Falcons hire Jimmy Lake as DC

SoCalDirtyBird

19 minutes ago, TheKillerNacho said:

I... don't know who this is.

I know of him and remember he was a pretty good DB coach back in the days.  I remember he had some really good secondaries for the Bucs like top 1 to 5 secondaries a few times when the Falcons use to play them back in the early matt ryan days.     Didn't keep up with him at Washington at all though or with the Rams last year.  I'll have to do some looking up and see how those defenses did while he was there.

After looking it up some more it seems he had a few really good secondaries and defenses at Boise St.  and Washington as well. 

Here are all years he had a top 10 or secondary in either the nfl or top 20 in college as a DB coach

2004 Huskies - 18th
2007 Bucs - 1st
2008 Bucs -  4th
2010 Bucs - 7th
2012 Boise State - 5th
2016 Huskies - 20th
2017 Huskies - 17th
2018 Huskies - 20th
2020 Huskies - 13th
2021 Huskies - 1st

Overall not a bad record at all for providing some good production from what he is coaching with some units being downright dominating.  Rather this helps out when it comes to being a DC in the nfl who knows. But it alteast is nice to see he can coach a good secondary when given some talent to work with.

Edited by FalconFan13
  • Like 1

Jimmy Lake made like half a dozen NFL DB starters while coaching at Washington. Was Washington HC until he hit that player and was with Rams under Raheem last year.

Edited by Trojan
  • Like 1

Great DB Coach. Was Chris Petersen's DC and heir at Washington. Failed as a HC. Kind of surprised by this. Figured Raheem would hire somebody to run the defense. Not sure Jimmy Lake is that guy. But then again, I guess I can't say he isn't that guy.

14 minutes ago, jrry32 said:

Great DB Coach. Was Chris Petersen's DC and heir at Washington. Failed as a HC. Kind of surprised by this. Figured Raheem would hire somebody to run the defense. Not sure Jimmy Lake is that guy. But then again, I guess I can't say he isn't that guy.

I think it's gonna be a bit of 33/33/33  more of a collective effort.  We still have assistant HC/DC/DB coach Jerry grey on staff as well and he was really good for us last year helping Nielsen as a 1st time DC.    Honestly with  Jerry Gray + jimmy Lake our secondary better be downright scary.  Thats 2 very very good DB coaches over the last 15 + years lol.     But who knows Morris might still be the main playcaller on defense or he might let Lake try his hand out solo dolo. 

• Like 1