Bears trade for WR Keenan Allen

CBears019

It’s a 4th round pick for a guy who might be a HOF. Allen was going to lead the league last year in catches were he not down with a soft tissue injury late in the season (that he may have played through if they weren’t out of it). He doesn’t even have to be that here - if he’s even 75% of that for the next 2 seasons opposite Moore that’s a HUGE get, especially for a mid round pick that as of today we had two, and of which we will eventually recoup when Fields is moved.

As far as the draft impact goes, I do think it makes us less likely to go WR at 9, but it doesn’t take it off the table. WR is clearly a need further down the list now though, and 9-15 or so is the sweet spot for Turner and Verse. Plugging in a R2 (after a trade down) or R3 WR as the WR3 with those two would be putting that guy in a great position to develop too. Give me Verse and Legette and I’ll be smitten.

This move is awesome though. Nice work Poles!

• Like 1

Yeah that "2nd tier" of WR now looks real inviting to me in a trade down scenario... Franklin, Worthy, B Thomas (though he'd be a smaller trade down), AMitchell, McConkey, Roman Wilson, or Pearsall are all guys I'm decently high on (and yes I'm aware it's covering a pretty massive range  draft wise)...   A couple of those are kind of "deep threat" only guys, that I don't think is actually a problem with 2 established guys ahead of them.

Leggette I'd be at least optimistic, ditto Johnny Wilson, and I think Tez Walker is gonna be inconsistent, but look borderline elite when he's "on", and Jermaine Burton might be  a better pro than college guy.

Then the long shot tier Rice might be worth a flyer, both on potential, and frankly to get his old man in speaking to the WR room, and McCaffrey's brother has a lot of potential athletically

I think we still get at least one WR from the draft (maybe even 2), because I think the expectation is that Allen is basically a rental, but as you might gather from the above list, there's not exactly a lack of options I'd be pretty happy with.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Epyon said:

Yeah that "2nd tier" of WR now looks real inviting to me in a trade down scenario... Franklin, Worthy, B Thomas (though he'd be a smaller trade down), AMitchell, McConkey, Roman Wilson, or Pearsall are all guys I'm decently high on (and yes I'm aware it's covering a pretty massive range  draft wise)...   A couple of those are kind of "deep threat" only guys, that I don't think is actually a problem with 2 established guys ahead of them.

Leggette I'd be at least optimistic, ditto Johnny Wilson, and I think Tez Walker is gonna be inconsistent, but look borderline elite when he's "on", and Jermaine Burton might be  a better pro than college guy.

I’m higher than you on Legette, but we’re thinking the same thing here. I like all the guys you mentioned, but especially with two dudes ahead of him, I love the idea of Legette’s upside in a situation where he would draw a lot of favorable matchups. With DJ and Allen in place, a rookie WR3 would have far less pressure to produce big things right away, so in that scenario I’m taking the guy with the highest ceiling. 

I really like the idea of going DE in R1 now over anything else. We’re paying Sweat huge money for the next 4 years ($25M cap hits each of the next 4 seasons as of today) so pairing him with a top prospect at the other DE spot who makes just $5M the next 4 years (or less if we trade down first) can basically offset that Sweat deal being near the top of the market for the entirety of the deal from a positional budget standpoint, plus pick up an extra pick or two at the same time. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Danger said:

I hope he does, but it seems glaringly evident to me that 4-5-6 will all be WRs off the board IMO.

IDK. I imagine 1-2-3 all being QB, 4 bring MHJ, but there's just a lot of talent with Nabers, Alt, Fashanu, RO, and there just always seems to be at least two defenders in the top 10, there is always 1 at minimum I believe. But I wouldnt be surprised if someone jumps up for JJ in the top 10 at this point. The talk of JJ jumping Maye is absurd to me, but him being valued in the top 10 due to being a QB I can see.

I'd love to be at 1.9 and someone offer a pair of 1st rounders (24 and 25) to make a jump for a QB. I'm not tied to any one player but getting a WR, Bowers, or OL would definitely make me feel better with Allen (currently) being a FA in 2025, and seeing what CHI did to Tru and Fields I would MUCH rather overload an offense around the rookie QB than underman him.

