Boston College Head Coach Jeff Hafley is Packers New DC

2024 DC Search  

75 members have voted

1. 1. Who do you WANT to be the next DC?

• Jeff Hafley
    • Jim Leonhard
    • Wink Martindale
    • Ejiro Evero
    • Christian Parker
    • Zach Orr
    • Jesse Minter
    • Anthony Weaver
    • Chris Hewitt
    • Al Harris
    • Larry Foote
    • Aden Durde
    • Dennard Wilson
    • Aubrey Pleasant
    • Brandon Staley
    • Joe Barry
    • Bobby Babich
    • Mike Vrabel
    • Leslie Frazier
    • Chris Harris

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 02/01/2024 at 01:07 AM

I'll give it till November before you are begging for Barry to be back!!!

Welcome to the world of getting beat deep regularly and often, teams will no longer run on us as they will play fake and get our dumb DBs to bite every time. With our inept pass rush, QBs will have all day to pick us apart. And we all wanted a more aggressive defence and we'll die by it now!!! You'll all be wishing for 10 yard cushions and the words 'bend but don't break' will be echoing in your tiny heads...

Initially, you'll be in denial, blaming the lack of quality Safeties and Linebackers to execute the scheme. You'll say 'give it a year.' But with the opposition scoring quickly and on every possession, Jordan Love will crumble as the pressure to respond mounts and in turn destroying what was once a promising future.

We are doomed!!! Mark my words!!!! We are doomed!!!

Edited by Brit Pack
  • Like 5

8 minutes ago, Brit Pack said:

Welcome to the world of getting beat deep regularly and often, teams will no longer run on us as they will play fake and get our dumb DBs to bite every time. With our inept pass rush, QBs will have all day to pick us apart. Amd we all wanted a more aggressive defence and we'll die by it now!!! You'll all be wishing for 10 yard cushions and the words 'bend but don't break' will be echoing in your tiny heads...

Initially you'll be denial, blaming the lack of quality Safeties and Linebackers to execute the scheme. You'll say 'give it a year.' But with the opposition scoring quickly on every possession, Jordan Love will crumble as the pressure to respond mounts and in turn destroying what was once a promising future.

Very British take. No wonder you bow to monarchy.

Keep me safe m'lord!

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Brit Pack said:

Welcome to the world of getting beat deep regularly and often, teams will no longer run on us as they will play fake and get our dumb DBs to bite every time. With our inept pass rush, QBs will have all day to pick us apart. And we all wanted a more aggressive defence and we'll die by it now!!! You'll all be wishing for 10 yard cushions and the words 'bend but don't break' will be echoing in your tiny heads...

Initially, you'll be in denial, blaming the lack of quality Safeties and Linebackers to execute the scheme. You'll say 'give it a year.' But with the opposition scoring quickly and on every possession, Jordan Love will crumble as the pressure to respond mounts and in turn destroying what was once a promising future.

LOL .. you are a treat.  

• Like 3

I've slept on it and i'm feeling neither meh or yay about this hire but I do feel having someone who offers something "different" can be a good thing for us.

On paper he does make alot of sense and it's important to LaFleur that he has a good comfort level with leaving the defence to his new coordinator whilst he focuses on the offence.

If we were willing to have Leonhard come from college to coordinate our defence then we should be ok with this.

I always felt LaFleur would hire somebody that he either knows directly or through his circle of head coaching friends. He just never popped up on my radar probably because I assumed a head coach would not willing drop down to defensive coordinator.

Watching a few videos of him, you can tell right away he's very switched on, knowledgeable and comfortable with speaking. A few coaching videos suggests he's a guy who all business. You can see why he was hired as a head coach. That's probably what LaFleur wants, someone who takes charge of the entire defence.

However I await the inevitable Haf-wit jibes the next time things go wrong 🤣

Glass Haf empty

Haftime Hafley (could be flexible as an insult or compliment)

Haf way there and just living on a prayer

Haf-mast

Haf-baked

Haf priced coordinator

Haf hearted

Haf asleep

Edit: The reason we never heard anything about him is because he was from College. Green Bay didn't have to go through an NFL procedure of interviewing people so it was much easier to keep this quiet. Whereas an NFL coach interview would need to be requested via the NFL and that information is openly shared out.

Edited by Chili
  • Like 4

Any good coach has to adapt to what the offense is trying to do. At Boston College he didn't exactly play against the best quarterbacks in the game. He could get away with a lot of single high safety looks. 

Any NFL coordinator has to mix it up some otherwise offenses will pick it apart. I'm not going to rush to judge this guy. I'll give him at least two regular season games before I do that! 😆

8 hours ago, PossibleCabbage said:

Yeah, every defense is going to have two guys on the edge of the defensive front because of geometry, but everything else is negotiable.

