Fields to Pittsburgh

BroncoSojia

Just now, NYRaider said:

You’re acting like they just gave up on guys immediately. They gave Mitch 4 years / Fields 3 years to prove they could be a franchise level QB, neither did. I’d roll the dice on QB early every year until I found a star. 

You're trying  to defend a Organization that wasted the #2 overall pick, the #11 overall in a 6 yr span because in year 7, they will now be spending the #1 overall pick on another QB who might actually work out?

That doesn't occur within Smart "Organizations", which was the point to the original post. That's all.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

Don't get this move by Chicago unless that relationship was irreparably broken.

I think the calculus was that we saw how irrational the Chicago fanbase can be in their full-throated devotion to Justin Fields, so what if that continued even though they drafted Caleb Williams?

Teams are absolutely allergic to the idea of having half the fanbase rooting for one QB and half rooting for the other (c.f. Favre/Rodgers 2008.)

Edited by PossibleCabbage
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, Tugboat said:

He had DJ Moore and didn't do as much with it as you'd hope.  He also had guys like Montgomery with fresher legs and didn't do anything.

I mean no...they never put the same level of talent all around him as Caleb/Maye/Daniels is going to be walking into.  But i think it's also exaggerated just how much they hung Fields out to dry.  His play was a big part in what made everyone around him look bad too, and drove more than one WR to completely check out mentally.

DJ Moore had the best season of his career with Fields. 96 rec/1360 yds /8 tds. Not that he is without his faults obviously, but the Bears in 3 years ran a masterclass in how to not build around a young 1st round draft pick. Now all of a sudden they want to start signing real NFL players for their offense which they could have been doing for the past 3 years?

Hes not without his problems, but they did him dirrrrty for 3 years.

Edited by AkronsWitness
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, Soko said:

They can find someone else to suck and play if Caleb isn’t ready.

Tyson Bagent started 5 games for the Bears and went 2-3 last year.  Fields didn't got his second win in a start in week 12, I imagine "every year with Fields starts out bad and gets better at the end" was part of what motivated the Bears to move on.

42 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

A 2025 6th is more valuable than letting him start if the rookie isn't ready?

Don't get this move by Chicago unless that relationship was irreparably broken.

It's about removing the distraction.

Same reason Washington moved Howell.

You do not want another young QB in there causing any potential "division".  Whether that's in the fanbase or media, or in the locker room with certain players.  Just nothing.  You want none of it.  You want a nice, pristine situation for Caleb/Daniels/Maye to walk into as the presumptive undisputed QB of the Future.  And it's worth a positive 6th rounder+ to that new rookie QB, just to get any distraction out the door.  As well as just make sure that all the important reps are going where they need to, toward that new rookie QB.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

Poles tried to make it work with Fields. Passing on an elite QB prospect at #1 two years in a row for a guy that has been mid for 3 seasons was the better route?

Nice strawman argument. Nobody said that, the issue is you using "smart organization" and the Chicago Bears in the same sentence 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Tugboat said:

As well as just make sure that all the important reps are going where they need to, toward that new rookie QB.

Urbz did a lot of bad/dumb/weird stuff in his brief tenure down there but splitting reps between Lawrence and the Stache in training camps was a doozy. 

• Like 1

I think with the Bears heading into the draft with only 4 picks (1, 9, 75, 122) it's absolutely incumbent on them to trade down from 9 to be able to make a reasonable number of picks.

Like even if Caleb Williams is great, it's not smart to make 4 picks when the Vikings are making 9, the Packers are making 11, and the Lions are making 8 when all three of the teams in the division were better than the Bears were last year.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dr A W Niloc said:

I'll say it again:  The executives running the Bears--Ryan's bosses--are not football people.

Kevin Warren? - you might need to look him up.

George McCaskey? - He’s only ever been a football guy, his entire life. He’s basically football royalty, unfortunately.

Whether they suck at their jobs is one thing, but saying they aren’t “football people” is objectively wrong.