• Like 1

I wouldn’t pass on Nabers or Odunze at 9.  

But wouldn’t hate a trade down because a lot of good WRs in draft.   But always only so many great WRs.  

Also the good DEs always go early in any drafts.   Some tough calls ahead.

2 hours ago, AZBearsFan said:

I’m higher than you on Legette, but we’re thinking the same thing here. I like all the guys you mentioned, but especially with two dudes ahead of him, I love the idea of Legette’s upside in a situation where he would draw a lot of favorable matchups. With DJ and Allen in place, a rookie WR3 would have far less pressure to produce big things right away, so in that scenario I’m taking the guy with the highest ceiling. 

I really like the idea of going DE in R1 now over anything else. We’re paying Sweat huge money for the next 4 years ($25M cap hits each of the next 4 seasons as of today) so pairing him with a top prospect at the other DE spot who makes just $5M the next 4 years (or less if we trade down first) can basically offset that Sweat deal being near the top of the market for the entirety of the deal from a positional budget standpoint, plus pick up an extra pick or two at the same time. 

The problem is that Turner and the CBs are the only defenders worthy of a top-10 pick and Turner isn't getting past AtL, we're DeF not taking a Corner

Odunze and BB are top-5 worthy and fall to us at 9,  AnD we can possibly move down a few more spots and still get Bowers 

Verse chop any of the projected 1st round DTs are nowhere NeAR the prospects that Odunze or Bowers are. Everett and Allen are perfect bridge-mentors for Rome and Brock.  Allen is about to turn 32 and has missed 11 games the past 2 seasons. You want to pass up Rome Odunze bc we can get 2-3 more good seasons out of Allen (if he signs an extension and STaYs healthy) 

Rome/Brock >>>>> any Defensive player in this Draft

Edited by SLCbear

👆🏻

We still have a glaring hole opposite Sweat  AND I would like to beef up DT 

but simply cannot pass on Odunze if he falls to 9 !  can't pass on BB either 

Trade 3.75 for proven DLineman or sign Clowney and Van Noy and then get our guy next offseason. We will have 2 2nds and Cap space 

Edited by SLCbear

The CAP hit being reported is kinda fishy. Normally the trading team eats any bonus money structured into the current deal which means the Bears should only be on the hook for 18M. I'd look at extending him after the season for something like 2/22M with 14M guaranteed and a 12M signing bonus if he keeps his current stats.

I think he will age well as a saavy vet who knows the route tree very well and will be the WR2. I could see Poles trading 1.9 into the late teens (15-18) & get back a 2nd in the high 30 or lower 40's. The elephant in the room now is JF and what kind of return you get for him after the due diligence on all QB targets is done. I think we might sign a cheaper edge guy and call it an off season until the draft.

Edited by malagabears

Allen is getting up there in age & has some injury history with being banged up a lot…earlier in the year the idea of trading for him was brought up and I was against it because I felt it would cost way more than this…

A 4th for a guy who over the last decade has been the best “safety net” WR in the NFL when you about to draft a QB is a steal even if it is only for the next 2 or 3 years max…the value of that 4th round pick could never add up to the experience and reliability he is going to offer Caleb…combined with Moore it gives Caleb two WRs it is easy to throw too because they are so good at getting open…with Allen it might only be an 8-10 yard gain but the ability to keep those chains moving is massive…

Really good use of resources by Poles to get a veteran as good as Allen in here for so little cost and to see the Chargers were still struggling for cap space…

Side note…what number is he going to wear? 😂

Good move, we can use all the help we can get.  However, this move kinda has the Pace 'win now' feel to me.  I thought Poles wanted to build the team through the draft, not act like Pace with 'give draft picks away like candy'

As others have said, we're likely trading pick 9.  and if we do, trade back from whatever pick(s) we get. 

Moore Allen and Kmet will give opposing defenses problems.