Bears take Caleb Williams 1.1

dll2000

5 minutes ago, Madmike90 said:

https://www.nbcsportschicago.com/nfl/chicago-bears/bears-news/nfl-insider-albert-breer-unveils-eye-popping-tidbit-about-caleb-williams-arm-strength/551779/

This is going to be the newest thing you hear with these rookie QBs "ball speed" it was a massive thing last season for CJ Stroud where he not only throw with touch and anticipation but was also able to alter the speed of the throws from snap to snap...I have noticed it while watching Caleb and it is a massive advantage to be able to do it...for comparison...watch Trevor Lawrence try and throw the ball almost throw defenders (especially in the redzone) he has never had the ability to do what with Stroud or Caleb can (part of the reason I think Caleb is a better prospect than Lawrence was)...Caleb's range will be especially important as he continued to play outdoors more often than not. 

Ive seen this brought up some places recently, and Ill say its a good thing that Caleb has that range (or at least not a bad thing) Im not convinced that it overall correlates to anything. Especiall not how good of a player a QB will be in the NFL

Again, has nothing to do with Caleb, but I still have a hard time seeing this as some major indicator of success or anything else, or if its just an interesting data point

This is not about Fields.

Does anyone here, even with a rookie QB, feel like our offense is going to be worse in 2024 than 2023? 

I think even without taking an offensive player at 9 we are significantly better.   On paper anyway.  

If defense can play close to how it played down stretch in generating turnovers.  This team can surprise a lot of people this season. 

I think we are still too thin to truly compete yet though.   We are just one injury away from having a gaping hole at too many positions.  

38 minutes ago, dll2000 said:

I think even without taking an offensive player at 9 we are significantly better.   On paper anyway.  

Better WR2, Better TE2, Better RB, Better C (that might get even better) and a Better Coordinator.....

I think its absolutely inarguable that we have a better offense in 2024, its just plain facts. Now injuries may be a thing that could derail this, but they have already set up a better offense, with the potential that we could still upgrade at WR3 (via draft or some free agents still out there) at Center like I said (same scenario) or even at LT (potentially at #9) which would upgrade the OL as a whole from last year.

Thats before we even factor in what happens at QB (which we are staying away form in this conversation)

44 minutes ago, dll2000 said:

I think we are still too thin to truly compete yet though.   We are just one injury away from having a gaping hole at too many positions.  

This is what I was pointing at last year, with how bad of an entire roster we have. We were the wrong injury away from having Stret FA being starters, now we have done a bit better this offseason (OL group, WR corps) but there are still plenty of really shallow spots on his roster, and without trading #1, its going to take longer to build that up

• Like 1

If Caleb played for Texas or LSU this year he would have put up some ridiculous numbers.

Just sick numbers.   What he did at USC this past season was remarkable.

20 hours ago, BEAR FACE DOWN ARROW said:

I actually like this guy. 

I mean, hes saying the right thing there, but hes just so online it worries me. ESPECIALLY with the way Bears Fans and Media act

I get that hes the real first Gen Z QB, but its going to be a weird ride with this guy

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, StLunatic88 said:

I mean, hes saying the right thing there, but hes just so online it worries me. ESPECIALLY with the way Bears Fans and Media act

I get that hes the real first Gen Z QB, but its going to be a weird ride with this guy

The acceptance that he’s the first Gen z superstar qb prospect is what enabled me to shrug off all the weird stuff. I don’t understand Gen z but I’m also not supposed to. 

Looking into all his flaws one at a time relieved all of them simply by not going with the hivemind takes. Cant throw on time? Yes he can. Plays hero ball? By design. Immature/weird? Gen z. The final question I guess is ball security (16 fumbles last year and 31 altogether). Holding it differently in the pocket is coachable. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Ty21 said:

The acceptance that he’s the first Gen z superstar qb prospect is what enabled me to shrug off all the weird stuff. I don’t understand Gen z but I’m also not supposed to. 

Looking into all his flaws one at a time relieved all of them simply by not going with the hivemind takes. Cant throw on time? Yes he can. Plays hero ball? By design. Immature/weird? Gen z. The final question I guess is ball security (16 fumbles last year and 31 altogether). Holding it differently in the pocket is coachable. 

Ty:

Can't throw on time? Throws like a girl.

Plays hero ball?  LOL.

Immature/Weird?  Yes.

17 minutes ago, StLunatic88 said:

If he can get back to back winning seasons it would be a weird ride as a Bears fan, so I'm down. 

1 minute ago, dll2000 said:

Ty:

Can't throw on time? Throws like a girl.

Plays hero ball?  LOL.

Immature/Weird?  Yes.

Careful! Have you seen some of these they/them girls? Deeper voice than either of us and were D1 LBs. Its like in White Chicks when he chaces down the robber. 

kJ5Ltg.gif

1 hour ago, StLunatic88 said:

Completely agree that he's going to be a trip, and fully expect some serious pain in the butt "can you believe this guy" moments, hwoever if someone is going to attack your character, and you're the kind of person who will publicly respond,  that's at least well done. 

Fully aboard for taking the chance on this guy, but there are a number of things my Bears PTSD lets me imagine. If he works at any level I'd bet his contract negotiation is a huge story and he might hold out/in.  I could even see his rookie contrat being a pain like Roquan's.  He'll probably have some public gripe about something the Bears do schematically at some point... Could totally see him being the same kind of distraction that Rodgers was up north to be honest, but if he can play like that I'll take some frustration in exchange for some magic.

• Like 1