.

Short term it’s going to be super rough for the Bolts.  Im absolutely thrilled that Herbert is on a run centric offense with a middle of the road oline and rather poor RB talent. Combine that with the total lack of WRs and TEs  (at least untill they draft Nabers)… I’d be furious if I was him. 

11 minutes ago, big_palooka said:

The Raiders are going to be the team without a future at QB when the music stops this offseason aren't they? Looking more and more likely. 

They certainly seem to be on the outside looking in don’t they? 

It always seemed out of reach for them to move up enough from 13 into the top 3 and it seems the chance of them offering better than Minn to move up and grab the 4th QB will be equally unlikely.

Perhaps because I’ve always considered those options unrealistic, Nix and Penix have seemed pretty appealing options - more Nix for me. And that is still very much in play.

It will be interesting to see if they like either enough to take them. It’s a gamble both ways. Taking one of them and not. They’re clearly neither without significant question marks and have a really high probability of not working out - but the possibility of what it could do to the team if they became just solid, functional QBs able to run and play competent offense must be really tempting for the FO.

Equally, I can see a reasonable argument for Telesco just accepting the card he’s been dealt if he is unsure and playing it safe in his first season. He’s made a pretty good career off of taking the obvious first round pick - so I can certainly see the rationale should he go that way. 

I’m still just on the side of taking Nix at 13 if he’s there. 

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, big_palooka said:

Who says they are? Lot of offseason left. 

They did. At least for this year. Due to both of their restructures this week. Although in Macks restructure they can't franchise him next year.  I don't think any player in the history of the league has done a restructure to stay with the team and they cut him shortly after. 

1 hour ago, big_palooka said:

The Raiders are going to be the team without a future at QB when the music stops this offseason aren't they? Looking more and more likely. 

Yea, right now SO many teams need a QB. Guess we'll see if we can trade up and get one.

Good news, this is how the Cheifs got Mahomes. No one desperately needed a QB that year and Mahomes fell. Next year, not nearly as many teams will need a QB. 

I'd just really, really hate watching 17 games thinking "oh yay let's see how good we do with afterthoughts and second options at QB"

• Like 1

Just now, NYRaider said:

Why would an offensive guru like McVay sign Jimmy G? I thought good coaches never invested into QBs that can’t play? @Jeremy408

Because they already have a legitimate starter lol so it doesn't really matter who the back up is. What is the difference between a starter and a back up lol

Edited by Jeremy408

1 minute ago, Jeremy408 said:

Because they already have a legitimate starter lol so it doesn't really matter who the back up is. What is the difference between a starter and a back up lol

I’m just shocked to be honest, Tomlin clears McVay now

2 hours ago, big_palooka said:

if they don't pick one at 13 it's highly likely that they miss