Bears take Caleb Williams 1.1

dll2000

17 hours ago, Madmike90 said:

By far the most important video of Caleb you can watch...forget the magician stuff which will instinctively come with time...this video shows the meat and potatoes of what Caleb will need to do in the pros and some of these throws are at such a high level that it is incredibly exciting what he could become in the right environment. 

Another thing that I love about this video is you can see him go through is progressions and attack defenses on all levels and all areas of the field. 

4 hours ago, dll2000 said:

This is most highly thought of QB prospect Bears have ever drafted.   

I can’t think of a higher ranked prospect at any position we have drafted off top of my head.  

You would have to go all they way back to Red Grange or something.  Maybe I am missing someone.  

Butkus at LB perhaps.  

This is my thing too. We keep talking about all the other QB's we have had....we have never drafted a consensus #1 type dude for as long as Ive been alive. Im legit excited to see what that looks like on this team. Grossman, Trubisky, Fields were all prospects but We've never drafted like a Luck, Lawrence, Manning type dude

• Like 4

17 minutes ago, MonserinNC said:

This is my thing too. We keep talking about all the other QB's we have had....we have never drafted a consensus #1 type dude for as long as Ive been alive. Im legit excited to see what that looks like on this team. Grossman, Trubisky, Fields were all prospects but We've never drafted like a Luck, Lawrence, Manning type dude

Bears rarely draft 1st overall.  A quick search says this is only 3rd time in history and first time since 1949.

'41, '49, 2024.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Epyon said:

https://www.sportsmockery.com/chicago-bears/matt-eberflus-basically-just-let-slip-caleb-williams-is-the-bears-pick/

I'd noticed the "Keenan Allen HERE for a fourth comment", but missed this Eberflus comment on continuing to do install. 

Legitimately a quality pre draft sports mockery article (never thought I'd type those words together) 

Lock it up. 

ehh, you could make the argument that "install" in this situation means recall of concepts talked about in Indy and LA to see how his football acumen and recall are

Posted (edited)
8 minutes ago, HuskieBear said:

ehh, you could make the argument that "install" in this situation means recall of concepts talked about in Indy and LA to see how his football acumen and recall are

I always thought was kind of a stupid exercise.  Look at this play real fast.  Distraction - then later - what was it?  

Kurt Warner said something similar recently somewhere.

What do you learn from that as a coach or GM?  It is stupid to me.  

If I was in that situation as a player  I would be like I don't want to do that, I would respond explain the play or concept to me slowly so I can understand it and then ask questions.

If I already knew the play, I would just tell them I already know it rather than showing off some secret immediate recall ability or super power.  

Edited by dll2000

20 hours ago, dll2000 said:

Bears rarely draft 1st overall.  A quick search says this is only 3rd time in history and first time since 1949.

'41, '49, 2024.

Thats a crazy stat, and one of the reasons Im excited. And imagine the odds of landing the #1 pick twice in a row....its simply something that never happens AND this kid checks all the boxes.....the next 4 years for the Bears will be a hell of a ride, Im telling you.

• Like 1

On 3/25/2024 at 8:16 AM, dll2000 said:

This is most highly thought of QB prospect Bears have ever drafted.   

I can’t think of a higher ranked prospect at any position we have drafted off top of my head.  

You would have to go all they way back to Red Grange or something.  Maybe I am missing someone.  

Butkus at LB perhaps.  

Closest they’ve come to this level of QB prospect is Cutler.

1 hour ago, refundmytickets said:

Closest they’ve come to this level of QB prospect is Cutler.

Unless someone is so soaked in Fields love that they're not capable of being analytical;  when was the last time you could make such a good case for being optimistic about the Bears, and with a long view even?

Defense is GOOD, with excellent LB and DBs.  Offense is getting a QB prospect that's about as positive as they come, and has at least OK OL, good TE and 2 great WRs.  No cap issues. No bad contracts.  TWO first round picks! In the top ten!  If you're upset about not having a second round pick, just say this with me "Three picks in the first three rounds"

I can come up with lots of ? and negatives (it's my speciality) but the "pro" list is as long as it's ever been since I was a kid and my favorite player was Kevin Butler. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, BEAR FACE DOWN ARROW said:

Unless someone is so soaked in Fields love that they're not capable of being analytical;  when was the last time you could make such a good case for being optimistic about the Bears, and with a long view even?

Defense is GOOD, with excellent LB and DBs.  Offense is getting a QB prospect that's about as positive as they come, and has at least OK OL, good TE and 2 great WRs.  No cap issues. No bad contracts.  TWO first round picks! In the top ten!  If you're upset about not having a second round pick, just say this with me "Three picks in the first three rounds"

I can come up with lots of ? and negatives (it's my speciality) but the "pro" list is as long as it's ever been since I was a kid and my favorite player was Kevin Butler. 

Agreed. And really if you look at 2025's FA class the Bears are only at risk of losing Allen (if he plays well and doesn't take an extension he'd be a franchise tag), Jenkins (injuries prevent him from getting a big deal with CHI), Herbert (RB2 likely just walks as CHI rolls with Swift and Johnson), Sanborn (if Edwards declines then Sanborn likely gets a 1-2 year deal to bet on himself next to Edmunds), and then Scales is the next highest ranking player IMO (give that sumbitch a multi-year deal Poles! lol). So they have 18 of 21 starters returning for 2025 without offering a cent. That's a crazy thing to me considering the turnover Poles has forced in the rebuild.

To add to the cap flexibility Poles has built, Davis can be cut in 2025 for a $9.5 mil saving, Byard can save $7 mil upon his release if he hits the wall, Walker can save $5.25 mil if he can't play at a consistent level,  etc. I have little doubt that Poles would be willing to open up more cap space by extending someone like Moore if that allows him to snag another improvement.

• Like 2