Bears take Caleb Williams 1.1

dll2000

8 hours ago, HuskieBear said:

literally everyone that's watched any CW film has said how extremely bad it was. 

Yeah dude I know 😂

They aren’t wrong though cause some of the attempted blocks here are truly dreadful.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, dll2000 said:

He has naturally pink lips and it appears someone used a filter to make it look like he had lip gloss on.   Seems a pretty low move.  

Jordan didn't live a lifestyle I approve of.   **** Butkus was very far from perfect (as we all are).

Honestly, if I went just by people on Bears I liked personally, it would be Fields and Eberflus as two of my favorites.  They are openly Christian and seem very nice guys.  Knowing that, I have still openly advocated for Fields to be traded and have been very on fence about keeping Flus.  

Caleb seems a good kid.  A lot of Bears do things I disapprove of.   The NFL as an org. certainly does.  Many people in my family whom I love do.  I do.  I want everyone to be saved.  No exceptions.   

Happy Good Friday everyone!

Exactly. Is he a killer on game day? If so, the rest is irrelevant to me so long as it doesn’t impact his game day availability. Who am I to say what some other grown man wants to do with his personal life? 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, AZBearsFan said:

Exactly. Is he a killer on game day? If so, the rest is irrelevant to me so long as it doesn’t impact his game day availability. Who am I to say what some other grown man wants to do with his personal life? 

I wouldn’t say irrelevant, but it’s mostly old heads (as used recently) just whining about it because they don’t understand it.

As long as it doesn’t impact his on field availability (as you said) OR impact the relationships in the locker room. Then yea, do whatever you want. Just win games. 

• Like 1

On 3/26/2024 at 6:36 PM, BEAR FACE DOWN ARROW said:

Unless someone is so soaked in Fields love that they're not capable of being analytical;  when was the last time you could make such a good case for being optimistic about the Bears, and with a long view even?

Defense is GOOD, with excellent LB and DBs.  Offense is getting a QB prospect that's about as positive as they come, and has at least OK OL, good TE and 2 great WRs.  No cap issues. No bad contracts.  TWO first round picks! In the top ten!  If you're upset about not having a second round pick, just say this with me "Three picks in the first three rounds"

I can come up with lots of ? and negatives (it's my speciality) but the "pro" list is as long as it's ever been since I was a kid and my favorite player was Kevin Butler. 

Just go back to last season's preseason takes. Not trying to be an *******, we're all fans of our teams and generally get overly optimistic. In our case, Jordan Love worked out. 

36 minutes ago, Old Guy said:

Just go back to last season's preseason takes. Not trying to be an *******, we're all fans of our teams and generally get overly optimistic. In our case, Jordan Love worked out. 

Mate you're probably not wrong, also **** yourself but in seriousness we've gotten pretty high on the hopium plenty around here. 2017. 2018. 2019! 2021. 2023. ugh.   Speaking of trying to be analytical... how do the Bears' prospects look from behind enemy lines?

Are you the guy I bet a bottle of wine with like 4 years ago by the way? It was on who would have more starts: Trubisky vs Love.  I feel like that one's eventually coming due and not my way...

6 minutes ago, BEAR FACE DOWN ARROW said:

Mate you're probably not wrong, also **** yourself but in seriousness we've gotten pretty high on the hopium plenty around here. 2017. 2018. 2019! 2021. 2023. ugh.   Speaking of trying to be analytical... how do the Bears' prospects look from behind enemy lines?

Are you the guy I bet a bottle of wine with like 4 years ago by the way? It was on who would have more starts: Trubisky vs Love.  I feel like that one's eventually coming due and not my way...

No, I'm not the guy you bet with 4 years ago. Wish I could take your bottle of wine, but it wasn't me. 

Sadly, as a Packer fan, you guys have done a really nice job adding pieces for this year. If you hit on the draft, to include Williams obviously, you guys are going to be serious competition. It may take him a year to get his NFL feet under him, but when he does, he's that dude. I've never said that about a Bears quarterback before. NEVER! I literally laughed my *** off at every QB you guys took in round one, to include Fields. Never believed he could process fast enough to be successful in the NFL. HIs eyes always dropped when the rush came at him as well. 

Football is better when the Packer and Bear rivalry is heated, and both are winning. 

Edited by Old Guy
  • Like 1

Raider Fan here. I come in peace.

For the record, I haven't been a Caleb Williams fan. But there are 3 things that determine a QB's success in the NFL.

1) The situation he is drafted in to. The Bears have the best situation that I have ever seen for a QB going #1 overall.

2) The general talent. Caleb IMO is the most overall talented QB in the draft.

3) The drive to succeed. We won't know about this one until we watch him play for a few years.

In summary, Caleb has 2 of the 3 things needed already. If he fails (I don't want him to because it would be good to see the Bears with a franchise QB), it would be Caleb's fault alone.

2024 Season projection:  9 or 10 wins. - Caleb may struggle a little as a rookie (most do), but he should adjust late in the season.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Steins Gate said:

Raider Fan here. I come in peace.

For the record, I haven't been a Caleb Williams fan. But there are 3 things that determine a QB's success in the NFL.

1) The situation he is drafted in to. The Bears have the best situation that I have ever seen for a QB going #1 overall.

2) The general talent. Caleb IMO is the most overall talented QB in the draft.

3) The drive to succeed. We won't know about this one until we watch him play for a few years.

In summary, Caleb has 2 of the 3 things needed already. If he fails (I don't want him to because it would be good to see the Bears with a franchise QB), it would be Caleb's fault alone.

