Bears trade for WR Keenan Allen

CBears019

5 hours ago, AZBearsFan said:

It seems an odd position to take unless you can speak specifically that they don’t have the “right mental wiring.” Specifically, both DEs are known for having relentless motors and good understanding of the nuances of the game. What wiring are you talking about that they apparently don’t have? 

The wiring that leads them to max out their superior natural talent   

Top 5-10  Prospects with ALLL that skill, talent 'motor' need to thoroughly DoMinate college competition every game. 

Zacch Pickens is a great example of superior talent and wiring concerns

The CBs are the Defensive prizes in this particular Draft

1 hour ago, SLCbear said:

The wiring that leads them to max out their superior natural talent   

Top 5-10  Prospects with ALLL that skill, talent 'motor' need to thoroughly DoMinate college competition every game. 

Zacch Pickens is a great example of superior talent and wiring concerns

The CBs are the Defensive prizes in this particular Draft

Maybe Zacch Pickens just isn’t very good. Guys fail at the NFL for a lot of reasons. Justin Fields is a perfect example of this.

How are you determining how guys are “wired” without actually talking to them or interacting with them? On what specifically are you concluding that Verse or Turner or whoever aren’t “wired” as well as Odunze or Bowers for success? Because they were great in college? There are countless examples of guys who dominated college football but sucked as pros and a whole lot who were average in college but significantly better in the NFL. 

Edited by AZBearsFan
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, AZBearsFan said:

Maybe Zacch Pickens just isn’t very good. Guys fail at the NFL for a lot of reasons. Justin Fields is a perfect example of this.

How are you determining how guys are “wired” without actually talking to them or interacting with them? On what specifically are you concluding that Verse or Turner or whoever aren’t “wired” as well as Odunze or Bowers for success? Because they were great in college? There are countless examples of guys who dominated college football but sucked as pros and a whole lot who were average in college but significantly better in the NFL. 

Agreed.  Even then scheme can be a big deal too. Mack was fantastic for the Bears even when his stays didn't show it due to the amount of attention he commanded and how the offense had to scheme specifically to try and hold him up (running key motions toward him to get him to account for that and then double teaming still),  which freed up others for 1v1 situations. Urlacher had some games where he didn't pop but you watch and he was constantly shutting down passing lanes and forcing checkdowns for Briggs, Hillenmeyer, or the CBs to clean up. 

Now if you see a guy loafing that's one thing you absolutely knock them for,  but production alone doesn't dictate success. Otherwise Scooby Wright would have been Luke Kuechly. 

Also I'm not super dedicated with shooting compared to 4 years ago but I'm yet to see Verse take any plays off (Turner has enough it concerns me). Turner's motor combined with his athletic gifts is why I think his ceiling is higher than any other DL or EDGE in the class.  Anderson is the only one is put ahead of him from last year's groups too.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, malagabears said:

Anyone think that Poles will either:

1. Turn some of Allen's 2024 base salary into a pro-rated bonus with 2 void years or

2. Do a 2 year extension/restructure?

I don’t know that they have to do 1.  

2. Will be interesting.  Poles is typically a wait and see guy unless you are young with potential and have already shown growth.  Like arrow pointing up.  

But when you trade for a guy you would think you want him for a few years at least.   

I can not stand the Packers...apart from one player and only one player who I always had a ton of respect for...Donald Driver...

Allen coming here to be that safety net for Caleb reminds me a ton of Rodgers taking over in GB in 2008 and Driver going back to back 70+ receptions & over a 1,00 yards at the age of 33/34...these types of technical WRs can be a young QBs best friend and Allen's game means he could have another 3-4 years of really high end play...if he does then it's a massive advantage for this team overall.

On 3/15/2024 at 11:54 AM, NYRaider said:

Last year was the best season of his career.

I texted my fantasy group chat (all bears fans) when the trade happened and the first response was "he's washed." SIR he just put up 108/1200/7 in 13 games last season. if that's youre definition of washed there's no hope for this fanbase 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, HuskieBear said:

I texted my fantasy group chat (all bears fans) when the trade happened and the first response was "he's washed." SIR he just put up 108/1200/7 in 13 games last season. if that's youre definition of washed there's no hope for this fanbase 

Where does that rank on all time of Bears single season for a WR?   LOL

Pretty high I gather.

More I look into this guy the more impressed I am.

Injury and age is a bit of a concern.  Bu the just had a better year while missing games than we usually ever see.

And what is in his head is invaluable to a team.  Even to the coaches.  He wins and produces without overwhelming physical skill.   That is something you want to know about.