What Super Bowl winner would you say had the easiest playoff path?

CP3MVP

10 hours ago, stl4life07 said:

The Rams were missing their starting safeties too. Wirfs played even though he wasnt 100%. Neither team was at full strength but the Bucs had the advantage of being at home, the Rams on a short week having to travel from LA to Tampa and of course it was Brady whom again never lost a home game in the divisional round in his career. It took a flawless game from Stafford including the biggest throw of his career to Kupp just to win the game. So I dont think anyone would consider that to be easy. Maybe in hindsight yes but going into the game all I heard was "never bet against Brady" and "Stafford still has to prove it in the playoffs" bc agaisnt the Cards he only had to throw the ball 17x so people were saying he really didnt have to do much but against Brady he would have to do alot and he did. 

Brady has lost at home in divisional round before that game so I have no idea what you are talking about. 

10 hours ago, stl4life07 said:

It was Cards, Bucs (short week and travel), Niners, and Bengals.

Thats not an easy road. Again I didnt like the fact the Rams had to play on the first ever MNF playoff game then have to travel to Tampa to play Brady and the Bucs. I understood them putting the Rams in that spotlight though. 

The cards basically collapsed way before that game and were coached by Kliff Kinsbury

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, CP3MVP said:

The cards basically collapsed way before that game and were coached by Kliff Kinsbury

I’m not saying you’re wrong I’m just saying it’s not easy to face the same team three times in the same season. The Rams did it twice in the same playoffs.

Not to mention the Rams were the first team to play a playoff game in their new Super Wildcard round playing on Monday. So them winning then having to travel cross country to Tampa to play a road game against Brady on a short week while the Bucs had one extra day to rest and prepare. That’s not easy. 

17 hours ago, game3525 said:

2016 Patriots

First, the Brock Osweiler 9-7 Texans. Then the Steelers who they historically owned. Finally the 2016 Falcons, who were 11-5, which is a weak record for a number one seed. The comeback made everyone forget that the opponents they faced were not great. 

The Pats played a lot of bad QB's that year (Landry Jones, Kaepernick, Brock, Siemian, Cody Kessler, etc...). 

Also, the Steelers were such a joke by the time they reached that AFC Title Game. That was right after they got on Twitter and ran their mouth. Tomlin should have been fired after this loss. 

Edited by 7DnBrnc53

10 hours ago, MaddHatter said:

It was a bit facetious as I was mocking Peyton who wasn’t much better than Rex that game and the Colts won despite him

My bad then. It's been under 20 years so the wound is still raw. Lol

• Like 1

12 hours ago, stl4life07 said:

The Rams were missing their starting safeties too. Wirfs played even though he wasnt 100%. Neither team was at full strength but the Bucs had the advantage of being at home, the Rams on a short week having to travel from LA to Tampa and of course it was Brady whom again never lost a home game in the divisional round in his career. It took a flawless game from Stafford including the biggest throw of his career to Kupp just to win the game. So I dont think anyone would consider that to be easy. Maybe in hindsight yes but going into the game all I heard was "never bet against Brady" and "Stafford still has to prove it in the playoffs" bc agaisnt the Cards he only had to throw the ball 17x so people were saying he really didnt have to do much but against Brady he would have to do alot and he did. 

That is not correct. Wirfs did not play that day, he was an inactive. Rams were the healthier team that year and it came through when it mattered most. Rams dominated the Bucs in the regular season and did it again in the playoff game. The game only was tight as it was because McVay took his foot off the gas. Stafford silenced his doubters that day for sure. It was a challenge for the Rams to fly across the country on a short week and less day of prep. That's it, all the other elements is hogwash.

Edited by indifference

I'd probably eliminate any team that had to play four playoff games anyways. Any given Sunday, so playing 4 instead of 3 is going to be more challenging most of the time.

And in 2021 the Bucs were a really good team - and the defending champions - injuries or no, traveling  across the country on a short week plus how good the Bucs were - that's probably one of the tougher draws.

And if the Bucs avoid the Rams, they would have had a GREAT shot to be back to back champs.

And what is our criteria here? Someone said the Rams were lucky to avoid the Chiefs, but the Bengals beat the Chiefs twice that year. Are we just looking at team stats/dvoa for strength? How hot a team was at the time? If that's the criteria the Bengals had gotten pretty hot

On 3/5/2024 at 7:09 AM, notthatbluestuff said:

The Rams definitely lucked out avoiding the dynastic Chiefs - instead getting to play a happy-to-be-there Bengals outfit. And they still barely won.

I'd agree the Rams had a really easy path, especially for a 4 seed. But the barely won is in large part due to OBJ tearing his ACL in the 2nd quarter and the Bengals getting a free 75 yard TD to start the 2nd half. The Rams outplayed the Bengals in virtually every way besides turnovers. And the turnovers only amounted to 3 points for the Bengals.

On 3/5/2024 at 7:09 AM, notthatbluestuff said:

The Rams definitely lucked out avoiding the dynastic Chiefs - instead getting to play a happy-to-be-there Bengals outfit. And they still barely won.

2021 Chiefs were good but not exactly a Death Star either. They had no pass rush, Stafford would’ve had all day against that defense. They made Gabe Davis look like Jerry Rice. The key to the game probably would’ve been whether OBJ still tears his ACL

• 1 month later...

The 1994 49ers didn't have a particularly difficult path.

Sure they faced the Cowboys but that was Switzer, not Johnson. And let's be real; the Cowboys effectively handed them the game by digging themselves into a hole so early.

As for their other opponents, the Bears were a team without a true star. And the Chargers are probably the worst team to appear in a Super Bowl. They got there primarily on Miami and Pittsburgh s***ing the bed.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Football_Bachelor08 said:

The 1994 49ers didn't have a particularly difficult path.

Sure they faced the Cowboys but that was Switzer, not Johnson. And let's be real; the Cowboys effectively handed them the game by digging themselves into a hole so early.

As for their other opponents, the Bears were a team without a true star. And the Chargers are probably the worst team to appear in a Super Bowl. They got there primarily on Miami and Pittsburgh s***ing the bed.

And then the Cowboys won the very next year with Switzer lol...