QB discussion topic

AFF

12 minutes ago, August4th said:

they must feel low on Kenny, man. I doubt he's here after his rookie deal.

I am not so sure that they are low on Kenny.

I see/read a lot of opinions trending this way.  I think the team is fulfilling what they said they would do after the season:

Attempt to bring in competition for Pickett.

It seems the media and fan base are more down on Pickett than the Steelers.

The Steelers as an organization continue to "say" that they believe in Pickett.

They also say that they must bring in more to improve the position: They cut Mitch Tribisky and Mason Rudolph is a free agent

The Steelers want Mason back, but know if he is coming back. It is his decision.

They look for/at free agent options that won't cost draft capitol or a lot of $$$ against the cap

It doesn't mean they have no confidence in Kenny, but they are also looking to take out an insurance policy.

• Like 1

As I do literally every time with Steelers moves, I’m starting to soften a bit on Russ. I think if we got Russ on a super cheap deal AND run the ball about 35 times a game, it could maybe work. If Russ isn’t expected to win games with his arm consistently, we could probably do well. Good enough to win a playoff game. I hope the TEs don’t want any passes to them up the seams, though. Russ can hit deep shots on PA. That’s something he’s always had. So if we can actually pound the rock with Naj and Warren it should be ok. The system would have to fire on all cylinders, though, because I don’t think Russ can put a team on his back anymore. No other QB option available can, though. 

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Steeler Hitman said:

Yep! And I get them every year.  This year's crushes: WR Malachi Corley, Centers Jackson Powers Johnson and Zach Frazier, OT Blake Fisher, JC Lathan, DL Myles Murphy, Logan Lee, and P Ryan Rehkow. Just like beautiful women. All positions, colors, shapes, and sizes.☺️

ec6dc32125c661717079e9b8be0baa50.jpg

bdf09f04-d598-4544-a587-615f1841c6c0.637

For the record, I love both of your posts. Even when I don't agree.😁

Same. I don't take things personal. I just look at players and how they fit into the team. I don't care about preconceived notions or other players who are obviously jealous or feel a certain type of way about other players. I'm all Steelers baby!!

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, MOSteelers56 said:

As I do literally every time with Steelers moves, I’m starting to soften a bit on Russ. I think if we got Russ on a super cheap deal AND run the ball about 35 times a game, it could maybe work. If Russ isn’t expected to win games with his arm consistently, we could probably do well. Good enough to win a playoff game. I hope the TEs don’t want any passes to them up the seams, though. Russ can hit deep shots on PA. That’s something he’s always had. So if we can actually pound the rock with Naj and Warren it should be ok. The system would have to fire on all cylinders, though, because I don’t think Russ can put a team on his back anymore. No other QB option available can, though. 

Russ always threw to his TEs as far as I can recall. He made Will Dissly into a legit weapon.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Dcash4 said:

If they do sign Wilson, I hope this marks the end of Pickett. Not necessarily on the roster but for the future. Either Russ is back because he did well or a new plan in 2025. 

Russ ain’t signing for a competition. This would be a sign of moving on….so move on. 

While I don't necessarily disagree, he is only going into year 3.    If we only sign Russ for one year, keep KP as backup and hopefully learn something this year.

Next year, if we were to extend Wilson or we happen to sign him for multiple years,  trade or cut Kenny and look for the QBotF.   If Wilson sucks or wants too much, move on and bring in another QB to compete with KP next year.

KP doesn't look anything close to a franchise QB, but I do think he has more room to improve.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, jebrick said:

This is why they can't just take a down season and rebuild but I really do not see it with KP.

KP might not be that QB , but he also never got a fair chance at all.  The canada offence and this OL pass pro and possibly coaching is just not helping him at all.   

I don't like wilson, and for media to say his season would have been phenominal for the steelers is comedy.  He had Payton calling plays, KP had canada. Switch roles and see how that goes. 

First they keep tomlin who over the years mismanaged the QB situation as we watched last year.   They should have cut mitch and harvin LAST year as well. Then if they bring in wilson, it might be enough for me to wait it out a few years as they waste more time. 

6 hours ago, jebrick said:

He will sign a 1 year deal at vet minimum because the Broncos are paying him $39 million this season.

For a QB that wants a chance at the playoffs, the Steelers are the best team.

the sad state of the steelers, reaching for a washed up overrated QB 'to make the playoffs'   . So much for building a team through the draft etc. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, MOSteelers56 said:

What will soften the Russ blow is the spending spree Omar Kahn will go on with the saved money from getting a starting QB on a vet min deal.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, bigben07MVP said:

What will soften the Russ blow is the spending spree Omar Kahn will go on with the saved money from getting a starting QB on a vet min deal.

how much will Khan have to spend, or does currently?

1 hour ago, 3rivers said:

how much will Khan have to spend, or does currently?

After the fully restructure and I’m guessing extend Heyward, they will have roughly $40 mill in cap room.

Take away the $5 mill or so for draft picks and the $5 mill for in season stuff they’ll Be at $30 mill

• Like 2

BTW if they sign Wilson…they almost assuredly go get their QB in 2025 unless Wilson totally rejuvenates his career.

I call that a win.

• Like 2

On 3/9/2024 at 1:23 PM, 3rivers said:

KP might not be that QB , but he also never got a fair chance at all.  The canada offence and this OL pass pro and possibly coaching is just not helping him at all.   

I don't like wilson, and for media to say his season would have been phenominal for the steelers is comedy.  He had Payton calling plays, KP had canada. Switch roles and see how that goes. 

First they keep tomlin who over the years mismanaged the QB situation as we watched last year.   They should have cut mitch and harvin LAST year as well. Then if they bring in wilson, it might be enough for me to wait it out a few years as they waste more time. 

the sad state of the steelers, reaching for a washed up overrated QB 'to make the playoffs'   . So much for building a team through the draft etc. 

What I complain about KP has nothing to do with play calling.  He hasn't learned to read defenses pre-snap.  He still drifts to the left in the pocket.  He is slow to get the ball out and not as accurate as he needs to be.  For a 2nd year stater, I expect some improvement over the 1st season.

I realize you hate Tomlin but he has done better post-Ben than Payton has done post-Brees.    Everything you say about Tomlin is the same as Payton but Tomlin gets more out of his players.

48 minutes ago, August4th said:

early thoughts on next years QB class? Ewers, sanders, Beck etc... I think we'll be in the market unless wilson balls out

I would pound the table for Carson Beck.  He will be available in the teens as he is less exciting.

8 hours ago, jebrick said:

What I complain about KP has nothing to do with play calling.  He hasn't learned to read defenses pre-snap.  He still drifts to the left in the pocket.  He is slow to get the ball out and not as accurate as he needs to be.  For a 2nd year stater, I expect some improvement over the 1st season.

I realize you hate Tomlin but he has done better post-Ben than Payton has done post-Brees.    Everything you say about Tomlin is the same as Payton but Tomlin gets more out of his players.

no doubt these coaches benefit from their QB's.  Payton might look much worse over the next few years as well xD