2024 Dallas Cowboys Offseason Tracker

MaddHatter

10 minutes ago, Nextyearfordaboyz said:

Given the angst over all the “talent” we lost this offseason, our forum should be downright giddy. Jones is for sure in the same tier as a bunch of the players who left.

The athleticism and career trajectory parallels Laurent Robinson extremely closely. I would not be shocked if we signed Jones and he more or less replicates 2011 Robinson. Worst case, he’s a quality depth piece.

On 5/10/2024 at 3:48 PM, textaz03 said:

Free agent WR Zay Jones is signing with the #AZCardinals, per me and @TomPelissero. Another veteran option for Arizona, as Jones — who also visited the #Titans, #Chiefs and #Cowboys — lands.

https://x.com/rapsheet/status/1789014513146036336?s=46&t=ktd6JTByZwOAf6VhdnN4wg

Cowboys probably offered Vet minimum 

Bummer. WR3 was probably the biggest area where opportunities to upgrade were available at solid prices and it’s looking like we’re going to miss out.

I hope Jalen Tolbert is ready.

6 hours ago, WizardHawk said:

Dallas goes to Cleveland for week 1. Brady on the mic. 🤮

Awesome!  I wonder If Dak is going to beg for Tyler Smith to play LT that game… Miles Garrett on Guyton could be abusive.

Respect to you guys all here, and I have to resist the urge to meme with the low hanging fruit of "all in"

But on the real, what is your take behind the current MO. What's the rationale and explanation? Also why do you guys think your key players haven't been extended yet? I would think the Joneses would have learned from Dak's first go round.

On 5/14/2024 at 7:02 PM, Danger said:

Respect to you guys all here, and I have to resist the urge to meme with the low hanging fruit of "all in"

But on the real, what is your take behind the current MO. What's the rationale and explanation? Also why do you guys think your key players haven't been extended yet? I would think the Joneses would have learned from Dak's first go round.

idk…Dallas places a premium on the draft and a ton of faith in McClay and the scouting dept. to hit HRs. When it comes to FA, “we like our guys” and late in the process pickups. Worked out extremely well with Gilmore last season. Off the top of my head, I’d be hard pressed to name a better FA signing in past 5-6 yrs. 
Generally speaking I think Dallas has gone too far to the other end of the spectrum with FA. Jerry used to love making a splash, now there’s too much idle time imo. You have a good nucleus, go get players.

As far our big 3, it takes two to tango. CD, Jefferson and Chase are playing a game of who flinches first. Smart move on their parts. Micah’s under control thru ‘25 season, so there’s time. But, it’s a ticking. I’m honestly not sure he re-signs regardless. Just doesn’t seem the type to me. He’s going to get paid big by someone. And, if it’s not Dallas, he won’t care. As for Dak, writings on the wall to me. He’s been good, but like it or not he hasn’t been $55m/yr good. Not when it counts anyway. He has too lead this team, with what’s available, to bigger and better things, or he’s out. I’m resigned to him and Dallas parting company minus a big playoff push after the season. 

Posted (edited)
On 5/20/2024 at 4:48 PM, WizardHawk said:

idk…Dallas places a premium on the draft and a ton of faith in McClay and the scouting dept. to hit HRs. When it comes to FA, “we like our guys” and late in the process pickups. Worked out extremely well with Gilmore last season. Off the top of my head, I’d be hard pressed to name a better FA signing in past 5-6 yrs. 

Gilmore wasn’t a late in the process free agent signing. We traded a 5th for him. 

I also disagree that the bargain hunting/late in the process free agent signing strategy has “worked out.” The whole point of not participating in the annual free agent signing frenzy is to avoid dumb contracts, and save money. And here we are with the 2nd dumbest contract in the NFL and no money.

Since 2016 we have only signed 3 impactful outside free agents imo: Malik Hooker, Jayron Kearse, and Dante Fowler. And at $3.8M cap space only 4 teams have less wiggle room than us. That’s failure. 

