Bears trade for WR Keenan Allen

CBears019

5 hours ago, Sugashane said:

IDK. I imagine 1-2-3 all being QB, 4 bring MHJ, but there's just a lot of talent with Nabers, Alt, Fashanu, RO, and there just always seems to be at least two defenders in the top 10, there is always 1 at minimum I believe. But I wouldnt be surprised if someone jumps up for JJ in the top 10 at this point. The talk of JJ jumping Maye is absurd to me, but him being valued in the top 10 due to being a QB I can see.

I'd love to be at 1.9 and someone offer a pair of 1st rounders (24 and 25) to make a jump for a QB. I'm not tied to any one player but getting a WR, Bowers, or OL would definitely make me feel better with Allen (currently) being a FA in 2025, and seeing what CHI did to Tru and Fields I would MUCH rather overload an offense around the rookie QB than underman him.

Really it comes down to the Giants imo.

1-5 are pretty much guaranteed to be be 3 QB and 2 WR.

I doubt the Giants would be the team to reach on McCarthy 

5 hours ago, SLCbear said:

The problem is that Turner and the CBs are the only defenders worthy of a top-10 pick and Turner isn't getting past AtL, we're DeF not taking a Corner

Odunze and BB are top-5 worthy and fall to us at 9,  AnD we can possibly move down a few more spots and still get Bowers 

Verse chop any of the projected 1st round DTs are nowhere NeAR the prospects that Odunze or Bowers are. Everett and Allen are perfect bridge-mentors for Rome and Brock.  Allen is about to turn 32 and has missed 11 games the past 2 seasons. You want to pass up Rome Odunze bc we can get 2-3 more good seasons out of Allen (if he signs an extension and STaYs healthy) 

Rome/Brock >>>>> any Defensive player in this Draft

I like Brock a whole lot, but do you really not think that he’s kinda off our radar with Kmet already locked in long term and a Waldron special in Everett just added? Also, his medical is at least somewhat questionable right now, no? Had a serious ankle injury last year for which had the tightrope surgery, and now hasn’t participated in the combine or UGA pro day. Might be nothing, but might be something.

I love Odunze’s skill set too and think he’s gonna be really good, but I am also higher on Verse than most - he’s a strong run defender and while he’s not super bendy his speed-to-power conversion is sick. I think he’s gonna be a perennial double digit sack guy in the NFL and he’s a guy that fits all of Flus’ known desires at edge rusher (fast, long, strong, not a liability against the run, high motor). FWIW, NFL.com has him with their 5th highest player grade amongst all prospects:

IMG-4868.jpg

I would take Verse at 9 and be totally fine with it but if you can get him after a small trade down (and I think you can)? Even better. The goal of the draft (and offseason in general) is to add top talent. To me both Verse and Odunze are top talents, with the differentiators for me being that we already added a top talent at WR, and that DE is far shallower than WR in the draft. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, malagabears said:

The CAP hit being reported is kinda fishy. Normally the trading team eats any bonus money structured into the current deal which means the Bears should only be on the hook for 18M. I'd look at extending him after the season for something like 2/22M with 14M guaranteed and a 12M signing bonus if he keeps his current stats.

I think he will age well as a saavy vet who knows the route tree very well and will be the WR2. I could see Poles trading 1.9 into the late teens (15-18) & get back a 2nd in the high 30 or lower 40's. The elephant in the room now is JF and what kind of return you get for him after the due diligence on all QB targets is done. I think we might sign a cheaper edge guy and call it an off season until the draft.

Allen has a $5M roster bonus due today. I’m sure that was a driver for the Chargers to get the trade done yesterday. I’m expecting the Bears do some kind of extension for him to add at least one more year beyond 2024. 

2 hours ago, Madmike90 said:

Side note…what number is he going to wear? 😂

Gotta think the question is really what number is Caleb Williams gonna wear, right? Allen is a potential HOF and will already be here 6 weeks by the time Williams is drafted. If he wants 13 have to think it’s his. Also, IIRC Williams said he may want to wear a different number anyway. 

All those people who got Williams 13 jerseys early may have buyer’s remorse… 

5 minutes ago, AZBearsFan said:

Gotta think the question is really what number is Caleb Williams gonna wear, right? Allen is a potential HOF and will already be here 6 weeks by the time Williams is drafted. If he wants 13 have to think it’s his. Also, IIRC Williams said he may want to wear a different number anyway. 

All those people who got Williams 13 jerseys early may have buyer’s remorse… 

I suspect Williams wants #0...issue is will George allow it? Hopefully so for what is suppose to be a fresh start for your franchise at QB

21 minutes ago, Madmike90 said:

I suspect Williams wants #0...issue is will George allow it? Hopefully so for what is suppose to be a fresh start for your franchise at QB

Not just making jokes about fanfiction, I am genuinely very curious to see what George thinks of Caleb.  George seems to be a moderately progressive guy, but also represents a very old school way of football.  Caleb is coming in from the opposite corner.   I doubt they're going to have a ton of daily interaction but it's just interesting from a human point of view.

As for Allen, I love the player, but really wonder how available he'll be.  He had over 1200yds last year but still missed a couple games, and missed more in 22.  That said, he's always been one of those players I love to watch. Even when he doesn't get the ball I always thought he was so cool and technical in how he runs routes.  Any reservations I have are kind of dwarfed by how much I want to watch him move in navy and orange. 

As for strategy,  I'm getting a little confused whether we're a build through the draft team and it's all part of a plan, or whether we're in win now mode, as the moves made over the last year could go either way.  The part I do like is that they do seem to be making as smooth a landing strip as they can for rookie QB. Still hoping they prioritize offense with first couple picks,  hopefully involving a trade down.  Given the strength of O vs D at the top of the draft I really hope the only way they take a defensive player before R4 is with a trade down and a player seriously falling. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Bowler1215 said:

Good move, we can use all the help we can get.  However, this move kinda has the Pace 'win now' feel to me.  I thought Poles wanted to build the team through the draft, not act like Pace with 'give draft picks away like candy'

To me it is more about ensuring his rookie QB doesn't get screwed by a lack of talent like Pace did to Tru and Poles already did to Fields during the rebuild. 

I am really surprised at the volume of picks he's traded away though.  Proven players with Sweat and Allen, and Bates at least sounds like a good player to have.  Maybe he plans to recoup something from trading 1.9 and Fields and that made the picks easier for him to part with.

• Like 3

Always nice to hear too when a teams fans are sad to see a player go.   

When they are like - suckers.  That is usually bad.

Fans of division opponents are happy to see him go too.