Why didn't Mike Shanahan win more titles with the Broncos if his coaching tree is so good?

The Shanahans' tree is the No. 1 tree in NFL right now...

Fifteen of Shanahan's assistant coaches became head coaches in the NFL or NCAA:

Two of Shanahan's former players became head coaches in the NFL or NCAA:

Yet, after the 2 titles in 1997-1998, he couldn't win any titles with the Broncos and got fired, and went to the dumpster fire that the Redskins under Dan Snyder was........

I've made this point on this forum before, but it's really silly to consider Art Shell part of the coaching tree of Mike Shanahan. Just look at their relationship. Just because 2 coaches happened to be on the same staff at one time does not mean they are part of the same tree.

• Like 1

Now that this thread's question has already been answered, can we talk about how much of a cheat code Shanny's ZBS schemes were? You could put literally any JAG behind that Denver line and they'd run for 1,000 yards with at least a 4.5 Y/A.

Reuben Droughns, Mike Anderson, Mike Bell, Tatum Bell all owe any success they had to Shanny. Even Portis' efficiency sharply declined when he got traded to WAS.

TD doesn't sniff the HOF on any other team either. I acknowledge that other backs who had absurd O-Lines like Priest Holmes, Shaun Alexander, and Jamal Lewis don't have the playoff stats...

Edited by redsoxsuck05

1 hour ago, redsoxsuck05 said:

Now that this thread's question has already been answered, can we talk about how much of a cheat code Shanny's ZBS schemes were? You could put literally any JAG behind that Denver line and they'd run for 1,000 yards with at least a 4.5 Y/A.

Reuben Droughns, Mike Anderson, Mike Bell, Tatum Bell all owe any success they had to Shanny. Even Portis' efficiency sharply declined when he got traded to WAS.

TD doesn't sniff the HOF on any other team either. I acknowledge that other backs who had absurd O-Lines like Priest Holmes, Shaun Alexander, and Jamal Lewis don't have the playoff stats...

Shanny pretty much invented the RBBC idea - back then every team NEEDED "the guy" at RB to be successful.  Everyone was looking for their Smith/Sanders/etc.  Shanny said screw "the guy", give me "a few guys" and turned UDFA's into All-Pro's - crazy stuff.

• Like 3