We Get A New Kickoff Routine!

BobbyPhil1781

1 minute ago, bcb1213 said:

i disagree, fourth and 20 you're involving refs with pass interference calls which happen at a much higher rate than any onside kick recovery percentage ever was

Additionally that is also a huge further swing to favoring the offense, teams with better offense can potentially snowball. Like say Mahomes and a decent WR, they can convert a 4th and 20 like 25% of the time. That's like forcing a turnover on 1 in every 4 possessions... from the offense. 

Devalues defense, and inflates offense. Don't like it for the competitive balance of the game.

First?  Thank you to @bcb1213 and @Danger for posting how this looks, because I was not "getting" it.

And without me seeing it, I was opposed to it.

Now?  I like it.  It brings the kickoff back to the game, but without the crazy impacts.  

As I see it, it is kind of like a running play now.  Only I do see where some coaches will put in gimmicks or trick plays back there and it could get pretty wild.  So I see creativity from the receiving team.  I'm hoping to see a picket fence set up a time or two.  (overaggressive cover teams)

I wonder if a rugby type play would be allowed.  Receiving team has a guy whose job is to catch the ball, but then pitch it to a player behind him who is in the end zone and has a running start at the kickoff, only he is not receiving, he is just getting to a high speed.  

And the kickoff team?  I love the strategy.  We should see a line of guys who are there to take on blocks and keep certain players free to make the tackle.  And then even a safety or two.  

It should have a lot of strategy around it.

And for my team?  Green Bay?  Our lane discipline has been messy dog pooh crap for years and then improved to just poor the last year or two.  It is going to clean up a lot of lanes for our guys who just don't seem to do that well.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, lavar703 said:

Sigh. The owners are just killing this game. 

hip drop tackle ban is dumb.  This on the other hand will make there be far more kickoff returns, give it a chance

• Like 3

What a joke. You lessened the collisions on kick offs to mitigate injuries, you incentivized teams to take the fair catch, you banned yet another type of tackle, all in the name of player safety…and then you do this. To bring the excitement of kickoffs back. 

Not a fan, and the league’s never been more transparent than they are right now. 

11 minutes ago, bcb1213 said:

hip drop tackle ban is dumb.  This on the other hand will make there be far more kickoff returns, give it a chance

We don't need to keep having all these new rules implemented every year. Just leave the damn game alone. And the guys who aren't even being affected by this are the ones voting on the rule change. Let the players vote on this stuff. 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, TheKillerNacho said:

that looks ******* weird.

It was at first but the more I watched it, the more I liked it. I assumed it would create more return TDs but honestly, it didn't. This will increase returns actually happening and far less kicks into the first row.

1 minute ago, lavar703 said:

We don't need to keep having all these new rules implemented every year. Just leave the damn game alone. And the guys who aren't even being affected by this are the ones voting on the rule change. Let the players vote on this stuff. 

ok, we can go back then to kickers just booting it out of the end zone for more commercial time, no worries

• Like 4