Could Sam Darnold Actually Be A Long-Term Answer For The Vikings?

9 hours ago, cp0k2 said:

Somehow this dude is only 26 years old. Seems like he's sucked for a decade at this point, and yet he keeps getting work. 

Sammy Sleeves for a new generation.

He would have benefitted from being a backup for a stable organization with the possibility to have a Geno-like emergence later in his career. I am skeptical that he will turn it around in Minnesota.

He's the Michael Beasley of the NFL. He's everything NFL coaches look for in a modern quarterback, but he lacks the soft skills to put it all together. I still think of when he played the Raiders as a Jet in his second season. He was making trick shot after trick shot and looked like a top 10 QB.

• Like 1

I actually think he can have a resurgence similar to Baker. 

O'Connell's system is McVay/Shanahan's so he should have a grasp going in. I loved the 6 game stretch we saw in Carolina. I dont give any validity to his time in New York.

I would not be shocked to see him have success with Justin Jefferson/Addison/Hockenson. Bring in a RB via draft. It can be a WC team in the NFC. 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Rich7sena said:

He would have benefitted from being a backup for a stable organization with the possibility to have a Geno-like emergence later in his career.

Isn't that what he just did? 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, NYRaider said:

If he can't do it in Minny with those weapons and KOC he's doomed

That's kind of what I was thinking too.  It's a two-edged sword.  Minnesota is the best opportunity he could possibly ask for, but if he fizzles out there, you can stick a fork in him.  You never know.  Maybe they will get lucky and things will suddenly click for him and he will finally be able to put his physical tools to good use.

I've seen SO MANY people on social media (ex-NFL QB's even) trying to prop up Sam Darnold going to the Vikings as some really under the radar, master-class move and I'm just like "Did you guys watch the same Sam Darnold that everyone else did for the last like 6 years?! The guy is terrible."

So no. He wont'.

• Like 2