Amon-Ra St. Brown contract extension

Louis Friend

1 hour ago, Louis Friend said:

I think Goff, ARSB and Sewell all get new contracts/extensions soon. 

Jared Goff's extension needs to get done first to reduce his 2024 cap hit in order to help pay for the first year of the ARSB extension.  I don't know about Penei Sewell but getting an extension done for Taylor Decker could give us some 2024 cap relief also.

Wow, that is huge.  Will be crazy to see JJ's and Chase's extensions.  Similarly Waddle will need one soon and interesting to see if the Dolphins will pay both Hill and Waddle.  Also interested to see if Tee Higgins gets a huge deal in free agency and what Brandon Ayuik's next deal looks like now.  CeeDee Lamb will also be a FA next year and likely get over this.   Him being the highest paid WR now may sound crazy but he will be 3rd or 4th relatively soon.  Tyreke had the same AAV but less guaranteed.  

• Like 1

Also, its sort of crazy because he is the first Lion to get a big second contract since Ragnow.  We haven't re-signed many of our own to second contracts since Barry retired so its nice to have another cornerstone finally or three or four (Sewell, ARSB, Hutch, Laporta).  

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

I think it was Rap but someone was on McAfee and said it basically breaks down to $28M each of the first 3 years. I don’t mind that. We knew he’d be in that $27-30 million range. He’s a 4th rd pick who was an all pro while making very little money and is a pillar of the team. He’s earned every penny. He, Sewell and Hutch will be our building blocks for the next 4-8 years at least. 

Edited by Louis Friend
  • Like 1

55 minutes ago, Sllim Pickens said:

Wow, that is huge.  Will be crazy to see JJ's and Chase's extensions.  Similarly Waddle will need one soon and interesting to see if the Dolphins will pay both Hill and Waddle.  Also interested to see if Tee Higgins gets a huge deal in free agency and what Brandon Ayuik's next deal looks like now.  CeeDee Lamb will also be a FA next year and likely get over this.   Him being the highest paid WR now may sound crazy but he will be 3rd or 4th relatively soon.  Tyreke had the same AAV but less guaranteed.  

Honestly it's nice that this will hurt Minny and JJ talks 

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Louis Friend said:

I think if was Rap but someone was on McAfee and said it basically breaks down to $28M each of the first 3 years. I don’t mind that. We knew he’d be in that $27-30 million range. He’s a 4th rd pick who was an all pro while making very little money and is a pillar of the team. He’s earned every penny. He, Sewell and Hutch will be our building blocks for the next 4-8 years at least. 

Based on Holmes, I am sure this will have some void years at the end of it eventually.  That or he will be extended again but I think the void years are more likely.  

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, detfan782004 said:

Knew it would come before draft. Was having doubts this week but good to see 

Knowing something was going to happen and doubting it was going to happen are two mutually exclusive thoughts.

The Sun God has been woefully underpaid in his time as a pro. Glad to see he got his payday and glad he's going to be around a while longer. He's an example of a guy who has earned it and should have younger guys emulating him. 

• Like 3

The only way the lions can keep paying their own players like this while remaining contenders is if they continue to have exceptional drafts. What Amon is now getting paid and what Goff and Sewell are about to get paid makes our window considerably smaller, unfortunately. So the pressure is on Brad Holmes. 

26 minutes ago, HashtagFTW said:

The only way the lions can keep paying their own players like this while remaining contenders is if they continue to have exceptional drafts. What Amon is now getting paid and what Goff and Sewell are about to get paid makes our window considerably smaller, unfortunately. So the pressure is on Brad Holmes. 

I mean, the Eagles are an example of another team that's doing this, too. Like you said, you just have to hit on the draft.

But that also means you might not resign some more "fringe" guys like Barnes or Melifonwu next year. McNeil could go either way.

• Like 2