Remember the 1-5-5. Man that was good times

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Brat&Beer said:

2 point gives you better vision of the backfield and gives the option of dropping into coverage. 3 point enables you to explode out of your stance. Aaron Kampman had a tough time going from 3 point to 2 point because he was such a technician at that. Pretty sure Gary and Van Ness played 3 point in college so going from 2 to 3 won't be much of a transition for 

Thats a bit of my point with Kampman.  He was really good out of a 3 point stance in rushing the passer, so let him do that.   He didn’t understand dropping into coverage so 2 vs 3 point stance didn't help.  At least let him use the stance that allows his strengths to be a strength. 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, thrILL! said:

You don’t see Power 5 HCs leave for NFL coordinator jobs very often.  Makes this feel less of a backup plan and more like one of MLF’s top choices all along.  How often do NFL HCs even put out feelers to P5 HCs?   

Transfer portal and NIL is in its infancy.  Time will tell if those P5 confetnce coaches at bottom half type programs begin to go from college to nfl.

Hafley also had a decent amount NFL experience vs a CFL lifer

• Like 4

1 hour ago, squire12 said:

Thats a bit of my point with Kampman.  He was really good out of a 3 point stance in rushing the passer, so let him do that.   He didn’t understand dropping into coverage so 2 vs 3 point stance didn't help.  At least let him use the stance that allows his strengths to be a strength. 

I dont know if it was a comprehension problem as much as a stiffness problem. Kampman didnt have the hips for dropping. Certainly not in a high tier doing it like he was rushing the passer

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, HokieHigh said:

I dont know if it was a comprehension problem as much as a stiffness problem. Kampman didnt have the hips for dropping. Certainly not in a high tier doing it like he was rushing the passer

Kampman was a slimmed down DT as well.  That is a pretty big ask of a guy that had already dropped weight and added mobility.  

2 hours ago, Chili said:

I've slept on it and i'm feeling neither meh or yay about this hire but I do feel having someone who offers something "different" can be a good thing for us.

On paper he does make alot of sense and it's important to LaFleur that he has a good comfort level with leaving the defence to his new coordinator whilst he focuses on the offence.

If we were willing to have Leonhard come from college to coordinate our defence then we should be ok with this.

I always felt LaFleur would hire somebody that he either knows directly or through his circle of head coaching friends. He just never popped up on my radar probably because I assumed a head coach would not willing drop down to defensive coordinator.

Watching a few videos of him, you can tell right away he's very switched on, knowledgeable and comfortable with speaking. A few coaching videos suggests he's a guy who all business. You can see why he was hired as a head coach. That's probably what LaFleur wants, someone who takes charge of the entire defence.

However I await the inevitable Haf-wit jibes the next time things go wrong 🤣

Glass Haf empty

Haftime Hafley (could be flexible as an insult or compliment)

Haf way there and just living on a prayer

Haf-mast

Haf-baked

Haf priced coordinator

Haf hearted

Haf asleep

Edit: The reason we never heard anything about him is because he was from College. Green Bay didn't have to go through an NFL procedure of interviewing people so it was much easier to keep this quiet. Whereas an NFL coach interview would need to be requested via the NFL and that information is openly shared out.

Hopefully he comes in half cocked, guns blazing and we fully embrace Hafley. Also hope coach loves him like his better half..

I will be monitoring how long before my autocorrect stops switching to Hadley. 

• Like 3

Baltimore is in a tough spot atm.

With Washington missing out on Johnson and Macdonald they are in a holding pattern whilst they figure out what their next move will be.

This means as one of their second interviewees, Anthony Weaver is still waiting on their answer.

In the meantime Macdonald leaves, Wilson leaves. Macdonald probably will bring Orr with him as DC. Baltimore won't be able to stop him from going unless they offer him the coordinator job without knowing what is happening to Weaver.

If Weaver ends up with the HC gig then he might poach another member of the Ravens defensive staff. There will be almost nothing left of their staff.

They probably will try to bring back Martindale as DC if the worse comes to the worst

Edited by Chili
  • Like 1

Okay, finally caught up.

Lots of pages full of optimism for a guy that wasn't even in the poll that seemed to have endless names on it.

I'm not surprised that the job went to someone that nobody knew about...so far as this job opening was concerned.

I'm both underwhelmed by the choice as well as very excited by the choice.

I like how he talks, I like his youth.  I LOVE how he talked about playing defensive backs.  It is all making sense to me.

But ultimately it is the results that will matter.

• Like 3