Who is the worst current GM in the NFL?

Steelersfan43

2 hours ago, notthatbluestuff said:

Paton was responsible for the worst HC hire, worst trade, and worst contract in Broncos history.

Him.

He was highly coveted too. I remember he turned down a lot of GM interviews over the years. He basically got to pick his spot. Just shows you never really know 

7 hours ago, juice4080 said:

I'd say Dave Gettleman from the New York Giants has been under a lot of scrutiny lately.

Joe Schoen? Pretty sure Gettleman has been gone for a couple of years.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, notthatbluestuff said:

Paton was responsible for the worst HC hire, worst trade, and worst contract in Broncos history.

Him.

And he's still employed with more damage to do.

Bronco's country let's hide.

• Like 3

17 hours ago, General Tso said:

Loomis has been declining in terms of how he's running drafts.

YEa but he had an unreal run where he was hitting nearly every draft.   I dunno about the worst now but he's definitely at the bottom.   

I'd probably go with George Paton.  

16 hours ago, Soko said:

Prior to this offseason, I’d have said Poles.

I like Chicago’s offseason so far, though.

Poles did a good job taking advantage of Tepper last year. The Claypool trade was bad though.

It has to be George Paton though. Giving away so much draft capital for a QB who never took off, then giving him a huge deal and cutting him before the new deal even kicked in. It's a miracle he's still employed. 

1 minute ago, sparky151 said:

Poles did a good job taking advantage of Tepper last year. The Claypool trade was bad though.

It has to be George Paton though. Giving away so much draft capital for a QB who never took off, then giving him a huge deal and cutting him before the new deal even kicked in. It's a miracle he's still employed. 

David Tepper is so bad that he’s saved Ryan Poles’ job. One’s ineptitude does not forgive the other’s.

Upon recollection, Paton probably does take the cake, though. Although I don’t necessarily blame him for the Russ trade, not too much. Absolutely nobody thought Russ would be this bad. Payton’s got to give a pound of flesh for what turned into one of the worst trades ever, but at the time it wasn’t so bad. However, everything surrounding the trade itself has been horrible, so he’d be my choice at this point.

29 minutes ago, Soko said:

David Tepper is so bad that he’s saved Ryan Poles’ job. One’s ineptitude does not forgive the other’s.

Upon recollection, Paton probably does take the cake, though. Although I don’t necessarily blame him for the Russ trade, not too much. Absolutely nobody thought Russ would be this bad. Payton’s got to give a pound of flesh for what turned into one of the worst trades ever, but at the time it wasn’t so bad. However, everything surrounding the trade itself has been horrible, so he’d be my choice at this point.

This is simply wrong.

Poles' job wasn't in jeopardy, it never was. He was given the full green light to completely gut the team and start fresh. You don't toss out Mack, Roquan, and Quinn (coming off his best season) without being given the go ahead. He interviewed, said Pace did a garbage job of adding young talent and put them in a terrible cap situation, and that to have a chance of building a team that can compete consistently he needed to get rid of all the big, aging contracts. This was never going to be a 1-2 year turnaround, the contracts he gave out even reflected this. And while the trade with CAR was lucky to net 1.1, let's not pretend there weren't going to be other big offers either. I mean look at the aging roster that he inherited. Would YOU have thought the Bears were on the upswing? Or that there was much talent to base a franchise on for the next 5-7 years? If so, you're one of the few. Pace made "win now" moves in 2018 and missed because he picked a crap QB and equally crap HC, and that window shut hard as hell. They either needed to do a full rebuild or be in football purgatory as they have been for the last 15+ years. Poles took the job with the understanding he would get to have his rebuild, and wasn't going to rush it.

The Claypool trade was bad, no way around it. But its less damaging than the Sweat trade was beneficial IMO. So I'd call that a wash. He's drafted well and has at most 1 bad contract on the books right now (Nate Davis but he structured the deal to only be $2 mil in dead cap in 2025), the only ones he had that were bad last year were Whitehair (who offered 3 position versatility and had a decent chunk of dead cap) and Eddie Jackson being overpaid (who he wasn't the one who paid AND had a significant dead cap hit anyway). They have all their starters (assuming drafting a QB with 1.1 except Allen, Jenkins, Sanborn, and RB2 in Herbert signed through next year too, so 18 of 21 current starters are set for net year too. He isn't yet in league with DeCosta, Veach, and Roseman, but that sounds pretty far from "inept."

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Sugashane said:

This is simply wrong.

Poles' job wasn't in jeopardy, it never was. He was given the full green light to completely gut the team and start fresh. You don't toss out Mack, Roquan, and Quinn (coming off his best season) without being given the go ahead. He interviewed, said Pace did a garbage job of adding young talent and put them in a terrible cap situation, and that to have a chance of building a team that can compete consistently he needed to get rid of all the big, aging contracts. This was never going to be a 1-2 year turnaround, the contracts he gave out even reflected this. And while the trade with CAR was lucky to net 1.1, let's not pretend there weren't going to be other big offers either. I mean look at the aging roster that he inherited. Would YOU have thought the Bears were on the upswing? Or that there was much talent to base a franchise on for the next 5-7 years? If so, you're one of the few. Pace made "win now" moves in 2018 and missed because he picked a crap QB and equally crap HC, and that window shut hard as hell. They either needed to do a full rebuild or be in football purgatory as they have been for the last 15+ years. Poles took the job with the understanding he would get to have his rebuild, and wasn't going to rush it.

The Claypool trade was bad, no way around it. But its less damaging than the Sweat trade was beneficial IMO. So I'd call that a wash. He's drafted well and has at most 1 bad contract on the books right now (Nate Davis but he structured the deal to only be $2 mil in dead cap in 2025), the only ones he had that were bad last year were Whitehair (who offered 3 position versatility and had a decent chunk of dead cap) and Eddie Jackson being overpaid (who he wasn't the one who paid AND had a significant dead cap hit anyway). They have all their starters (assuming drafting a QB with 1.1 except Allen, Jenkins, Sanborn, and RB2 in Herbert signed through next year too, so 18 of 21 current starters are set for net year too. He isn't yet in league with DeCosta, Veach, and Roseman, but that sounds pretty far from "inept."

It was a joke because he sucks, it’s all good.