Raiders sign QB Gardner Minshew (2 years, $25M, $15M gtd)

1 hour ago, Jeremy408 said:

That's another example of how the quarterback position is just naturally overpaid so to be able to get someone that can start for only 5 million more is actually pretty good

Exactly that’s the market and you can argue garner is way more accomplished 

5 hours ago, big_palooka said:

No issue with Jacobs, don't pay RBs with a lot of miles. You can find serviceable guys anywhere. Elu was a mid OT. A day 3 rookie in this class can replicate his impact at a fraction of the cost with more potential upside. 

Good point. If we roll into the year with Minshew as the starter though lord help us.

If we didn't have AOC I would love this move. High-end #2 and capable spot starter. However I am a little confused as to how our FO envisions things playing out with Farva.

I feel like if he is relegated to #3 it's a waste of space, his development and reps would be next to nothing. 

2 hours ago, NickButera said:

Plan C. No one's there at the end of the first, we roll into 2024 with scrubs at QB and a downgraded offense compared to last year and don't put up 17 points a game.

I see this as a possibility. 

There were more than a few teams that got stuck in this exact position this year, and I think QBs will fly off the board because of it. 

This is my fear as well. The music stops and the Raiders are stuck with Minshew and AOC pretty much signaling a .500 season and stuck in the same spot again. The window with Adams is now. They need to make a move.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, big_palooka said:

This is my fear as well. The music stops and the Raiders are stuck with Minshew and AOC pretty much signaling a .500 season and stuck in the same spot again. The window with Adams is now. They need to make a move.

People are being overly optimistic about the possibility of going into next year with Minshew or AOC starting with a brand new system and a new OC in place. Guarantee it will not be running on all cylinders because of QB limitations, or players still learning the new system, or the system hasn't had time to be fully implemented yet, our running game isn't as explosive, we're relying on rookies on the O-line.... etc etc.  

Trading up and getting a rookie QB suddenly gives hope, and grace if we're not great in his year 1.  But if we bail on drafting a QB high it just shows we're taking a year to continue to build the base of the team. Which simply isn't as exciting. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, NickButera said:

People are being overly optimistic about the possibility of going into next year with Minshew or AOC starting with a brand new system and a new OC in place. Guarantee it will not be running on all cylinders because of QB limitations, or players still learning the new system, or the system hasn't had time to be fully implemented yet, our running game isn't as explosive, we're relying on rookies on the O-line.... etc etc.  

Trading up and getting a rookie QB suddenly gives hope, and grace if we're not great in his year 1.  But if we bail on drafting a QB high it just shows we're taking a year to continue to build the base of the team. Which simply isn't as exciting. 

Our fan base for whatever reason seems to love mid level QBs.

If they pass on acquiring a rookie QB just kind of shows they're not serious about competing. This could very well be Adams/Meyers last year with the team

16 minutes ago, NickButera said:

I think the worst case for the Minshew signing is if we DON'T get our guy at QB. 

I expect us to make a move, or try and make a move. If they cannot, which is always possible, AOC and Minshew are fallback for the season. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, massraider said:

I think the worst case for the Minshew signing is if we DON'T get our guy at QB. 

I expect us to make a move, or try and make a move. If they cannot, which is always possible, AOC and Minshew are fallback for the season. 

I would be furious if that happened. Especially given last year, "we tried to trade up but it cost too much" and we get to see Stroud compete for league MVP half the year. .....then we have to watch the same song and dance this year?

I'd rather pull the trigger and actually pretend like we care about trying to be an elite team than sit on the sidelines again complaining about the cost.  

"We tried and failed" is infinitely better than "We tried but didn't actually do anything."

44 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

Our fan base for whatever reason seems to love mid level QBs.

If they pass on acquiring a rookie QB just kind of shows they're not serious about competing. This could very well be Adams/Meyers last year with the team

Coming from the guy who loved Jimmy.

my point is Gardner is miles better than Jimmy. 
Jimmy started what 10 games for us last year? 

We improved from last year.

is Gardner the answer, no. But he is milessss better than Jimmy.
Careful laughing at fans for love mid tier qbs… you literally LOVED a pile of trash

• Like 3

Just now, BackinBlack said:

Coming from the guy who loved Jimmy.

my point is Gardner is miles better than Jimmy. 
Jimmy started what 10 games for us last year? 

We improved from last year.

is Gardner the answer, no. But he is milessss better than Jimmy.
Careful laughing at fans for love mid tier qbs… you literally LOVED a pile of trash

Jimmy G led a team to the Super Bowl

Minshew is 15-22 as a starter

• Like 1

1 hour ago, NickButera said:

I would be furious if that happened. Especially given last year, "we tried to trade up but it cost too much" and we get to see Stroud compete for league MVP half the year. .....then we have to watch the same song and dance this year?

I'd rather pull the trigger and actually pretend like we care about trying to be an elite team than sit on the sidelines again complaining about the cost.  

"We tried and failed" is infinitely better than "We tried but didn't actually do anything."

They are 100% gonna throw as much as they can to try and move up to get their guy. But it’s not that simple.

There is a world where none of the top 3 are willing to move. Like period, regardless of the offer. And that the Chargers make a deal with Minn for McCarthy (can you see Harbs dealing with us over them for his golden boy?).

All the noise that has been coming out and now couple it with the Minshew signing and all signs point to then doing everything they can to move up. But that doesn’t mean it will happen…

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, reddevil said:

They are 100% gonna throw as much as they can to try and move up to get their guy. But it’s not that simple.

There is a world where none of the top 3 are willing to move. Like period, regardless of the offer. And that the Chargers make a deal with Minn for McCarthy (can you see Harbs dealing with us over them for his golden boy?).

All the noise that has been coming out and now couple it with the Minshew signing and all signs point to then doing everything they can to move up. But that doesn’t mean it will happen…

This is true. I don't think top 3 or bust this year either, I just think more of "if we get the last guy available, that sucks". If we trade up because we think Penix or McCarthy is "that guy" I'd be happy. And it's like AP said, everyone has their price. We can get it done somewhere in the top 5-7 teams I'm sure of it.