Around The League

Jerry

1 hour ago, Humble_Beast said:

In your opinion, he’s a bust. What if he was in college all these years like Nix, Pennix, Daniels. Wilson is around the same age. Wilson played with a historically bad OL. He still had a couple good games (Chiefs, Dolphins). There’s a reason Wilson was drafted top 3, but he has a lot of bad variables working against him in NY. People thought Baker was utter garbage last year. Zach Wilson wouldn’t be the first guy who needed a fresh start and realize his potential. Wilson is just hitting his prime. All that for a late round pick swap. That’s the type of move you make if you need a QB and don’t have a top 3 pick. 

I still think Trey Lance / Malik Willis could be good trade prospects 

Name another QB who realized his potential not named Drew Brees. Even Baker Mayfield was good in Cleveland before injury and bouncing around to get to Tampa. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Darbsk said:

Well, you could be right. Wilson was clearly over drafted when you (with hindsight of course) look at the player that was drafted and his skills. He could be better with a change of scenery of course, but that would be such a monumental turnaround from a player who hasnt really flashed the talent or mentality at all. If he’d shown done things and maybe was limited by situation then I’d say he might have a chance. There are always some players that are held back and have latent talent, I just don’t think Wilson is one. I’ve seen the Jets with Wilson quite a few times and he’s clearly just a bust to me. 

A big issue with Wilson is he's not a relatable teammate. He's an entitled rich kid who rubbed people the wrong way. He's been statistically a bottom 5 QB in nearly every metric. A turnaround would be meteoric in nature. 

He's a product of teams looking for "the next Mahomes". He was mid at BYU against poor competition. Made some highlight throws off structure that got him on the radar. Then his pro day elevated him with some out of structure bombs. Evaluators just ignored the fact he didn't know how to play QB in college. Pretty wild honestly....

But here we are in 2024 and teams are still overrating QBs in the drafts.... learning nothing.  

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Darbsk said:

But Baker Mayfield had actually shown flashes and wasn’t actually that bad (possibly people who didn’t like him really went harshly on him). I never thought he was bad, just not living up to draft position. Wilson has been pretty dire.

Yea after Carolina everyone was calling him a bust not say Wilson will do the same. Wilson has the tools tho and he’s young

4 hours ago, NCOUGHMAN said:

For a 6th imo it was worth it

most 6th and 7th rounders amount to nothing, you take a risk at an important position of need. I would look to make a trade of Trey Lance with a pick sway. He has a high salary for a QB3, Lance is younger than Pennix and Nix lol

3 hours ago, NCOUGHMAN said:

Imo Cleveland scapegoated baker

Dude had his own issues too. His girl couldn't stop saying crazy stuff in the media, he was constantly commenting on other teammates contract situations, and he thought he was the greatest QB that ever lived and rubbed alot of his teammates the wrong way.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, raidr4life said:

Dude had his own issues too. His girl couldn't stop saying crazy stuff in the media, he was constantly commenting on other teammates contract situations, and he thought he was the greatest QB that ever lived and rubbed alot of his teammates the wrong way.

That Odell beckum Cleve issue didn’t age well lol

3 hours ago, Humble_Beast said:

most 6th and 7th rounders amount to nothing, you take a risk at an important position of need. I would look to make a trade of Trey Lance with a pick sway. He has a high salary for a QB3, Lance is younger than Pennix and Nix lol

No brainer imo

2 hours ago, RaidersAreOne said:

I bet Lattimore could be had for nothing too crazy. I'd be all over him, and Jaire especially if those earlier rumors of him maybe being on the move were true.

Lattimore would cement this offseason as top tier.  Not saying it would translate to 10+ wins, but it would be the last piece we need on paper to be a competitive team.  Not very competitive (because Minshew has his limitations), but competitive enough.