Steelers sign QB Russell Wilson

RaidersAreOne

Its a good move for both. 

They got a run first offense with some serious weapons in Pickens, Diontae, Najee, and Friermuth. They got that defense too. 

He doens't have to be great. He just has to play smart. 

Massive upgrade over Kenny Pickett. Just watch

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, MOSteelers56 said:

Tough to hate this move when we’re only paying him $1.2M. Hopefully if he stinks we don’t hesitate to bench him. 

I get the Vet minimum but was real hoping when he signed it was literally for $1.00.

• Like 1

Let's put it this way. The Bills are paying twice as much to Mitch Trubisky to be their #2, then the Steelers are Russell Wilson as the potential starter. Thanks Denver! 🥃

Hate the player, hate whatever metrics said he sucked as a Bronco last year all you want but you can't hate the logic behind the obvious upside/ $1.2M contract of this signing.

Great move. 

• Like 4

Bringing in Wilson on a 1 year really makes me think Pitt still believes in Pickett as the future. Kind of the Rodgers/Z. Wilson "I'll play for a year or two and he'll take over the position for the next 15". The more I think about it the more I hate this for the Steelers. It doesn't feel like they have any kind of solid long term plan at QB. They won't be picking high enough to get an elite prospect next year in the draft. I think they'll be stuck looking at a weaker 2025 FA QB class to save them.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tugboat said:

Makes complete sense.  It was always the most natural fit for him.  Shouldn't have to ask him to "cook".  He can just go back to doing what he did with Seattle early in his career.  Just lean on a defense and running game, make those downfield shot plays when called upon.  Call it good.

And it works for the Steelers too, as he costs them practically nothing at all.  They weren't going to be in a position to land any better immediate options, and he should be a clear upgrade over Pickett/Rudolph.

I think Tomlin and that Steelers team culture in general is probably a really good place for him to go and rehabilitate some of his image.  Out of the spotlight and crazy distractions for the most part.

Yeah I'm with this. Strong running game (two headed attack), top tier defense and a player's coach to play under. If there has been any recipe for Russ to succeed in the NFL, it's this.

• Like 2

I dont think this is some kind of amazing move, but some of the replies on here are beyond comical.

Outside of MAYBE Cousins, who is going to cost significantly more money, who were the Steelers going to get at QB that would make them significantly better at QB?   Beyond that, we wont be in position for a top QB, either, and there arent many QBs beyond that ones that will go top 10 that are significantly better prospects than Kenny Pickett was coming out.    Id much rather us sign Russ for next to nothing than waste another early pick on a guy like McCarthy or Bo Nix.

Wilson is going to be making scraps for us.   Literally less than most backup QBs in this league.   And its only a one year deal.  Its the epitome of a low cost/potentially high reward signing as you can find.  Do I believe this will have a massive payoff?  No, but he is absolutely an upgrade over Kenny Pickett, if only for a year, and he will have pretty good weapons around him (depending what happens with DJ).  Pickens, Friermuth, two good RBs, Austin and Washington have nice potential, and they will bring someone else in.     I worry about Russ' fit in Arthur Smith's system, but our options are extremely limited.

Bottom line....its a one year deal for 3rd string money.    People just love to talk **** over nothing.

• Like 2