Boston College Head Coach Jeff Hafley is Packers New DC

2024 DC Search  

75 members have voted

1. 1. Who do you WANT to be the next DC?

• Jeff Hafley
    • Jim Leonhard
    • Wink Martindale
    • Ejiro Evero
    • Christian Parker
    • Zach Orr
    • Jesse Minter
    • Anthony Weaver
    • Chris Hewitt
    • Al Harris
    • Larry Foote
    • Aden Durde
    • Dennard Wilson
    • Aubrey Pleasant
    • Brandon Staley
    • Joe Barry
    • Bobby Babich
    • Mike Vrabel
    • Leslie Frazier
    • Chris Harris

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 02/01/2024 at 01:07 AM

40 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

Yeah, I like Morgan.  I haven't looked at Barton yet.

I'll let someone else take Powers.

But that's what I like.  Taking a guy with flexibility to play tackle or convert to guard versus a pure G or C in round one.

Maybe Powers is really that good, I don't really know.

And personally, I feel like Myers is going to be extended and be our center for a while.

Yeah I think Myers is definitely in the long term plans in regards to the Packers. Of course, he has to do his part to accomplish that. 

• Like 2

Not lobbying for anything.  But *IF* they did choose to spend a high pick on an IOL, I wonder if such a specimen would be both a talented pass-blocker and also a talented run-blocker, perhaps even in short yardage?  

Nobody builds a roster to be good on short-yardage plays.  But man we fail on a lot of those.  Cost us a shot at the SB.  

1 hour ago, CWood21 said:

Look less at the exceptions when trying to come to a conclusion.

There are many more than this.  Its not an exception when 20 seconds of thought brings 4 players that were really ******* good in round 4 or later. 

• Like 1

On 2/8/2024 at 6:14 AM, OneTwoSixFive said:

Haven't seen any postings by @MrBobGray  for a while. I'd be interested to hear his take.

But did you want said take like two weeks late and ill-informed?  Obviously rhetorical question because it's the only way I deliver em.

Boring but true answer though is that this is as "wait and see" as you can get.  Hafley just doesn't have the kind of CV you can prognosticate anything from.  He's never been an NFL DC, he had one year as co-DC at a major program in college, and his four years at BC are meaningless to me because being a good NFL DC and a good college HC doesn't have as much cross-over as you'd think.  He must have a good rep as a DB coach since that's mostly all he's done, but none of the teams he was DB coach for had notable pass defenses so it's hard to say from the outside what that all really means.  From some of the interviews I've seen with him he seems to generally understand the challenges of coaching defense, to the extent you can divine that from TV interviews. 

Here's the thing though; at the end of the day the big question we don't have an answer to yet is "can he keep putting his players in a position to succeed as teams adjust to whatever he's currently doing".  Having a good scheme is nice but ultimately meaningless if you can't keep evolving it, and part of that process is being able to adjust your calls on game day as you see what the other side is doing, it's updating your callsheet before th e game, it's being willing to trim the stuff that doesn't work as the year goes on, but it's also being able to understand why that stuff doesn't work.  And with Hafley there's just no way to know yet.

As far as his defensive philosophies go, it'll be interesting to see what he does with Green Bay's roster.  He's a career DB coach who has historically espoused a love of middle field closed (Cover-1/Cover-3) coverages, but has also played quarters/split field stuff when necessary.  Feels like the strength of this team is going to be the DL with Quay behind it, so first question would be how's he going to leverage that coverage wise - do you play into that strength or off of it? My personal instinct would be to run MoF Closed looks as much as possible, play that extra DB in the in the intermediate range, try to play tighter and more aggressive with the corners outside.  That's going to require the DL to generate pressure on early downs without needing extra rushers though, which means it's harder to depend on your situational or sub-package guys; you need to win with your run game crew too.  Plus the DBs need to be able to handle that; I feel like Green Bay has the horses to at least give it a shot though. 

