Super Bowl: San Francisco 49ers vs Kansas City Chiefs

We can’t come out flat! Our defense played soft with no aggression the first half. Gap integrity, poor angles tackling and not setting the edge has to be the main focus from our defense. We have to see the motion receiver coming in to block our DEs, it’s insane to think their receivers are stone walling them (again, similar to GB). I’m assuming we will play more man. Pacheco/Rice in the screen game will need to be eliminated, they are going to do a lot of quick throws. It’s already been mentioned, but I wonder if we will put Mooney on Kelce. 

Offensively, Purdy needs to keep the threat of his legs alive. I can see Snead following Aiyuk around this game. We have to keep feeding Deebo and please, please get Kittle the ball. It’s insane that we don’t get him his touches until late in the game. Chris Jones is going to pressure and more than likely stop Purdy for stepping into the pocket. We have to get some PA rollouts incorporated. 

Their defense is playing good especially in the second half. I believe I heard in the Balt game, they allow the least amount of pts in the second half. 

SF - 28

KC - 24

Chiefs injuries by espn

Chiefs Joe Thuney Guard.                         Thuney (pectoral), who has already been ruled out for Sunday's AFC Championship Game against the Ravens, is unlikely to play in the Super Bowl if the Chiefs can beat Baltimore, Ian Rapoport of NFL Network reports.

———-

Chiefs Charles Omenihu DE         who exited Sunday's AFC Championship Game victory over the Ravens with a knee injury, will have an MRI on Monday, James Palmer of NFL Network reports.

Edited by Gravity

7 hours ago, 757-NINER said:

Like I said in the NFCCG thread, I have ZERO confidence in this defense to show up and perform.

The front four outside of Bosa is vastly overated. They've been INVISIBLE against good-great O-Lines.

We can't stop the run and can't tackle in open space.

Hell, we can't tackle period most instances.

Pacheco is going to have a field day becasue we seem to have forgotten how to fit simple run concepts.

I can't shake the feeling that Reid will scheme circles around Wilks.  

We have NO answer for Kelce. He'll definitely have at least 120. 

But that's fine if we can contain the rest of the receiving core.

The Chiefs defense has given up the least explosive plays in the entire league.

Brock HAS to take what's there and not force throws like he has the last few weeks.

CMC has to have big game so we can set-up the play action.

They need to double Chris Jones at ALL times. He can single-handlely wreck our offensive game plan. He's that good. 

I'm grateful it isn't the Ravens becasue I would give us no chance.

At this point, I'm praying Mahomes has an off day and we can maybe get a couple of turnovers.

But this team has looked like a shell of itself for two consecutive games now.

I just don't have much confidence in this group right now.

Talent wise, we should be performing MUCH better than these two playoff wins have indicated.

IDK....having a hard time being as excited as I should.

My fandom can't take three ugly SB losses in a row....

Yes I agree with all that you said.

I think the only really way the Niners can win is if the running game dominates right from the get go and they build up a sizable lead b/c the Niners defense won't be able to hold if they're behind or if the game is close.

The Chiefs defense only weakness is stopping the run and if they put the Niners in 3rd & pass then it's game over as the Niners offensive line won't be able to protect. 

Basically the Chiefs have the edge in offense, defense & special teams and thus I have no reason to pick the Niners to win this game. At the beginning of the playoffs I said the only 3 AFC teams the Niners couldn't beat in the SB were Ravens, Bills & Chiefs and I'll stick to that.

2 hours ago, Gravity said:

Chiefs injuries by espn

Chiefs Joe Thuney Guard.                         Thuney (pectoral), who has already been ruled out for Sunday's AFC Championship Game against the Ravens, is unlikely to play in the Super Bowl if the Chiefs can beat Baltimore, Ian Rapoport of NFL Network reports.

———-

Chiefs Charles Omenihu DE         who exited Sunday's AFC Championship Game victory over the Ravens with a knee injury, will have an MRI on Monday, James Palmer of NFL Network reports.

Torn ACL for omenihu 

18 minutes ago, Forge said:

Torn ACL for omenihu 

Oh no, that's brutal. Omenihu is such a solid player man, really miss him on the Niners. He had a huge play against Jackson with the sack forced fumble. The Chiefs defense is going to still be hell to deal with but it's definitely a loss. 

• Like 4

We only allowed 34 rushing yards in the 2nd half compared to like 150 in the 2nd half

I'll defer to people smarter than me - anyone have a good reason why? 

I'm sure some of that was the game got away from the Lions, some of it was running up the middle instead of the edges. But i'm sure we made some schematic change. It just wasn't as easy for the Lions in the 2nd half as it was in the 1st. 

After watching the "team that can step on the gas and absolutely obliterate teams but can't come back if they fall behind" narrative get chucked completely out the window these past two weeks, not sure what to expect from this team now. Not even going to try and predict what happens until we get closer to game day, just hoping they win

14 minutes ago, 49ersfan said:

We only allowed 34 rushing yards in the 2nd half compared to like 150 in the 2nd half

I'll defer to people smarter than me - anyone have a good reason why? 

I'm sure some of that was the game got away from the Lions, some of it was running up the middle instead of the edges. But i'm sure we made some schematic change. It just wasn't as easy for the Lions in the 2nd half as it was in the 1st. 

Their biggest problem in run defense the last two weeks has been stopping the pin and pull - they have no answer for it and you can best believe Andy Reid will use it in the Super Bowl, too. 

They've gotten gashed on this play over and over again. It's pretty nuts. 

Steve Wilks has vowed that the 49ers defensive issues will be solved before the superbowl. 

he took a lot heat earlier in the season during the 3 skid. 

he was asked about it. Wilks just smirked and said

"I'm built for this." 49ers went on a big run and the defense rebounded in a big way.

hopefully he can do it again. 

Edited by Herodreamer79
  • Like 3

5 hours ago, NinerNation21 said:

Their biggest problem in run defense the last two weeks has been stopping the pin and pull - they have no answer for it and you can best believe Andy Reid will use it in the Super Bowl, too. 

They've gotten gashed on this play over and over again. It's pretty nuts. 

Yep, pin and pull and crack toss have been major winners. Also, the odd reverse. Using Bosa and Young’s flow against them.