Stephon Gilmore was a trade. Robert Quinn was a trade. Brandin Cooks was a trade. So we have done well securing talent with late picks here lately. But free agency has been brutal for about a decade now, unless you like Gerald McCoy, Alfred Morris, Tavon Austin, Everson Griffin, Randall Cobb, Chuma Edoga, etc…

I’m actually excited to see what Kendricks can bring this year, but yeah. Free agency has been a total disaster since 2016, and we have zero monies to show for it. 

On 5/14/2024 at 7:02 PM, Danger said:

Which leads me to the original question. We have no money. We are sitting on $3.8M in cap space. This is because we have the 2nd highest paid player in the NFL this year. There are many people in here who did not want to sign Dak to that crazy deal 4 years ago. We knew this is the position we would be in. Unable to retain anyone or bring anyone in while Dak underperforms his cap hit. I think some smart advisers have penetrated the Jerry Jones brain trust and told him he needs to wait to extend Dak until they see what Trey Lance has. Lance has a better arm and more athleticism than Dak, and he comes a lot cheaper. 

I don’t think people realize that the Cowboys are 9-4 in their last 13 games without Dak Prescott. With guys like Cooper Rush, and Andy Dalton starting. 9 and freakin 4. Some fans are so scared to let Dak walk. SURELY we can find a better QB than Dalton and Rush that doesn’t cost $50M a year like Dak. Lance is going to get the Bulk of the preseason work this year.

If he shows anything at all I could see him getting a humble little multi year contract, and Dak will be gone. We’ll probably bring in a cheaper vet and/or draft a guy to compete with lance in 2025. Then make a push in 2026 with Lance/Rookie loaded with cap space after Dak clears the books. 

If Lance sucks like he did in SF, Dak will get extended at $45+M / year, the money will be pushed to the back and we will try the same recipe as the last 7 years for another 5 years.

So we are “all in” on this year deciding the course of our franchise it seems, but not all in on actually winning anything. This season has almost as much to do with how Trey Lances will perform as it does Dak. 

Edited by DaBoys

1 hour ago, DaBoys said:

Which leads me to the original question. We have no money. We are sitting on $3.8M in cap space. This is because we have the 2nd highest paid player in the NFL this year. There are many people in here who did not want to sign Dak to that crazy deal 4 years ago. We knew this is the position we would be in. Unable to retain anyone or bring anyone in while Dak underperforms his cap hit. I think some smart advisers have penetrated the Jerry Jones brain trust and told him he needs to wait to extend Dak until they see what Trey Lance has. Lance has a better arm and more athleticism than Dak, and he comes a lot cheaper. 

I don’t think people realize that the Cowboys are 9-4 in their last 13 games without Dak Prescott. With guys like Cooper Rush, and Andy Dalton starting. 9 and freakin 4. Some fans are so scared to let Dak walk. SURELY we can find a better QB than Dalton and Rush that doesn’t cost $50M a year like Dak. Lance is going to get the Bulk of the preseason work this year.

If he shows anything at all I could see him getting a humble little multi year contract, and Dak will be gone. We’ll probably bring in a cheaper vet and/or draft a guy to compete with lance in 2025. Then make a push in 2026 with Lance/Rookie loaded with cap space after Dak clears the books. 

If Lance sucks like he did in SF, Dak will get extended at $45+M / year, the money will be pushed to the back and we will try the same recipe as the last 7 years for another 5 years.

So we are “all in” on this year deciding the course of our franchise it seems, but not all in on actually winning anything. This season has almost as much to do with how Trey Lances will perform as it does Dak. 

You can easily work around that by extending your current guys, and utilizing future money. I personally wouldn't advise relying on Trey Lance, if even Shanahan didn't want him then that's a big red flag IMO. The sooner you extend Dak the more money you save. You know what he is at this point, either you keep him and try to keep the window open, or you don't and you hit the full reset IMO.

Honestly at this point, after last season looking at the current market, Dak would be probably looking at 55M a year.

Really hope for your sakes that CeeDee signs before Jefferson, and y'all need to make up your minds sooner rather than later on Dak to avoid any further price tag increases.

• Like 1