2024 Season projection:  9 or 10 wins. - Caleb may struggle a little as a rookie (most do), but he should adjust late in the season.

Appreciate the post.

While I 100% admit this may be me twisting facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts, I feel pretty comfortable with #3. Williams has apparently approached football as a job since he was like 13-14, and has a father who went well above and beyond to ensure he had the resources and tools to train at a high level. Now was the motivation money, the desire to be a rich and famous individual (so rooted in narcissism) and football is a means to an end, or does he genuinely love the game above all else? No clue. But the drive to succeed thus far has been there and proven in spades.

IDK if he will work out, but I hope for once the Bears do get something special at QB.

12 hours ago, Sugashane said:

Appreciate the post.

While I 100% admit this may be me twisting facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts, I feel pretty comfortable with #3. Williams has apparently approached football as a job since he was like 13-14, and has a father who went well above and beyond to ensure he had the resources and tools to train at a high level. Now was the motivation money, the desire to be a rich and famous individual (so rooted in narcissism) and football is a means to an end, or does he genuinely love the game above all else? No clue. But the drive to succeed thus far has been there and proven in spades.

IDK if he will work out, but I hope for once the Bears do get something special at QB.

Everything I’ve read about him is that he’s hyper competitive about everything. Also, if the motivation was money he’s already made a bunch of that. I’m allowing myself to believe that he might actually be everything he’s been billed to be for the past 2-3 years and it’s uncomfortable, but in a good way.

Williams has had absurdly high expectations everywhere he’s gone and has lived up to them so far, and while nobody says he’s a flawless prospect (something that doesn’t exist anyway), everyone credible has agreed he’s got the tools to be incredible in the NFL. If you’re not all in on that, then what would do it for you? For once that optimism doesn’t feel like it has any Bear goggles element to it. You may not have noticed it, but once we traded Fields, the randoms stopped showing up in here and telling us our QB is gonna be bad. It’s not just us that sees it - everyone sees it. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, dll2000 said:

Refresh my memory someone.  Did Bears fans turn on Justin after his first loss to Packers?

That would have been 10-17-2021.  

Yeah, I don't remember that being the case at all. I remember there being a swell of support for Nagy to be fired but I don't remember anyone assigning blame to Fields to any high degree during that season.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dll2000 said:

Refresh my memory someone.  Did Bears fans turn on Justin after his first loss to Packers?

That would have been 10-17-2021.  

Not the majority. Theres always a small loud faction that constantly has to be given exposure for clicks though, so getting 10-20 examples of "proof" would be what they'd be happy to pull up.

1 hour ago, Bigbear72 said:

Yeah, I don't remember that being the case at all. I remember there being a swell of support for Nagy to be fired but I don't remember anyone assigning blame to Fields to any high degree during that season.

IIRC most of us on the board were super annoyed about him getting zero 1st team reps. Somehow Nagy thought Dalton was going to do something to save his job though? Idiot.

I was being sarcastic. 

Fields had near Universal support before this season.  Ideal pre-season scenario was for Fields to become a star and we trade our Carolina first rounder if in QB range.  

This season with number 1 pick and his questionable play presented the tough choice. 

4 hours ago, dll2000 said:

I was being sarcastic. 

Fields had near Universal support before this season.  Ideal pre-season scenario was for Fields to become a star and we trade our Carolina first rounder if in QB range.  

This season with number 1 pick and his questionable play presented the tough choice. 

I know. I was mocking the doom and gloomers and sensationalists chasing clicks. Just how everyone on social media  "knows" who is going to bust every year and then 90% change that list after a few years once hindsight is available.

• Like 1

https://www.nbcsportschicago.com/nfl/chicago-bears/bears-news/nfl-insider-albert-breer-unveils-eye-popping-tidbit-about-caleb-williams-arm-strength/551779/

NFL insider Albert Breer recently unveiled a unique trait of his that exceeds the rest on the "Toucher & Hardy" podcast.

"I'll give you guys an example of how different Caleb Williams is from the rest of the of these guys," Breer said. "I think Jayden Daniels and Drake Maye are close as prospects. I think Caleb's in a different category. And one thing that was really interesting, I talked to his personal quarterbacks coach last week. And he said to me they did all this biomechanics stuff.

"You guys know the idea of putting touch on the ball and being able to change speeds and how important that is in football. This guy told me basically what they see in-game simulation situations is that a quarterback has about 4 miles per hour range on his ball. So most of the quarterbacks they see throw it roughly between touch throws and drive throws between 47-51 miles per hour. There's generally a four-mile per range on a guy's ball.

"Caleb Williams has 10 miles per hour range. When they worked with him, he's been 46-56 miles per hour."

Not only is Williams' arm strength unparalleled to the average NFL quarterback, but his range is ridiculous. His ability to deliver, not only accurate but various speeds of the ball is special. It's worth noting this isn't Williams', or the other quarterbacks', top speed. Breer said these guys can throw 60 miles per hour and above.

This is going to be the newest thing you hear with these rookie QBs "ball speed" it was a massive thing last season for CJ Stroud where he not only throw with touch and anticipation but was also able to alter the speed of the throws from snap to snap...I have noticed it while watching Caleb and it is a massive advantage to be able to do it...for comparison...watch Trevor Lawrence try and throw the ball almost throw defenders (especially in the redzone) he has never had the ability to do what with Stroud or Caleb can (part of the reason I think Caleb is a better prospect than Lawrence was)...Caleb's range will be especially important as he continued to play outdoors more often than not.