But really, we just don't know enough about what he's going to do here schematically, and we don't really know how well he can manage a defense through a season.  I do trust Gute and LaFleur though, so they must see something in him they like for this roster.

Edited by MrBobGray
  • Like 6

9 minutes ago, MrBobGray said:

But did you want said take like two weeks late and ill-informed?  Obviously rhetorical question because it's the only way I deliver em.

Boring but true answer though is that this is as "wait and see" as you can get.  Hafley just doesn't have the kind of CV you can prognosticate anything from.  He's never been an NFL DC, he had one year as co-DC at a major program in college, and his four years at BC are meaningless to me because being a good NFL DC and a good college HC doesn't have as much cross-over as you'd think.  He must have a good rep as a DB coach since that's mostly all he's done, but none of the teams he was DB coach for had notable pass defenses so it's hard to say from the outside what that all really means.  From some of the interviews I've seen with him he seems to generally understand the challenges of coaching defense, to the extent you can divine that from TV interviews. 

Here's the thing though; at the end of the day the big question we don't have an answer to yet is "can he keep putting his players in a position to succeed as teams adjust to whatever he's currently doing".  Having a good scheme is nice but ultimately meaningless if you can't keep evolving it, and part of that process is being able to adjust your calls on game day as you see what the other side is doing, it's updating your callsheet before th e game, it's being willing to trim the stuff that doesn't work as the year goes on, but it's also being able to understand why that stuff doesn't work.  And with Hafley there's just no way to know yet.

As far as his defensive philosophies go, it'll be interesting to see what he does with Green Bay's roster.  He's a career DB coach who has historically espoused a love of middle field closed (Cover-1/Cover-3) coverages, but has also played quarters/split field stuff when necessary.  Feels like the strength of this team is going to be the DL with Quay behind it, so first question would be how's he going to leverage that coverage wise - do you play into that strength or off of it? My personal instinct would be to run MoF Closed looks as much as possible, play that extra DB in the in the intermediate range, try to play tighter and more aggressive with the corners outside.  That's going to require the DL to generate pressure on early downs without needing extra rushers though, which means it's harder to depend on your situational or sub-package guys; you need to win with your run game crew too.  Plus the DBs need to be able to handle that; I feel like Green Bay has the horses to at least give it a shot though. 

But really, we just don't know enough about what he's going to do here schematically, and we don't really know how well he can manage a defense through a season.  I do trust Gute and LaFleur though, so they must see something in him they like for this roster.

Agreed. We’ll have to wait and see what he’s like as a coach until sept.

however, I will say I like his interviews etc. but what I like about him and MLF most is the defensive staff they’ve put together. Especially Campanile and perhaps Ansley.

Also think Oghobaase may be a fan favorite

2 hours ago, MrBobGray said:

It's been a few weeks and I've tried to give it a chance, but I just have a bad feeling about this hire.

• Not who we wanted
  • Hard to remember name
  • Tiny little guy
  • Like comically thin shoulders
  • Seriously, what is his name again?
  • Like 2

8 hours ago, Lodestar said:

It's been a few weeks and I've tried to give it a chance, but I just have a bad feeling about this hire.

• Not who we wanted
  • Hard to remember name
  • Tiny little guy

Top line reasoning!

On 2/20/2024 at 12:39 AM, Lodestar said:

• Not who we wanted
  • Hard to remember name
  • Tiny little guy

To be fair, all of MLF's other defensive (not just DC) and ST hirings have been impressive.

Explore sad GIFs

18 minutes ago, Arthur Penske said:

Probably means very little but Hafley was impressive in his first pressor.  Seems like there was wide agreement on that.

Solid presentation. He seems like a strong communicator and straightforward kind of guy. I appreciate that and that he spoke highly of his staff that he’s bringing in, particularly Campanile at LB. They’ve known each other a long time and he believes he’s a very good coach. He also emphasized understanding personnel well enough to tailor a scheme to players’ strengths and keeping the task at hand simple. Of course it can all be coach speak but I’m excited if he can get these guys playing fast and to the ball.