Tee Higgins Requests a Trade

The Gnat

38 minutes ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

I wonder how many Bengals fans actually thought this man would:

• Play on the franchise tag with no long-term deal
  • Take a pay cut to keep playing with Joe Burrow

That's exactly what he'll do if he's not traded. No reason for him not to try to push his timeline up, but he'll play if they don't trade him.

• Like 1

I think the writing was kind of on the wall with this.  Chase is going to be the long-term priority.  They can afford to keep both him and Higgins for the time being, with Higgins on the tag and Chase extension hasn't come up yet.  But there's always been an obvious fork in the road there...where it was also always pretty clear that push come to shove, Chase is by far the more important guy to lock up long-term.

Can understand where Higgins is coming from with this.  You really want to get that long-term security squared away as soon as possible.  You never know what can happen in a year.  But from the Bengals end...they really have no reason to oblige his request right now.  If they can parlay Higgins into a 1st round pick or something in a deep WR draft to select his replacement, that'd give them a lot more financial flexibility to play around with.  So maybe they look at options to just see if anyone will pony up that kind of value.  But it's probably a tough sell in such a deep WR draft.  You know what you're getting more with a veteran like Higgins, but you're going to be immediately negotiating a #1WR money type deal, without knowing for sure for sure, if he can truly handle a #1WR role long-term.  Without Chase there to split attention.

47 minutes ago, Nex_Gen said:

Carolina all of sudden has ammo to get this done...

Except he means more to the Bengals than what Carolina will offer.  But I can see a way to pull it off if they get the parameters in place on a trade.  say Carolina gives them #33 and a fourth.  The Bengals could have already set up a trade of #33 and their own third to a team looking to trade out of the first if a WR they want is there.  They can't use Tee to trade up for a WR, because they are exposed at either RT or DT when they lose #18.  But that's the only way I see something happening.  

Mulugheta is throwing this out there hoping to drum up interest.  It didn't happen at the combine.  From the Bengals perspective, they can tag him twice for far less than his agent wants AAV.  If an extension is ever going to happen, then the Pittman contract is the starting point in negotiations.  If it happens, I say it's 3 years, slightly more than Pittman got, but a lot of guaranteed money so that when the third year hits simultaneously with Chase's extension salary jump, they still have room as Tee's third year will be way less than the AAV

4 minutes ago, INbengalfan said:

Except he means more to the Bengals than what Carolina will offer.  But I can see a way to pull it off if they get the parameters in place on a trade.  say Carolina gives them #33 and a fourth.  The Bengals could have already set up a trade of #33 and their own third to a team looking to trade out of the first if a WR they want is there.  They can't use Tee to trade up for a WR, because they are exposed at either RT or DT when they lose #18.  But that's the only way I see something happening.  

Mulugheta is throwing this out there hoping to drum up interest.  It didn't happen at the combine.  From the Bengals perspective, they can tag him twice for far less than his agent wants AAV.  If an extension is ever going to happen, then the Pittman contract is the starting point in negotiations.  If it happens, I say it's 3 years, slightly more than Pittman got, but a lot of guaranteed money so that when the third year hits simultaneously with Chase's extension salary jump, they still have room as Tee's third year will be way less than the AAV

Him being on the Bengals for one year is worth more than a high 2nd? 

Eh, if you win a Super Bowl then, sure.

1 minute ago, General Tso said:

Him being on the Bengals for one year is worth more than a high 2nd? 

Eh, if you win a Super Bowl then, sure.

That's the way our front office sees it.  Look how the Bates saga played out (same agent as Tee)

Same thing happened with Deebo last year. Number 2 guy on a good offense demands a trade, nobody is willing to pony up two good picks+a contract, so both sides eventually come to an agreement. Tee will be back

2 hours ago, 4thandInches said:

In hindsight they should of traded him last off season. This wish of having burrow, chase, and Higgins together was always a pipe dream. Now he wants to be traded in one of the most stacked wr drafts in a decade. 

The flip side of that deep WR draft though, is that if the Bengals can get a team to cough up a late 1st or very early 2nd+ or something, it'd put them in prime position to replace Tee with a much cheaper rookie deal receiver to restart and extend the clock on that to coincide with Chase's upcoming raise.  And having Chase means that rookie doesn't have to be leaned on as a top target.  Bengals can just break them in as a #2/3 target and scale up from there as they get comfortable.

It's just a tough deal to get made, trying to find a team willing to give up that pick and immediately escalate Tee to that WR1 type deal without fully proving he can handle it.

Unless I'm a team that is in the midst of a championship window that they can see the end of, I'm not sure I would give up a pick for Higgins that I could instead use on a WR that *might* be better than Higgins.  Would he be good in KC?  Yeah, but so could Franklin, McConkey, AD Mitchell, Coleman, Tez Walker, Worthy, etc.

It's just hard to sell me on the idea of trading a pick for a WR in a good WR draft.